More model ideas

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

The next announcement is in two days, and it's a big one.

Hmm. How to interpret "big"

Big as in O gauge

Big as in big loco/wagon

Big as in big range/lots of variants

Either way I look forward to seeing whatever will appear

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

They are also asking to be done IMO. 220 wise there is demand for XC ones IMO. 221 likewise, with the added bonus of the later Virgin and Avanti liveries and the fact that the Bachmann XC ones tilt which is inaccurate nowadays. 222 has never been done and has had a few liveries so a good shout for me.

And I'd be keen for an XC one of some sort.

Voyagers held my top spot as the perfect long-distance train for a space-starved model railway until pipped by the 68+Mk5 sets on grounds of charisma, but still a key item for modellers of recent decades.  And more widespread than the current champion of course, though imo fewer people worry about that than RMweb seems to think.

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

The Black 5 and 8F have been an open goal for ages. As much as Hornby like to do something to protect their range - I just see these two, plus other Stanier's as being something that is perfect for more steam engines to be done as "DCC: The Next Gen" (as Im calling it) where sound and lights are standard, smoke/steam as optional. Given this puts popular choices all back into the range for a retool, as well as others that have not been done yet, it just means that these two stand out more and thus can see more than one company doing it. Duplication becomes a risk but with these I just think its likely. Could be wrong, but will find out soon enough. 

As for others, will the Iron-clad stuff be an option, I think some birdcage stock sat around for a while, but was limited edition. (I don't know as its off my own region). Think your Fowler tank might get done by a new tooled Ivatt tank from someone... and milk tankers - yeah, think your onto a winner. But its sat amongst a fair few other things to do. Personally, Id love a J21, but hope that doesn't miss out as Next Gen wipes the slate clean. 

Erm. Hornby have already announced a new Black Five with sound AND smoke. Including Caprotti variants.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-stanier-5mt-black-5-4-6-0-44726-steam-generator-era-5-r30225ss

Pay attention at the back.

Jason

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Voyagers held my top spot as the perfect long-distance train for a space-starved model railway until pipped by the 68+Mk5 sets on grounds of charisma, but still a key item for modellers of recent decades.  And more widespread than the current champion of course, though imo fewer people worry about that than RMweb seems to think.

As are the 5 car 80Xs IMO. Dear for the detail they have but certainly far from a bad model and they are good for fitting into reasonable spaces. Likewise the GWR Castle/SR Inter7City HST sets.

6 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I am still amazed people think a 60 is a possibility. It is as likely as Accurascale announcing a new fully retooled Deltic to replace their existing one.

Except there's a hell of a lot of commonality between a 92 and a 60 it might not be a big ask.

My money's on a 50 though... or maybe a 40... but definitely an 06 ;)

8 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I am still amazed people think a 60 is a possibility. It is as likely as Accurascale announcing a new fully retooled Deltic to replace their existing one.

Yeah I really do not get that for a second, especially now Hornby have reacted and improved the decoder socket (and AFAIK the lighting). Yes it's not perfect but it's very good even by today's standards, even if they are letting it slip a bit with silly stuff like not putting both snowploughs in.

I can think of easier battles.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, frobisher said:

Except there's a hell of a lot of commonality between a 92 and a 60 it might not be a big ask.

In terms of what? That is practically reusable on a model, not the real thing.

But if I was betting, I agree that a 50 is where I'd be putting the money.

Edited by TomScrut

Just now, TomScrut said:

In terms of what? That is practically reusable on a model, not the real thing.

The CAD work.  Body is practically identical where it counts, bogies are identical the electrics and drive system will be easily repurposed from one to the other.  You have one hell of a head start there.

Now if it were me producing the 92, I'd have made sure that the 3D modeller had at least put the layers in the CAD files to provision for later making the changes to the 60 knowing that was a good option.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Considering I've literally chipped my voyager yesterday and ordered a lighting kit, I might go nuts if Accurascale announced one xD

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, frobisher said:

The CAD work.  Body is practically identical where it counts, bogies are identical the electrics and drive system will be easily repurposed from one to the other.  You have one hell of a head start there.

Now if it were me producing the 92, I'd have made sure that the 3D modeller had at least put the layers in the CAD files to provision for later making the changes to the 60 knowing that was a good option.

Ah OK, I agree with that although how much time that aspect would save I aren't sure. The ends are obviously different, the detailing on the sides (grilles) are different and the roof is completely different. So it's only really the general body profile, the doors and possibly the windows that are reusable? If it's 10% of the CAD work I'll be surprised. I don't design model trains for a living but I do use a lot of 3D CAD.

I'd argue there's a better case for Dapol to do an 88 because they have a 68 than AS to do a 60 because they have a 92 already. There's a lot of detail parts that would carry over on that.

18 minutes ago, frobisher said:

My money's on a 50 though... or maybe a 40... but definitely an 06 ;)

got to be more likely an 89 from their 92 than a 60!! There were hints of a 'watch this space' on that before

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

No one has mentioned carriages. I'm going to guess at mk3!

With some power cars? 😀

In all seriousness is all this an unrealistic proposition if designing from scratch?

HST

Loco hauled mk3s

Mk3 DVT

The loco hauled mk3s are subtly different to HST ones. Completely different tooling? I don't know.

Also how many door configurations can be done sharing tooling? Likewise if any other weird stuff can be done (NMT power cars/coaches, Pullman with its top light)

Mk3 DVT is needed to claim sale of an entire train (minus loco) for later years? Especially if the Chiltern doors are done.

I don't think it will be this, but I think it's an interesting thought.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1