Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Budgie said:

Gettng back to the title of this thread, there's a locomotive that someone could make. I'll have a couple.

Having stretched Rule 1 to allow for a BR standard 3MT tank at Cwmdimbath, borrowed from Barry who haven't asked for it back yet, I'd find it very hard not to use exactly the same excuse for a rebuilt Taff A.  You could probably make a fair case for an 04 and a Rhymney R as well. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Each to their own opinions, all perfectly valid.

Many have been brought up commuting using MU's, whether 'D', 'E' or hybrid.

These are very hard-working units and a mainstay on the mainlines of UK, but personally I find them totally without character and frankly boring.

HST, 220/221, 390, 395 excepted.

Model railways has always been exaggerated with an excessive number of locomotives hauling coaches or wagons for me, however invalid.

Al.

I found most units north of the river dull & boring but the Southern units had plenty of character & variety even within classes.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I found most units north of the river dull & boring but the Southern units had plenty of character & variety even within classes.

You've got that the wrong way round there, its all the southern units that look the same and boring!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

17 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Oh God, not the steam v diesel debate.

So I suspect whilst steam will still have a market, it will over time become less dominant, which, let's face it, is inevitable as demographics march on.  Whatever the relevance of my chats over the backboard, one thing I'm sure is an agreed fact.  Model manufacturers clearly have their own market research, own views on market direction, and really are not in the business to make a loss (although Hornby do sometimes make you wonder).  So, in reality none of us knows how the market is going, nor are likely to.  I'm just happy to see Heljan committed to making more Class 86s which, let's not forget, don't sell because they are electrics.

I think steam will carry on having a market. The main shift in recent years being greater amounts of pre-grouping locos and stock. Perso I never thought I would be able to buy so much SECR and had consoled myself to building it all myself the day I retire, but hey ho, instead of one kit loco per each class, I've at least 3 in RTR... (split evenly between a grey bunch, a Wainwright livery bunch and a Wainwright livery DCC sound bunch).

There is hardly anyone alive today who was alive in  the pre-grouping days, let alone can remember them. 

I think the interest has probably occurred thanks to both preservation (the NRM collections proving very popular) and people investigating what railways were like in their corner of the world in the past.

At the same, layouts at shows would be boring if all were the same theme. How many of us would appreciate seeing again and again the latest modern class appearing in RTR, all making the same noise and doing the same thing?

I think ultimately, once modelers get passed the "popular group" of locos and trains, they will all start to search their own niche (or niches).

And having something that is a bit unique is great for everyone. And equally enriching that, with things you made yourself is even better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I think steam will carry on having a market. The main shift in recent years being greater amounts of pre-grouping locos and stock. Perso I never thought I would be able to buy so much SECR and had consoled myself to building it all myself the day I retire, but hey ho, instead of one kit loco per each class, I've at least 3 in RTR... (split evenly between a grey bunch, a Wainwright livery bunch and a Wainwright livery DCC sound bunch).

There is hardly anyone alive today who was alive in  the pre-grouping days, let alone can remember them. 

I think the interest has probably occurred thanks to both preservation (the NRM collections proving very popular) and people investigating what railways were like in their corner of the world in the past.

At the same, layouts at shows would be boring if all were the same theme. How many of us would appreciate seeing again and again the latest modern class appearing in RTR, all making the same noise and doing the same thing?

I think ultimately, once modelers get passed the "popular group" of locos and trains, they will all start to search their own niche (or niches).

And having something that is a bit unique is great for everyone. And equally enriching that, with things you made yourself is even better.

The problem with pre-grouping (a very long period of time) is that there were so many companies. There was a prospect of manufacturers feeding us locoholics with a great choice of locos and not much else. There is a bit of that but it is wonderfully gratifying that the SE&CR is so well served. We have a decent cross section of locos but into the bargain we have coaches, wagons and brake vans. Pre-grouping wagons from other companies are appearing too so that authentic mixed up goods trains can be assembled. Whilst items such as (for example) a Caledonian goods loco are nice to have, I think it’s better to focus on a few railways and provide a more complete range.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

There seems a quite a few who want updated Spamcans & rebuilt WC/MN, as Hornby's are old.  I have two WC spams and one rebuilt WC, nowt wrong with them, unless some of the rivets are a scale 0.001mm to big/to small when viewed with a magnifying glass.  Whoever retools I won't buy one until unless any pack up.

I await Accus blue WR 37 and 31 patiently as I don't have any blue, 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

....and rebuilt heavies are really quite old now.

It's all personal I suppose, there not that bad enough to make me change. As a ten year old in 67 a lot of my Saturdays were spent at the end Waterloo platforms.  Unless the new one tomorrow is a metal bodied IOW 2 to replace my two Kernow (now EFE made) I can't think of anything personally I need except maybe a blue Hymek (EFE one).  The steam one tomorrow they've said is one of the most asked locos for, near the end of the video. From what I recall over time on here that seems to be Stanier 2-8-0's and WC/MN's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Since the beast, whatever it is, has been developed before that teaser, none of the subsequent frothlisting we’re all enjoying at the moment will make any difference, but there are clearly favourites emerging.  I like a bit of froth, personally, and won’t be disappointed unless the loco is a duplication of a recent tooling, which I doubt Accy would do anyway.  Obviously I’ll be over the moon if it turns out to be what I want, but my view is that the current biodiversity of high quality models is A Good Thing, and an increase in it would be A Better Thing.  Roll on tomoz!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The problem with pre-grouping (a very long period of time) is that there were so many companies. There was a prospect of manufacturers feeding us locoholics with a great choice of locos and not much else. There is a bit of that but it is wonderfully gratifying that the SE&CR is so well served. We have a decent cross section of locos but into the bargain we have coaches, wagons and brake vans. Pre-grouping wagons from other companies are appearing too so that authentic mixed up goods trains can be assembled. Whilst items such as (for example) a Caledonian goods loco are nice to have, I think it’s better to focus on a few railways and provide a more complete range.

The fact things are smaller runs/higher prices, manufacturers combined could probably get away doing a few prototypes of the top 50% largest pre grouping companies. Especially those which made it BR or even preservation.

Pre 1900 gets a bit more complex where I guess only the star locos and types which made it to preservation will probably by covered.

And then there is broad gauge.... a sort of nice to have in RTR but complicated for any take up.

But Accurascale have done the Chaldrons so a pre-1900 loco of many variants is not entirely impossible.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The fact things are smaller runs/higher prices, manufacturers combined could probably get away doing a few prototypes of the top 50% largest pre grouping companies. Especially those which made it BR or even preservation.

Pre 1900 gets a bit more complex where I guess only the star locos and types which made it to preservation will probably by covered.

And then there is broad gauge.... a sort of nice to have in RTR but complicated for any take up.

But Accurascale have done the Chaldrons so a pre-1900 loco of many variants is not entirely impossible.....

A nice Caledonian Blue (various shades) Dunalastair , also LMS Red and Black . Go for a later Caley 4-4-0 and they survived into BR Black . I can but dream........I bet its an 8F

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Legend said:

A nice Caledonian Blue (various shades) Dunalastair , also LMS Red and Black . Go for a later Caley 4-4-0 and they survived into BR Black . I can but dream........I bet its an 8F

Whatever it is (as long as its vaguely in my theme) I'm getting my pre order in with Accurascale direct pronto. Have missed out on green class 30 (direct) already through dithering and am kicking myself as a result. Not getting the rewards or the opportunity to review feels like getting less for the same money buying from a model shop. Personally think its the Hawksworth County but an 8F welcome and equally a surprise would be good :)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

In the 100th year or century since the grouping they have announced or produced, the buckjumper (eastern region) and the gwr thing (western region), so it only stands to reason that their announcement will be, LMS or southern......

or BR 9F?

• Friendly/supportive 1