More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Since being correct is the Accurascale way and as a company support with wheel sets,is it not a workable thing to bring correct spaced sleeper and gauged P4 track to market starting with flexy lengths of it as i guess as there is those who would use it rather than build it. Pointwork and the like could be made if the interest was good enough.Going alone or working with Peco has to be a possibility.

Ready-made P4 flexi track is already available from other sources, as are straightforward point kits that don't require soldered assembly.

It's never going to be a huge market, though as the minimum radius for running large steam outline locos is four times what's necessary for OO rtr. (6' vs 18")

Most of us just don't have room for a layout with the operating potential we want in P4.

I feel Peco would already be doing it if they considered the potential demand sufficient to make it worth their while. As it is, those with a yen for P4 are well served by smaller volume track suppliers.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the opportunity to do 'scale' OO was lost a very very long time ago for the mass market and, a but like TT, the established base is now too significant to be replaced, even slowly. We've provided 'drop in' sets for Deltic, 37 and 31, which to be honest have only sold at very (very) modest levels. All of our models are of course designed to scale, so are easier and easier to convert to scale bogies / wheel sets should you like or prefer, but it's simply not a mainstream requirement.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We shouldn't forget that the HO manufacturers also have to make compromises for their 'scale' stuff going round radius 1 and 2 track. Proto87 isn't, as such, a commercial scale as far as I'm aware, and for pretty much the same reasons P4 isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

You don't need a kit for that, just chuck it together from whatever happens to be handy like they did with the real one...

Very much reminded me of a slightly less stylish version of this, DS1169's predecessor at Broad Clyst PW depot near Exeter.

This one started off as a coach bogie and had a petrol engine, though.

DS49 Broadclyst.png

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And went downhill from there.

The very pinnacle of sophisticated British (dammit, Carruthers) railway engineering.  They built it, and then wondered what they were going to do for the next 5 minutes...

It's probably got a certain je ne se quoi, but I don't know what it is.  Plenty character, though, I'll give it that.  It looks like the sort of thing that went 'put put put put, put... PUTTT!!!! put put put' (guidance for DCC sound file).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Very much reminded me of a slightly less stylish version of this, DS1169's predecessor at Broad Clyst PW depot near Exeter.

This one started off as a coach bogie and had a petrol engine, though.

DS49 Broadclyst.png

Any dafter looking that those little battery things that have appeared over the last few years?

I think they come from Bulgaria of all places!

Jason

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 16:09, reddragon said:

Well my new Hornby class 60 arrived today . . . . in bits, so it went back. Clearly a sign of an imminent A/S class 60 on the way!

I said A/S need to do a Class 60 last year. People said oh no, no, there is nothing wrong with the Hornby model. 
Yours arriving in Lego form is what happened with mine. TBF that may not have been Hornby’s fault. 
Anyway I agree a Class 60 would be nice. Would like a 67 too.

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Mystic Wombat also predicts a 60 being announced at Warley.  Think about it - lot of the techy bits shared with the 92, complements the cement and HAA wagons, and I'd like two (Samuel Johnson, as I used to live near Lichfield, and Cader Idris which I have to drive around to get to town) but won't spend any money with Hornby until they get their act together with their retailers.  Makes sense.

After an 80 class.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

lot of the techy bits shared with the 92

Maybe in terms of rolling stock pairings, but it would still be all-new tooling.

I guess world is the oyster with Accurascale since;

a) They've shown they are not too afraid to muscle in on popular classes
b) Most Diesel offerings would sell regardless. 

What I'm curious about is a few things;

i) There's no EMU/DMU offering from Accurascale... yet. The selection of prototypes is wider... but so is the cost... as potentially seen with IRM Class 22000. They also seem harder to shift from shelves? (Free to comment, but looking at the shelves right now, it seems to be stocked with APT-Es/APT-Ps/ IETs and the newly released S-Stock... which doesn't seem to be shifting as quickly)
ii) Despite some of the flack, Hornby do seem to be stepping up in the steam-department (new packaging/detailing/lights/smoke units now). How would Accurascale follow up the manor?

iii) O gauge is looking a bit light... (even if it's not my area of expertise)
iv) How long will it be before Accurascale clash with Hornby/Bachmann again? Class 08/Class 43/ Class 50 are hotcakes, with the 08/50s making a reasonable case for a NG model (new lighting/motorisation/sound etc).

v) I also wonder if Accurascale ever considered more accessories or even controller units. Having a look at the state of affairs with DCC in US and Germany, our variety seems a bit poor. Only the other day I came across the proto-throttle. Whilst having a limiting interface, the concept seemed pretty cool. Or maybe even more scenery related items? (Buses/Buffers etc)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

Maybe in terms of rolling stock pairings, but it would still be all-new tooling.

I guess world is the oyster with Accurascale since;

a) They've shown they are not too afraid to muscle in on popular classes
b) Most Diesel offerings would sell regardless. 

What I'm curious about is a few things;

i) There's no EMU/DMU offering from Accurascale... yet. The selection of prototypes is wider... but so is the cost... as potentially seen with IRM Class 22000. They also seem harder to shift from shelves? (Free to comment, but looking at the shelves right now, it seems to be stocked with APT-Es/APT-Ps/ IETs and the newly released S-Stock... which doesn't seem to be shifting as quickly)
ii) Despite some of the flack, Hornby do seem to be stepping up in the steam-department (new packaging/detailing/lights/smoke units now). How would Accurascale follow up the manor?

iii) O gauge is looking a bit light... (even if it's not my area of expertise)
iv) How long will it be before Accurascale clash with Hornby/Bachmann again? Class 08/Class 43/ Class 50 are hotcakes, with the 08/50s making a reasonable case for a NG model (new lighting/motorisation/sound etc).

v) I also wonder if Accurascale ever considered more accessories or even controller units. Having a look at the state of affairs with DCC in US and Germany, our variety seems a bit poor. Only the other day I came across the proto-throttle. Whilst having a limiting interface, the concept seemed pretty cool. Or maybe even more scenery related items? (Buses/Buffers etc)

The Class 60/92 connection is one more of the bogies and electricals, the bodies would of course be different despite in real life being very similar in construction.  Having a common chassis and bogie train would I imagine assist in keeping development costs down to the bodyshell and details for the underframe.

I happen to think that if Accurascale can launch the Irish 22000 class at remarkably good prices for the specification, into a market which is by definition more niche than the UK market, then all bets are off and not only will they be bringing a unit to the UK market sometime soon, but it'll be at a price that surprises people for the specification.  The APTs really were never going to sell in huge numbers as they were too niche, but if you look at the second hand market for trains like Voyagers, they are going for stupid money, as do intermediate cars for the Pendolino, so there seems to be a continuing market for the right 4-5 car+ unit.  The Accurascale 22000 looks as if it'll be a cracking model, unfortunately my interest in Irish traction is more centred around 1992-3 so I await the inevitable Northern Irish 80 class with bated breath.

Hornby can keep their steam interest.  I don't think their added play value items like steam generator and glowing fireboxes are worth the effort and cost.  Steam or smoke doesn't scale and looks unconvincing.  Frankly, I can see Hornby becoming a niche player for a dwindling steam market having slept on their non-steam range for too long, and as the market balance shifts towards non-steam (although steam interest will never totally go away) the newer manufacturers will mop up that market.  When Accurascale launch their next steam model - and we know they will bring more models to the market - I would hope they will continue to focus on scale fidelity, details, quality running and ignore gimmicks like smoke/steam generators.

One thing Accurascale have shown is they are not afraid to go toe to toe with Bachmann and Hornby.  Personally I would love them to do an HST as I sold my Hornby ones in a fit of temper after they started misbehaving and despite Hornby announcing a retool, I think there is enough room for a competing model.  Hornby's retool only includes a single three bay restaurant car, despite the fact cross country rakes, which covered a larger area (and therefore arguably more saleable) had a four bay buffet second, a type which has never been properly addressed by Hornby.  I'm sure Accurascale's attention to detail would ensure a wider range of catering car options.  There may have only been 95 real life HST sets but they were everywhere and probably could justify a competing model, especially if it could actually run and had good sound reproduction.

I must admit I'm looking forward to see what comes next, wagons, coaches, locos, units Irish...even kettles so long as they are LMS/LNWR!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Hornby can keep their steam interest.  I don't think their added play value items like steam generator and glowing fireboxes are worth the effort and cost.  Steam or smoke doesn't scale and looks unconvincing.  Frankly, I can see Hornby becoming a niche player for a dwindling steam market having slept on their non-steam range for too long, and as the market balance shifts towards non-steam (although steam interest will never totally go away) the newer manufacturers will mop up that market.  When Accurascale launch their next steam model - and we know they will bring more models to the market - I would hope they will continue to focus on scale fidelity, details, quality running and ignore gimmicks like smoke/steam generators.

Have to agree with this. I would rather have a speaker (or additional speaker) in the smokebox rather than some feable smoke generator. Though I do like a flickering firebox if done well, which I'm sure A/S will do.

I'll add no opening smokebox doors please. I recently had to reattach the one to my Bachmann 3MT as it just fell off one day!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

One thing Accurascale have shown is they are not afraid to go toe to toe with Bachmann and Hornby.  Personally I would love them to do an HST as I sold my Hornby ones in a fit of temper after they started misbehaving and despite Hornby announcing a retool, I think there is enough room for a competing model.  Hornby's retool only includes a single three bay restaurant car, despite the fact cross country rakes, which covered a larger area (and therefore arguably more saleable) had a four bay buffet second, a type which has never been properly addressed by Hornby.  I'm sure Accurascale's attention to detail would ensure a wider range of catering car options.  There may have only been 95 real life HST sets but they were everywhere and probably could justify a competing model, especially if it could actually run and had good sound reproduction.

I really want another HST but I am holding off on getting one in the hope that another manufacturer aside from Hornby will get in the game. Would be smashing if ACS did so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @SteamingWales,

With all the loud noise invariably around Warley with announcements various we thought it best to have our announcement before and show samples at the show next weekend on our stand. 

One clue; 'tis a wagon.

Cheers!

Fran 

I like that idea - hopefully my comments were noted at GETS and it is a MLA wagon! 😉

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it's been mentioned before, but considering how popular Nuclear flask wagons seem to be at the moment I would love to see RTR 6 wheel bogie Flatrol MJ wagons.

Genesis did a kit many moons ago but these seem impossible to find second hand. It would be fantastic to have the option for steam hauled flask traffic!

565593578_FlatrolMJduringsteamera.jpg.959c1d46629f2a0fb8f276195eed8231.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1