The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

"At this point in time"

spikey

Annoying me on news channels is the use of "uptick" instead of upturn. As in, "Our graph shows that there has been an uptick in coronovirus cases" To be fair, I have never heard of a "downtick" in cases, though I am listening for it.

For some reason I have started counting the use of "Erm" in questions by interviewers, some of whom are particularly guilty of this ill disguised thinking time ploy. 

Feel free to tear my written use of the English language to pieces.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Can i get is one of my pet hates instead of please can i have

Not much i know but it doesn't sound right to my blue sky thinking 

The answer, especially in a pub or bar, is 

'No, you can have it, but I'll get it'

"Yeah No...what it is is", I hear a lot of young people on the radio saying things like "I was like..."/"it was like..."/"he was like..." but they never describe what the "like" is.

I find the use of "Lol" in a post is quite childish, it reminds me of a second rate comedian laughing at his own joke to get you to think it was funny.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another very annoying phrase that has crept into a lot of people's speech is "you know"; I once counted a friend's usage at over twenty times in a single half-hour conversation. Today he used it THREE!!! times in ONE sentence! :huh:

On 02/08/2020 at 12:10, J. S. Bach said:

Another very annoying phrase that has crept into a lot of people's speech is "you know"; I once counted a friend's usage at over twenty times in a single half-hour conversation. Today he used it THREE!!! times in ONE sentence! :huh:

That was all the rage here many years ago, "You know" was used like an "Umm" when people were struggling - "And you know I went to the you know bank  and the queue was you know really long"

Now 'like' or  'and like' has replaced it

"And like I went to the  bank like, and the queue was like really long"

Sometimes both, for maximum effect "And the queue was like, you know, really long"

• Funny 4

On 01/08/2020 at 16:42, simontaylor484 said:

Can i get is one of my pet hates instead of please can i have

Not much i know but it doesn't sound right to my blue sky thinking 

You just have to think outside the box and run a flag up the flagpole to see who salutes.

Its all buzzwords, like, innit?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

One 'delightful' phrase is the shortening of the year. Before, we had Twenty-Twenty... 

Now.... It's 2-20....

"Wot, like, after lunch?"

"No, Twenty-Twenty...."

"But you said 2-20..."

"I meant the year Twenty-Twenty, not the time..."

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2020 at 20:56, monkeysarefun said:

"And like I went to the  bank like, and the queue was like really long"

That reminds me of Valley Girl by Frank Zappa

Like totally....wow....oh my god.....totally..

My older brother played this to me 40 years ago. I now wonder that Frank Zappa was actually giving us a peek into the future.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We used to have a director whose pet phrase was "We are where we are" and was a huge fan of business b""""""s buzzwords.  It got to the point where we ended up playing buzzword bingo in meetings rather than listen to his inane drivel.

He made Gus Hedges seem a linguistic genius although he never quite got to taking us all for a paddle in his mental think tank, much to my disappointment.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 21:42, Tankerman said:

The two expressions that grate with me are these.

I or me, personally. If you are referring to yourself how can it be anything but personal to yourself?

I disagree with this, there are differences in meaning.

A topical example

I personally do not like wearing a mask

I, as a member of society, wear a mask

and another

i personally do not agree with the sale of arms to foreign regimes 

I as director of of this arms company, approve of the sale of murder-death-kill to anyone who gives us money

Edited by Talltim

4 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

That reminds me of Valley Girl by Frank Zappa

Like totally....wow....oh my god.....totally..

My older brother played this to me 40 years ago. I now wonder that Frank Zappa was actually giving us a peek into the future.

Surely he was giving a peek at the San Fernando Valley at the time?

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

We used to have a director whose pet phrase was "We are where we are" and was a huge fan of business b""""""s buzzwords.  It got to the point where we ended up playing buzzword bingo in meetings rather than listen to his inane drivel.

He made Gus Hedges seem a linguistic genius although he never quite got to taking us all for a paddle in his mental think tank, much to my disappointment.

Some of our 'spare parts at a wedding' would do, or say, totally unrelated phrases. 

For mental think tank, think rectal think tank...

How about this? Absolute classic at not saying anything.....

TO OUR GOOD AND LOYAL SUBJECTS,

After pondering deeply the general trends of the world and the actual conditions obtaining in our empire today, we have decided to effect a settlement of the present situation by resorting to an extraordinary measure.

We have ordered our government to communicate to the governments of the United States, Great Britain, China and the Soviet Union that our empire accepts the provisions of their joint declaration.

To strive for the common prosperity and happiness of all nations as well as the security and well-being of our subjects is the solemn obligation which has been handed down by our imperial ancestors and which lies close to our heart.

Indeed, we declared war on America and Britain out of our sincere desire to ensure Japan's self-preservation and the stabilization of East Asia, it being far from our thought either to infringe upon the sovereignty of other nations or to embark upon territorial aggrandizement.

But now the war has lasted for nearly four years. Despite the best that has been done by everyone – the gallant fighting of the military and naval forces, the diligence and assiduity of our servants of the state, and the devoted service of our one hundred million people – the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage, while the general trends of the world have all turned against her interest.

Moreover, the enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives. Should we continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.

Such being the case, how are we to save the millions of our subjects, or to atone ourselves before the hallowed spirits of our imperial ancestors? This is the reason why we have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the joint declaration of the powers.

We cannot but express the deepest sense of regret to our allied nations of East Asia, who have consistently cooperated with the Empire towards the emancipation of East Asia.

The thought of those officers and men as well as others who have fallen in the fields of battle, those who died at their posts of duty, or those who met with untimely death and all their bereaved families, pains our heart night and day.

The welfare of the wounded and the war-sufferers, and of those who have lost their homes and livelihood, are the objects of our profound solicitude.

The hardships and sufferings to which our nation is to be subjected hereafter will be certainly great. We are keenly aware of the inmost feelings of all of you, our subjects. However, it is according to the dictates of time and fate that We have resolved to pave the way for a grand peace for all the generations to come by enduring the unendurable and suffering what is unsufferable.

Having been able to safeguard and maintain the Kokutai, We are always with you, our good and loyal subjects, relying upon your sincerity and integrity.

Beware most strictly of any outbursts of emotion which may engender needless complications, or any fraternal contention and strife which may create confusion, lead you astray and cause you to lose the confidence of the world.

Let the entire nation continue as one family from generation to generation, ever firm in its faith in the imperishability of its sacred land, and mindful of its heavy burden of responsibility, and of the long road before it.

Unite your total strength, to be devoted to construction for the future. Cultivate the ways of rectitude, foster nobility of spirit, and work with resolution – so that you may enhance the innate glory of the imperial state and keep pace with the progress of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_Voice_Broadcast

Jason

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2020 at 21:24, F-UnitMad said:

So at least they didn't start the sentence with the word "So"..... :shout: :punish: :jester:

There was a news report on TV earlier this week where the Interviewee did this, with every single reply. I had to switch over in the end....

I had not noticed how often 'so' was being used unnecessarily at the beginning of sentences until Susie Dent, on 'Countdown', cited it as something that annoyed her. So now it rankles every time it is used on television and that is very often.

In written media the incorrect use of similar words, such as complimentary and complementary, annoys, although I think that there is an increasing tendency to accept any spelling that sounds 'right'.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Talltim said:

I disagree with this, there are differences in meaning.

A topical example

I personally do not like wearing a mask

I, as a member of society, wear a mask

and another

i personally do not agree with the sale of arms to foreign regimes 

I as director of of this arms company, approve of the sale of murder-death-kill to anyone who gives us money

To me these are different statements. 

Saying "I do not like wearing a mask", is complete in itself as the use of I makes it personal to you. Saying "I, as a member of society, wear a mask". Conveys that you wear a mask because you see it as an obligation to a third party, namely society.

Likewise, saying "I do not agree with the sale of arms to foreign regimes.", is complete in itself as the use of I makes it personal to you. Saying "I, as director of of this arms company, approve of the sale of murder-death-kill to anyone who gives us money." In this case you are not speaking personally, but in your capacity as the director of an arms company.