More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

are you saying cos irish rail had em , there's a larger market ? That's gotta be a fraction of a fraction .

I think he's saying that Irish Rail and Northern Irish rail ran Mark 2b and 2c, hence the range of both spanning both our brands, both helping the volumes / economies of scale?

• Like 5

On 24/12/2022 at 18:44, wombatofludham said:

I don't have an Accurascale Deltic but my Realtrack 156 absolutely cruises round my less than perfect track which has been laid and relaid more times than a nocturnal leisure agent in  Portsmouth when the Fleet is in port.  I used to have problems more with Heljan 86s until I cottoned on it was the fixed details on the buffer beam interfering with the couplings on some of the tighter curves.  Some of my tracklaying in the fiddle yard is a real acid test of how twitchy a train is to bad track.  Some of the sidings have perfect scale "cyclic top"!

Now that's very interesting. I'll have to have a closer look and see if there's anything fouling the bogies.

1 hour ago, McC said:

I think he's saying that Irish Rail and Northern Irish rail ran Mark 2b and 2c, hence the range of both spanning both our brands, both helping the volumes / economies of scale?

And some nice 2Ds including the special Irish variants would be very complimentary ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, XChris said:

Or Mark 2e’s nothing against the Hornby ones but to mix in with the Bachmann ones they stand out like a sore thumb in terms of CDL lights and internal lighting…

Mixing any looks odd.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

OT - I always find it slightly amazing that our manufacturers call the models 'finescale' representations of the prototypes, but when different brands are put alongside each other, the differences are sometimes quite considerable. It makes me wonder about the ability to accurately represent a given prototype, even allowing for some degree of need for design and manufacturing interpretation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2022 at 12:39, Iskra said:

A bit of an off the wall suggestion, but could someone do a DCC sound coach/brake van that you could place in a consist to provide coach/wagon sounds. It’s a bit odd having a DCC sound loco but then coaches/wagons just following silently behind. 

DCC sound buffet car anyone?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t know if they’ve been done before (at least not in recent times) but how about some ‘chemical tanks’?

Something along the lines of the Associated Octel, Ethylene Dibromide and Liquid Chlorine tanks used between Amlwch & Ellesmere Port (photos from Flickr):

Na Llandudno Jc Tanks from Amlwch head east

A Message To You Roodee

Ideal for those North Wales layouts (as is the Class 40 should AS decide to do one 😉 😉 ).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Banger Blue said:

I don’t know if they’ve been done before (at least not in recent times) but how about some ‘chemical tanks’?

Something along the lines of the Associated Octel, Ethylene Dibromide and Liquid Chlorine tanks used between Amlwch & Ellesmere Port (photos from Flickr):

A 40 and the Amlwch tanks, sounds perfect to me 👍

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Can we have a rake of Drax Biomas wagons or do Hornby have exclusive rights ?

TBH, if one producer has already released something you want that nobody else has announced, there's only one sensible course of action.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

Can we have a rake of Drax Biomas wagons or do Hornby have exclusive rights ?

Not sure what your issue with the Hornby one is at £25 a pop!

I see @McC has liked your post, and he will obviously know a lot more on this than me, but if I recall correctly when the Revolution/Rails one came about and we all piled in asking about OO it wasn't an option. I can't remember what exactly was said but I think it was a case of not allowed than not willing.

Drax would have to approve anything given it's their artwork on the wagons, and they commissioned the Hornby tooling as far as I am aware. Whether Hornby now owns the tooling (hence why they are making more) I don't know.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Happy New Year.

These go for about £60.00 each on eBay and IMHO are not worth half that !

Well they are £25 each at the moment, assuming you can find a dealer who has them, unless you haven't been paying attention?

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well they are £25 each at the moment, assuming you can find a dealer who has them, unless you haven't been paying attention?

Off-topic for this thread, but https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Hornby-R60176-Drax-Biomass-Wagon-Pack-A-Wagons-83700698160-4--83700698070-5-OO_R60176_N108532654

(Assuming these are twin packs for £50 the pair, but not 100% sure) 🙃

Not much stock elsewhere on a quick Google search.  Just did this out of curiosity 🙂

Edited by andythenorth

• RMweb Premium
On 30/12/2022 at 19:12, Watto1990 said:

Well, thanks to Accurascale’s 2022 in review email we know there’s a special announcement at Model Rail Scotland at the end of February…

Hopefully something suitably Scottish!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having deliberately missed out on the Locomotion D6700 - having it delivered to France made it way too expensive - I’m hoping you’ll do another of the earliest 37s in plain green at some point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Off-topic for this thread, but https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Hornby-R60176-Drax-Biomass-Wagon-Pack-A-Wagons-83700698160-4--83700698070-5-OO_R60176_N108532654

(Assuming these are twin packs for £50 the pair, but not 100% sure) 🙃

Not much stock elsewhere on a quick Google search.  Just did this out of curiosity 🙂

Managed to bag both sets earlier today, the shop had 4 sets of each, now all gone. There seems to be the odd set here and there. But slim pickings now. 
If like to get some of the originals, but at the prices they are being listed for, not for me. 

• RMweb Premium

So quite a left field idea for Accurascale and may not even be best placed in this thread. This only applies after another couple of stellar years of growth and I do need to emphasise that. One of the biggest costs in modern model railways are sound decoders, usually adding a good £100 to the cost of models in the UK at least, which is basically a third of the cost of a modern sound loco. From my perspective seems very high for what is not a particularly complicated piece of electronics and yet is produced in reasonably high numbers, since they are somewhat independent of the model.

I think they should look to make their own sound decoders or at least explore it. I believe that with the ingenuity they have shown alongside a willingness to do custom sound projects and control boards such as that found in the class 92 pantographs, adding some additional engineers capable of designing microchips and getting a factory on board is not totally out of the question a few years from now, assuming things continue to go as well as they are. I don't doubt this is a huge ask but if it could be done in a way that takes say 20% off the cost of the decoder (and that could be retained by them or passed on to customers) this would be very worthwhile in the long run due to the monopoly held by Zimo and ESU. 

As I say a very left field move and not one to put a TT:120 sized risk against right now but also not totally out of the question when the coffers are a bit more full.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1