More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

With so many diesel shunters, 1st Gen DMUs & DeMUs, most AC EMUs, many DC EMUs not modelled I see little point of redoing a slightly substandard model.

Many would have already bought a specific model if already made if they really wanted it.

I had a class 170, it was fine & DCC fitted. I sold it. I have a DCC fitted class 220 I plan to sell next year, the DCC fitting cost more than the unit itself! Hoping for a suitable MU in 2024.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I doubt any manufacturer ever launches new models that rely on everybody replacing older products. Our opinions on the acceptability of what we already own will inevitably vary too widely to make that safe!

There wiil probably be sufficient unfulfilled demand, and enough uncovered liveries to make a new Class 150 viable in the two years or so it will take somebody to get a new one to market if they start now.

John

who said anything about everybody replacing??? but the better the existing model is to start with, the less people will want to buy a new model over it or replace what they have. I still think there would be far better options to go for first

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, GordonC said:

I'm a little surprised the Class 165 Networkers have never been produced - we've had 3 car 166s, but there are a lot more 165s and now they're working in new areas

Me too… the 166’s always seem to command a high price too. Would be great to see someone tackle the full suite of the 165’s and 166’s across both Great Western and Chiltern variants from NSE up until current day!

• Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2023 at 16:59, JShow said:

Some Hudson tippers would be useful.

Hudson 300 cu. ft tipper wagon.png

These are at least available as a kit, albeit a rather fiddly one. It makes into a nice model though. This is 7mm scale but also available in 4mm from

https://www.rtmodels.co.uk/index.html

rbwh3.jpg.a4753cf9b8adde1587709ffc60f3d8c8.jpg

On a similar theme, the MSC-style wooden contractor's side-tippers would be an interesting project.

Mol

• Like 7

I'm aware of the kit, but I've never built a brass kit before and don't have the confidence or on-the-ground resources for help. A plastic kit would be no problem.  So, no harm in asking for RTR then.

I love your work, by the way-- brilliant modeling and I'm glad your back posting here.

• Thanks 1

I reckon a certain manufacturer's class  comprising 200 editions should be considered ... sorry ... BUMP ...

Class 40 bump !!

Oh, and let's look at Fowler and Stanier's finest - Parallel Scot (tapered boilered Hornby Scot is excellent) and various versions of the Jubilee.

The 8F's another that's been mentioned quite a lot, and I agree, a new version of this very popular locomotive would go down very well.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not interested myself, not 'branch line' enough for me, but a suggestion might be to update the old  Airfix GW Centenary coaches, which proved popular enough for Airfix!  The post-war refurbished versions with sliding ventilators would be welcomed, and cf course could be produced in GW, BR crimson/cream, or lined maroon liveries.  A suite of toolings would need to be provided to produce the various different sides of the whole range of these very distinctive coaches, rather than just the Brake 3rd/Composite of the Airfix coaches, and catering for variations seems to be one of Accurascale's strengths! 

They could lead to further Collett 60footers as well.  The original rakes were used only on the 'Cornish Riviera' TTBOMK in pre WW2 days, but they appeared as individual coaches on all GW main line services after the war.  IIRC they were a bit too wide to be suitable for running off former GW metals, though.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

A 22ton IRON ORE wagon ,yes its duplicated by other RTR manufacturers . But so is the 16t mineral wagon.

Do you mean the Charles Roberts design 22 ton hopper that was produced prewar as a Private Owner and later by BR as the diagram 1/161 ironstone hopper later uprated to 24 ton as dia'1/162?

The current offering dates back to Mainline and has only evolved by the use of a different chassis as the are too long on a 17'6"  chassis with 10' wheelbase rather than 16'6" with 9' wheelbase.

The body is too narrow and sits on a paving stone!

Edited by Mark Saunders
forgot last sentence!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fran, its now a year since you informed us that you had seriously looked at the 5-WES and, as far as I know, nothing has emerged from the team who suggested that they were working on it. I really think you should go back to them and see if they are still committed to the idea. It's one of those very special EMUs that would really provide you with the opportunity to bring another stunning model to the hobby. 

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

Fran, its now a year since you informed us that you had seriously looked at the 5-WES and, as far as I know, nothing has emerged from the team who suggested that they were working on it. I really think you should go back to them and see if they are still committed to the idea. It's one of those very special EMUs that would really provide you with the opportunity to bring another stunning model to the hobby. 

all the best

Godfrey

Or better still just crack on with it, you'd still beat AN Other to market with it anyway. besides it makes sense to add it to the rest of your MK3 development that must be going on behind the scenes to pair up with the Class 43 :)

• Like 1

Something small to go with the Chaldrons this year? Or maybe something slightly bigger...

Avonside B3s look good, as do the 10" cylinder Barclays (think it's 10") such as AB 1219... Then again the 14" cylinder Andrew Barclay 0-6-0s would go well with the rest of the Powering Britain range as well...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2024 at 15:22, Godfrey Glyn said:

all the best

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

It is my understanding that a 5-WES has been laser scanned by another company, which seems pretty concrete about intentions there. 

As a matter of interest though, perhaps you guys could help us with something? It's not very scientific, but perhaps will spark a wider debate among modellers.

While we have lost two institutions in our hobby over the last week, (Hattons and Warley) we don't necessarily buy into the notion that the doom mongers have reported (even in the national media now!) that the hobby is "dying". Indeed, for someone like ourselves, we're growing thanks to your support, which is excellent.

However, young companies always have to be cautious, and get decisions right as they grow. 

The "large gap" in modern era modelling (very loose term, but let's say 70s-present) is 4 and 5 car multiple units such as the 5-WES etc. These represent a HUGE capital investment, over say a locomotive, and take a lot more development time due to researching 4 different vehicles, electronics between each car talking to each other, and you are less likely to sell more due to modellers being "loco-centric" in the main, and of course the higher RRP.

So, for the 5-WES, what do you think would be a fair RRP that you would be willing the pay, for a 5 car unit to the standards we aim for with all our models? The means working interior lights, all the detail, variations, motor hidden away, DC/DCC ready and DCC sound fitted, stay alives etc. 

Likewise, how much for a 4 car unit with the same spec, and say working raising and lowering pan (where applicable).

Knowing what you would be willing to pay, and how many you would buy would be interesting research for us to know. 

Spread the word and post below!

(also, this is not us committing to a 5-WES!)

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1