More model ideas

14 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

The next announcement is in two days, and it's a big one.

Place yer bets!

Cheers!

Fran 

Surely an 8F, Pretty please!

Edited by thohurst
  • Like 1

A big one eh?

As in lots of things or one big (in size or importance) item?

If the former, some TT 120 things.

If latter then a unit of some sort.

I'd love it to be a 185, but I don't think that qualifies as "big" other than the significance of being AS's first unit.

44 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

HST!! 😁

or Big Bertha was a big one? 🤔

Big Bertha would be grand but Accurascale seems to go for models with lots of variations within the class, so I doubt it. Unless it’s something like 0 scale, I fancy “big” must mean a loco of some kind. So far, Accurascale has gone for models already produced by someone else. Other than that, it could be anything. I’d love it to be something which hasn’t been produced RTR before but we only have to wait two days to find out. The 47 would be an obvious target but Bachmann has closed that door. Unless Accurascale was working on it and decided to go ahead anyhow. A lot of blether just to say that I have no idea!

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Covkid said:

To be fair, Accurascale are about to release the Manor and pretty much every other Cambrian loco with the exception of the Cambrian 0-6-0s are done, although ...... I have seen a photo of an "Aberdare" on it's way to Barmouth Junction from Ruabon and would love to know whether it went over the bridge and into Barmouth.

The "Aberdare" class would be a very nice loco, and I believe would sell well in it's various liveries. It would be BR for me but I am sure the majority sales would be in GWR livery.

There was an attempt some years back to create interest in a crowd-funded 'Aberdare' and while the originator seems to have mainly targetted folk with a known GW interest there was insufficient support.  I do however think that if it was produced commercially the situation would be rather different in that is very existence (or promise of existence), and unusual nature, would make it a commercial proposition for the right 'manufacturer'.

But having said that I don't think the size of the market would come up to the level McC recently quoted as the area A/S regard as suitably commercial for a loco.  I might be wrong regarding teh size of market but I suspect it would be only be about half of the lower end of the range of numbers required to be fully viable quoted by McC.  There are various other GW locos which in my view would more than meet the size of market he mentioned - even getting a good way there on a first run.

PS - 'A big one in the next few days'.  If it's diesel it would most likely be a 50 so the odds on that one must be 50-50.  If it's steam outline it could well be LMS group or a Riddles 2-10-0.  But never forget there are a number of very big wagons that are still hiding out there waiting to be modelled.  And it it might even be 7mm scale n.g for all we don't know.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 1

My monies on a Steam loco, or 'big' as in an 'O' gauge item of some description? 

With the announcement of the Class 31 back in Feb and March this year and with an expected announcement probably in the new few months of a second production run for the Class 37, I doubt it will be a diesel or electric loco. Would love it to be a Class 50, HST Power cars or a DMU, but I'm not going to bet on any of those this year. God I hope I'm wrong!

43 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Big Bertha would be grand but Accurascale seems to go for models with lots of variations within the class, so I doubt it. Unless it’s something like 0 scale, I fancy “big” must mean a loco of some kind. So far, Accurascale has gone for models already produced by someone else. Other than that, it could be anything. I’d love it to be something which hasn’t been produced RTR before but we only have to wait two days to find out. The 47 would be an obvious target but Bachmann has closed that door. Unless Accurascale was working on it and decided to go ahead anyhow. A lot of blether just to say that I have no idea!

Has the door been closed on a 47? I'm not sure it has. The Bachmann one is nice but is pricey for the full bhuna - if the Bachmann SFX one comes in at £340 while the sound fitted Deltic was around with a £260 - there's different features to each and some gimmicks, but they must be aiming for the same definitive model of the class position. Accurascale obviously dont have any fears over lots of detail variations in a large class or taking on competition and a 47 could generate sales for years to come with the right product at the right price.

Personally I'd wonder if its either centre headcode 37/0s or an HST.

Left field option, could it be a DP2 - would there be enough commonality in the deltic bodyshell and bogies to make it worthwhile? The Deltic Prototype I'd suggest the Bachmann model is too good to tool up a one-off and better.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

An all-new Hornby Black Five has already been announced, along with the Caprotti variant.

I'd not be surprised at an announcement of a 8F, though.  A bang-up job on a Fowler 2-6-4T (including the side-window cab variant) would be welcome, plus some Period 2 coaches and a Stove R to go with it....

From my Southern viewpoint I'd like to see some LSWR/SR 'Ironclad' coaches, including the 1949 pull-push conversions of the 2-sets.

Oh, and (I must have mentioned these before) some "proper" 6-wheel milk tanks.

John

The Black 5 and 8F have been an open goal for ages. As much as Hornby like to do something to protect their range - I just see these two, plus other Stanier's as being something that is perfect for more steam engines to be done as "DCC: The Next Gen" (as Im calling it) where sound and lights are standard, smoke/steam as optional. Given this puts popular choices all back into the range for a retool, as well as others that have not been done yet, it just means that these two stand out more and thus can see more than one company doing it. Duplication becomes a risk but with these I just think its likely. Could be wrong, but will find out soon enough. 

As for others, will the Iron-clad stuff be an option, I think some birdcage stock sat around for a while, but was limited edition. (I don't know as its off my own region). Think your Fowler tank might get done by a new tooled Ivatt tank from someone... and milk tankers - yeah, think your onto a winner. But its sat amongst a fair few other things to do. Personally, Id love a J21, but hope that doesn't miss out as Next Gen wipes the slate clean. 

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

The next announcement is in two days, and it's a big one.

Place yer bets!

Cheers!

Fran 

Big? I am thinking something 0 gauge then...

If it were 00 gauge, then possibly:

Class 50
Class 60
Q7

But if honest, if its big, I am thinking in terms of for the company. So thinking a "new Unit" (duck for cover) and thus to be an HST!!! 

220/221/222... 185 an also ran. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Has the door been closed on a 47? I'm not sure it has.

Whilst I know you have made some good points, is it something that they'd want to go to war over rather than choose something else that will also sell well but with very little/no serious competition?

1 minute ago, The Black Hat said:

220/221/222

They are also asking to be done IMO. 220 wise there is demand for XC ones IMO. 221 likewise, with the added bonus of the later Virgin and Avanti liveries and the fact that the Bachmann XC ones tilt which is inaccurate nowadays. 222 has never been done and has had a few liveries so a good shout for me.

And I'd be keen for an XC one of some sort.

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst I know you have made some good points, is it something that they'd want to go to war over rather than choose something else that will also sell well but with very little/no serious competition?

There must be less compeition over the Class 92s, but avoiding competition cant really have been a problem with the Deltic / Class 37 / Class 31s

Of course there's the Heljan new tooling too, I'm not really sure where that fits in the market.

Personally I like the Bachmann 47 - the only things that grate a bit are the price, the headcode disks looking a fraction large and the flush fronted ones just dont look right to my eye. It would be high-risk in that Bachmann could have room to bring their price down with competition, but if you're looking for potentials that could sell numerous liveries over years with a multitude of detail variations then it would certainly fit Accurascales recent MO.

• Like 2

Just now, GordonC said:

There must be less compeition over the Class 92s, but avoiding competition cant really have been a problem with the Deltic / Class 37 / Class 31s

Yes but the 55, 37 and 31 haven't just been tooled from scratch by the competition either. The Hornby 31 hasn't ever really been regarded as great I don't think, and the Bachmann 37 is good but room for improvement and (like the 47 and 66) can probably support competition. My thoughts about the 47 was that there's already 2 models out there when the Heljan one turns up (although I don't know when that is)

I think a 50 is an easier target although probably less wide an appeal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Probably covers more areas than the Deltic did and look at the appeal for that one

Deltics always had that aura and noise though. There may only have been 22 of them, but they were always iconic and had a following

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Deltics always had that aura and noise though. There may only have been 22 of them, but they were always iconic and had a following

Can’t disagree, but the Hoover also had an appeal more so when in NSE colours etc , TBH I hated them when they move to then WR because my favourite and beloved Westerns were being ousted, but they still had a good following and are still active today