The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

"At this point in time"

spikey

Ever since people started to say "at this point in time" instead of "now", I've been waiting for the day.  And it's finally arrived via the BBC News website:  a Mr Jones of Messrs Amazon is quoted thus ...

"We've been planning this for a long time. It's a big step up in volume. In the early days of lockdown all our capacity was being used. We're confident that we can launch this service now at this point in time," he says.

Edited by spikey
  • Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, spikey said:

Ever since people started to say "at this point in time" instead of "now", I've been waiting for the day.  And it's finally arrived via the BBC News website:  a Mr Jones of Messrs Amazon is quoted as saying ...

"We've been planning this for a long time. It's a big step up in volume. In the early days of lockdown all our capacity was being used. We're confident that we can launch this service now at this point in time," he says.

He's missed currently, immediately  and as of out if the sentence!

Mike.

• Agree 3

Some of you may have watched the excellent Sci-Fi series Babylon 5.

A recurring line from the Centauri ambassador Londo Mollari was "When the time is right".

This phrase seems to be being used a lot at the current time...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I broadly agree but I think there's a subtle difference between "at this point in time" and "now", the latter just being a synonym for current and the former carrying an implementation that now is the appropriate time for something instead of just happening to be the current time.

Not that that difference always seems to occur to the people using the phrase.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

He's missed currently, immediately  and as of out if the sentence!

Mike.

"Going forward/s" gets added to every sentence about planning here by talking heads and middle  management enthusiasts.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, spikey said:

So at least they didn't start the sentence with the word "So"..... :shout: :punish: :jester:

There was a news report on TV earlier this week where the Interviewee did this, with every single reply. I had to switch over in the end....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

So at least they didn't start the sentence with the word "So"..... :shout: :punish: :jester:

There was a news report on TV earlier this week where the Interviewee did this, with every single reply. I had to switch over in the end....

If you're going to say "So", it should be pronounced "Zo"!

and, instead of using "At this point in time", perhaps "From this moment on" could be used, as Cole Porter did...

Its quite the thing!

(Another mis-usage that grinds my teeth...)

Edited by Hroth
Getting the video to insert!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The two expressions that grate with me are these.

I or me, personally. If you are referring to yourself how can it be anything but personal to yourself?

The other is putting a qualifying word in front of the word unique.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

A "big" ask

What's an ask? There's isn't such a noun.

There is now!

Nominalisation or 'nouning' of  verbs is hardly new and few would now consider "The trawler crew landed their catch" as colloquial  or poor English .

There are many of them that grate on me, such as the "The British Swim Team" but they're being formed all the time and are not inherently ungrammatical.

Ask as a noun has though been in the English language for over a thousand years. It fell out of use in the late nineteenth century but reappeared as an Australian cricket colloquialism, usually as "a big ask" or "a huge ask"  towards the end of the last century. So, in that context, it's not now even a neologism.

Asking a lanugage as dynamic as ours to not change over time is an impossibly big ask!   

By the way, the 'neologism' woke was used politically in support of Abraham Lincolln during the 1860 presidential election but its origins in African-American Vernacular English probably go back further than that. It was also used in something like its present political meaning in the 1960s but also in the late 1930s.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, spikey said:

Ever since people started to say "at this point in time" instead of "now", I've been waiting for the day. 

You've been waiting a long time then: people have been lampooning this sort of usage for years.  Back in the 1970s the phrases "at this juncture" and "at this present moment in time" infested the speech of spokesmen and interviewees (for some reason I hear the latter in the voice of Harold Wilson).

Does anyone remember the spoof gameshow on Not the Nine O'Clock News where union leaders had to speak for as long as possible without using the word "aspirations"?

32 minutes ago, PatB said:

I think they used to be called rules. 

No a Rule is a rule to which you as a good Union Man work to the letter of when working to rule.

"Working to strict guidelines," doesn't have quite the same je ne sais quoi does it?

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What grinds my gears (thank you, Homer) most among modern language-mangling is 'could/should/would of', instead of the correct 'have'.  One from earlier today was 'reversing back'; you can reverse, or go back, but reversing back is a double negative and must therefore mean 'going forward'.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

No a Rule is a rule to which you as a good Union Man work to the letter of when working to rule.

"Working to strict guidelines," doesn't have quite the same je ne sais quoi does it?

One problem with "Working To Rule" is that you suddenly find yourself working more efficiently and productively than you did normally. Not often, but it sometimes happens!  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Tankerman said:

The other is putting a qualifying word in front of the word unique.

"The most optimal solution" was on the BBC News site only yesterday ...

Edited by spikey

One that really annoys me recently is "Road Map" or the Americanism "Route Map".

Even I've thought "Don't youngsters use satnavs now?"  

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Scotland's route map - what you can and cannot do

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1