More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

uh oh ....April the 1st with these guys..............................

You know its going to be a done up original Tri-ang (not Hornby) Acetate Coach in Inter City Raspberry Ripple 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 7802 said:

More manors?

Yes please!

One surprise to me with batch 1 was that there were no Machynlleth allocated locos in the main batch given the class' association with Cambrian mainline.

Some numbers not previously done in the A/S and Dapol runs would be great 

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

What happened please?

739xx failed on 1B01 (Fort William - Edinburgh) up on the moors somewhere near Tulloch.

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

1 broke down at FW.

No. Actually up on the moors

4 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Thanks - catastrophe a bit ott then? 🙂 

Depends if you fancy being transhipped from a comfy sleeping car onto a class 156 with several hours delay and probably ending up on an Avanti 390 to Euston. 

Imho the GBRf solution to sleeping car traction in the Highlands is not satisfactory simply because Hitachi at Craigentinny only cover basic servicing and maintenance. Anything amiss and the 73s get towed to England - generally Leicester or Eastleigh  

Because the six 73/9s are hard pressed to cover the three serviced north of Edinburgh, GBRf took over the pair of 67s from Colas, but they dont have dellner couplers nor suitable ETS supply for the Mk5 stock.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Covkid said:

739xx failed on 1B01 (Fort William - Edinburgh) up on the moors somewhere near Tulloch.

No. Actually up on the moors

failures happen

Depends if you fancy being transhipped from a comfy sleeping car onto a class 156 with several hours delay and probably ending up on an Avanti 390 to Euston. 

Imho the GBRf solution to sleeping car traction in the Highlands is not satisfactory simply because Hitachi at Craigentinny only cover basic servicing and maintenance. Anything amiss and the 73s get towed to England - generally Leicester or Eastleigh  

73970 is currently in Loughborough

Because the six 73/9s are hard pressed to cover the three serviced north of Edinburgh, GBRf took over the pair of 67s from Colas, but they dont have dellner couplers nor suitable ETS supply for the Mk5 stock.

73/9’s can act as “Ethels” or “Barrier” vehicles… They run with 66’s quite often.

As theres only 3 trains a night, the minimum needed is 3, not even necessarily fully working, with an added 66 as required.

catastrophe ? Really ?… it was just a loco failure.

What do you call an emergency break ? An Apocalypse, An Annihilation  ?

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

failures happen

73970 is currently in Loughborough

73/9’s can act as “Ethels” or “Barrier” vehicles… They run with 66’s quite often.

As theres only 3 trains a night, the minimum needed is 3, not even necessarily fully working, with an added 66 as required.

But why have two locos on a 5 6 7 or 8 car train ?

The whole object of the class 73/9 was to create a suitable type 3 successor to the class 37/4 or 67.  Now I am no apologist for either class but from what I remember, they didn't use pairs of diesels on their puny little trains which a 1250hp class 27 used to manage single handed, albeit with steam heating.  

catastrophe ? Really ?… it was just a loco failure.

What do you call an emergency break ? An Apocalypse, An Annihilation  ?

As I said upthread, being tipped out of your sleeping car berth to walk so far, then join a Scotrail 156 at whatever time of the morning, and not get to your destination next day. 

Not really a pleasant experience, but hey, Glad that from your tone you think it is acceptable.

Of course failures happen, but it depends at what level. If you are commuting from Huddersfield to Leeds and your  train is cancelled, never mind another will be along in 30 mins.  If however you are returning from Fort William to London, the failure is more than just a passing event.  

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

But why have two locos on a 5 6 7 or 8 car train ?

BR ran 4 class 31’s on 4 car trains at some points.

Two locos.. redundancy on lines which are remote, with stock that has non-standard couplings, seems sensible.

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

The whole object of the class 73/9 was to create a suitable type 3 successor to the class 37/4 or 67.  Now I am no apologist for either class but from what I remember, they didn't use pairs of diesels on their puny little trains which a 1250hp class 27 used to manage single handed, albeit with steam heating.  

I think you need to direct your ire at the Scottish parliament, or Serco… they were the ones holding the purse strings. 
I doubt funding is coming to replace 73/9’s, or even for more of them. That said ive been surprised that the SR 73/9’s havent gone north before hand, they do spend much of the year in Tonbridge yard growing weeds, until Autumn when they start killing them again.

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

As I said upthread, being tipped out of your sleeping car berth to walk so far, then join a Scotrail 156 at whatever time of the morning, and not get to your destination next day. 

Not really a pleasant experience, but hey, Glad that from your tone you think it is acceptable.

I never said it was acceptable, please dont make up words, but at that track, what else are they supposed to do if the loco fails ?.. leave them to walk home ?

Its not about whats acceptable, its about extremist language.

catastrophe.. I think Quintishill, Tay bridge, Harrow, not a 73 needing a push.

I recall a 37 failing at Georgemas once… last train of the day, 10pm… no station staff, days before mobile phones, no taxis, out of season..loco failed when trying to run round..  inserted a 9 hour delay to proceedings… batteries in the coaches went flat too…. Spent the night with a blanket in near total darkness and silence, with about 3 other hardy souls ( everyone else was eaten by sharks :-) … thats what we said.. they dissappeared off to the road bridge in odd ones and twos, never seen again .. (various relatives or taxis came to pick them up).

Missing Battered Haggis and Chips before the chippy closed.. now that was a catastophe.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

.... Ive been surprised that the SR 73/9’s haven't gone north before hand, they do spend much of the year in Tonbridge yard growing weeds, until Autumn when they start killing them again. ...

They might be nominally the same variant of 73/9s but are they actually compatible ? 

18 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Crowded marketplace, and Judging by some of the recent discounting of Bachmann's "ultimate" 47s, perhaps a lot of potential customers consider earlier ones to be "good enough".....  

This is true, although A can produce a similar ( B still don’t included capacitors, easy retrofit for some) model for less money. I’m also keen on NSE Revised livery. Perhaps a photo of 50044 Exeter in revised NSE would have been better 😂

Now that Accurascale have taken over the Hatton's class 66 I'm hoping we start to see some intermodal container wagons coming thru. Although Dapol have done the IKA, it wasn't a great version, with part of the sides swinging with the bogies. If you look at most container trains, they nearly all have either IKA or EWS FKA container wagons in them. And in the case of DRS trains, some are all entirely IKA's and with EWS some are all FKA's. I'm guessing that the configuration of the wagons with regard to the bogies and the bodywork makes them difficult to model for say 2nd radius curves, but I'm sure Accurascale can get around this. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought container wagons is a considerable gap in the Accurascale wagon range myself, that plus a tank wagon of some kind.

loads for them to go at.. Wascosa containerised CE wagons is a nice one, Bin liner wagons another. In oldies, a decent 16t mineral…, 6 wheel milk tank wagon, conflat (condor) wagon.. theres a bit to chew on still.

For diesels i’m not sure theres much to go at, an 06 stands out, 73/9 then its ACs.

I still say the future is units.

• Agree 1

FCA's are the missing link for me - tool those up and you get shipping containers, bin liners and MOD containers. 

If the PFA's are anything to go by then Accurascale would cook up a right treat with both the container flats themselves but also the container options too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

FCA's are the missing link for me - tool those up and you get shipping containers, bin liners and MOD containers. 

And another run of gypsum boxes.....

66 121 with gypsum train 6C40 near Newsholme.

I'd be up for a rake for the club layout.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Intermodals would be wonderful. It could be part of a "Supplying Britain" range.

Containers could be made too. For example nobody has a 00 scale 40ft yellow MSC container for sale, even though it's one of the most common containers about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Now that Accurascale have taken over the Hatton's class 66 I'm hoping we start to see some intermodal container wagons coming thru. Although Dapol have done the IKA, it wasn't a great version, with part of the sides swinging with the bogies. If you look at most container trains, they nearly all have either IKA or EWS FKA container wagons in them. And in the case of DRS trains, some are all entirely IKA's and with EWS some are all FKA's. I'm guessing that the configuration of the wagons with regard to the bogies and the bodywork makes them difficult to model for say 2nd radius curves, but I'm sure Accurascale can get around this. 

TBH, whilst I see what you're saying in terms of IKA and FKAs being very common, there are loads of intermodal wagons available.

I have FEAs, IKAs, KFAs and FLAs and I have no real desire to increase that. That combination deals with DRS (IKA), GBRF (KFA, IKA & FEA), DB (KFA & IKA) and Freightliner (FEA & FLA).

I don't know that making an IKA or FKA with the bogies inside the wagon would be possible, my understanding is that the sides are on the bogie because of the curve requirements, as you say.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

They might be nominally the same variant of 73/9s but are they actually compatible ? 

I believe they are. The Scottish ones have had their 3rd gear removed, and the Southern ones have additional jumpers for the various test fleet, but otherwise the same. I don’t see Southern ones venturing north though, their reliability is woeful, they struggle to perform their monitoring train duties as is. Not as successful as was hoped me

thinks. 

1 hour ago, E100 said:

Trying to work out what the April fools loco will be…

A Class 37 with a conservatory for the cab, in the hope lots of windows will make at least one of them the right shape.

A Northern Irish 80 class DEMU in fictional Network Southeast livery (if Rapido can do fictional, then there must be a market).
209001.jpg.4007b3d18e868debcaad6de31d34a0eb.jpg

Edited by wombatofludham
I knew I'd seen one somewhere...
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

I believe they are. The Scottish ones have had their 3rd gear removed, and the Southern ones have additional jumpers for the various test fleet, but otherwise the same. I don’t see Southern ones venturing north though, their reliability is woeful, they struggle to perform their monitoring train duties as is. Not as successful as was hoped me

thinks. 

Do they have the drop head Delner couplings fitted, that would be the deal breaker..?

• Agree 1