More model ideas

2 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Hmm. How to interpret "big"

Big as in O gauge

Big as in big loco/wagon

Big as in big range/lots of variants

Either way I look forward to seeing whatever will appear

Exactly my thoughts. Going with an O gauge Deltic.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

The next announcement is in two days, and it's a big one.

Place yer bets!

Cheers!

Fran 

I was just about to order a loco, I shall wait 2 days just in case!

10 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

On a slightly more serious note, it was mentioned in the "Hornby - A Model World" TV series about another unnamed manufacturer who were supposedly working on their own HST model, which of course in turn prompted Hornby themselves into producing their own newly retooled version, as was the case in response to Cavalex and as a result, aborted Class 91.

But if true, then I wonder who that could of been?🤔

There's alot of those "what-ifs". Like a Cavalex Class 91 v Hornby.

Tbh I don't even mind the new Hornby HST, just haven't picked one up because 
a) Virgin WCML New(ish) HST is harder to come across
b) Price

I'm more curious on the long-term viability of their Class 800s. Even for a nicely done new-tool... £500 for a 5-coach set isn't going to win many people over.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

The next announcement is in two days, and it's a big one.

Place yer bets!

Cheers!

Fran 

My money is on the following:

HST

Class 50

MK1 Gangway coaches. 

Looking forward to the announcement what ever it is to be! 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, R. Knowles said:

as was the case in response to Cavalex and as a result in Hornby acting fast, their aborted Class 91.

I can categorically state that the Hornby 91 was not in response to Cavelex’s, but was part of a long term project, interrupted by the financial meltdown at Margate in 2016.

But then again, it’s fashionable to create conflict where none existed….

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

I'm more curious on the long-term viability of their Class 800s. Even for a nicely done new-tool... £500 for a 5-coach set isn't going to win many people over.

Definitely not cheap, but ultimately if one is interested in present day GWR or ECML operations then it's pretty much compulsory.

In due course I'll have 2 LNER 800s, a TPE 802 and a Lumo 803.

Unless Hornby impose a price increase on existing pre orders I aren't paying £500 for any of them. I ordered the 802 and 803 when they had a 20% discount for club members (when it included pre orders) so I think they are just over £400 IIRC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Ah OK, I agree with that although how much time that aspect would save I aren't sure. The ends are obviously different, the detailing on the sides (grilles) are different and the roof is completely different. So it's only really the general body profile, the doors and possibly the windows that are reusable? If it's 10% of the CAD work I'll be surprised. I don't design model trains for a living but I do use a lot of 3D CAD.

Even then, that's 10% you don't need to do from scratch.  But the general shape of the body is a large chunk of getting things right.

4 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Even then, that's 10% you don't need to do from scratch.  But the general shape of the body is a large chunk of getting things right.

The cross section in terms of CAD is very little in terms of the work involved IMO. I agree it's important to get right but in terms of modelling the thing it's not that much work.

2 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

I think the cab doors and cabside windows are the only common part between a 60 and a 92, the rest of the shell, roof, underframe equipment, and bogie detailing is completely different.

Internally, to capture the see-through feature of the real locos', the chassis block and gear towers would need to be redesigned to allow this details, Im pretty sure AS wouldn't miss that feature out just so they can re-use the 92's running gear

The body shell is common between the two (with modifications for the 92) and that means at the very least you have the 92 CAD work as a starting point there.  Similarly the chassis block CAD work for the 92 as s starting point for the 60. 

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The cross section in terms of CAD is very little in terms of the work involved IMO.

And apparently there are many, many models that seem to fall foul of this.  If you've got it right before, and need the same result, it's better to start with "right" than from scratch.

1 minute ago, frobisher said:

And apparently there are many, many models that seem to fall foul of this.  If you've got it right before, and need the same result, it's better to start with "right" than from scratch.

I agree, and I don't dispute the importance of it. But I don't see the amount of work as significant vs detailing the stuff that is different.

4 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Well I first suggested the idea of a Class 60 from AC a few pages but was rebuffed over the matter of CADs. If they did decide to produce their own version then that would be great!

AS would be well placed to do one, but the 60 is one of Hornby's best models so not "crying out" for replacement so not a good bet in my opinion, but a cracker if they do it.

23 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Really, I would like to see them expand on the Class 31 and Class 37 ranges, with more subclass and livery variants. 

I think that’s pretty much a given and Fran has alluded that round two of the 37’s will be coming in a few months, but this seems like a brand new announcement to me.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, frobisher said:

AS would be well placed to do one, but the 60 is one of Hornby's best models so not "crying out" for replacement so not a good bet in my opinion, but a cracker if they do it.

I think it could be quite a while before there's a better 60 retooled, I dont think there's an awful lot wrong with the Hornby effort other than the electrics and painting which are solvable.

Another out there suggestion - having seen the quality of the upcoming Mk2b's ... how many Mk1s could Accurascale sell of that quality and ballpark price? talk about cat amongst pigeons!! I dont think there's much to pick between the current Bachmann and Hornbys, but they're middle-quality with prices edging towards higher end at the moment. Imagine detailed interiors, lighting, accurate vb/ab/dual braking details and underframes

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

Another out there suggestion - having seen the quality of the upcoming Mk2b's ... how many Mk1s could Accurascale sell of that quality and ballpark price? talk about cat amongst pigeons!! I dont think there's much to pick between the current Bachmann and Hornbys, but they're middle-quality with prices edging towards higher end at the moment. Imagine detailed interiors, lighting, accurate vb/ab/dual braking details and underframes

Always room for more MK1s! Though the MK2c is the next open goal, followed by the MK2 Pullmans.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Can't really pass judgement on that one. Though that version does seem to be a very limited, niche product.

The SLW one will be superb when it comes, just a bit of a shame the 24s dont seem to have been available for a while

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Can't really pass judgement on that one. Though that version does seem to be a very limited, niche product.

Limited yes but the pricing doesn't seem to be that expensive IIRC, and if the 24 is anything to go by it will be worthy of consideration.

3 minutes ago, GordonC said:

The SLW one will be superb when it comes, just a bit of a shame the 24s dont seem to have been available for a while

Yes, and IIRC they don't tend to offer preserved ones (24s done so far or 25s announced) which sorta kiboshes the potential for me buying one.

• RMweb Premium

The only classes of locos not done are 01, DC SR 70 and a few AC electrics. Others are pre-nationalisation shunters.

Steam is a crowded market with partisan regional buyers, coaches are nearly full bar Mk2C or better Mk3s.

DMUs are well covered but with many gaps in the XC/IC DMU range

There's still no track plant, very few EMUs so a lot of opportunity there.

Wagons are lacking in the modern end. Car transporters?

Nobody makes decent large viaducts, stations or depots.

My guess is a working sizable track machine range!

Edited by reddragon
  • Agree 1