RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

23 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Feeding a workhorse

Whilst helping Dad with our layout 'Braeside', I grabbed a photograph of Aberdeen station pilot (ex LNER Thompson B1 - 61347) arriving at the coaling stage.

bm-braeside-feb-2022-07.jpg

That's fabulous, you can almost smell it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to highlight two aspects of this image which are truly superb in terms of creating an atmosphere and 'feel'.  The general mistiness and greyness is redolent of the Granite  City, and one can almost feel the har blowing in off the North Sea.  The scene is deserted with no humans; anyone with any sense is inside in the warm!  Then there is the Morris van; the impression that it is being steered around the loco is very strongly re-inforced by the 'sit' of the van, lower on it's left than the right, though this may be the result of the camber of the road.  It's also sat down on its rear axle a bit, suggesting that it is loaded, or accellerating, or both.  The loco and scratch-built buildings are superb of course, but it is this sort of attention to atmospheric detail and believabillity that brings a scene to life.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to highlight two aspects of this image which are truly superb in terms of creating an atmosphere and 'feel'.  The general mistiness and greyness is redolent of the Granite  City, and one can almost feel the har blowing in off the North Sea.  The scene is deserted with no humans; anyone with any sense is inside in the warm!  Then there is the Morris van; the impression that it is being steered around the loco is very strongly re-inforced by the 'sit' of the van, lower on it's left than the right, though this may be the result of the camber of the road.  It's also sat down on its rear axle a bit, suggesting that it is loaded, or accellerating, or both.  The loco and scratch-built buildings are superb of course, but it is this sort of attention to atmospheric detail and believabillity that brings a scene to life.

I doesn't get much better than this, right up there with Arun Quay, Ladmanlow, and Rob's various Sheep layouts.  I note you are a professional model maker, and am not surprised!

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2022 at 17:09, The Johnster said:

I doesn't get much better than this, right up there with Arun Quay, Ladmanlow, and Rob's various Sheep layouts.  I note you are a professional model maker, and am not surprised!

I am somewhat taken aback to find myself mentioned amongst such esteemed company. 

I thank you Jonners. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I am somewhat taken aback to find myself mentioned amongst such esteemed company. 

I thank you Jonners. 

Rob. 

You're welcome, Sheepman.  No BS, I regard your layouts as inspirational and as good as it gets within the envelope of 00 RTR, and are brilliant examples of a holistic approach which includes atmosphere and detailing as well as close attention to the trains and how they operate.  My own efforts are crude and feeble in comparison.

Good modelling IMHO is not simply mastering the techniques and methods needed to produce accurate models, it is also very much about presentation and positioning of buildings and items of scenery, proscenium sightlines, and lighting, and is, I contend, to an extent a natural talent that can only be learned or emulated to a limited degree by those like me who do not posess it.  We try our best and for my part I get a huge amount of satisfaction and pleasure from my layout, which is of course the point, but part of that satisfaction and pleasure is a function of accepting my limitations.  I'll never build locos like Guy Williams or Ian Pemberton, or design layouts like Iain Rice, or make buildings like Allan Downes, nor will I ever master main line operation in a limited space with the realism that Peter Denny or Frank Dyer managed, incidentally in what we would now regard as course scale 00.  You have in my view a good deal of natural talent, and have developed considerable skills to exploit it. 

2 hours ago, Karl said:

Quiet late afternoon on shed today.MPD-6.3.22-3.jpg.8298d8488c354d7b7b7fb29e57eed2ea.jpg

Heathfield-MPD-6.3.22-2.jpg

I can almost feel the summer evening warmth, and it has triggered a desire to finish off the day with a cool beer.  The rusty hopper is magnificent, and the oily sheen on the locos is just right.  Good stuff.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You're welcome, Sheepman.  No BS, I regard your layouts as inspirational and as good as it gets within the envelope of 00 RTR, and are brilliant examples of a holistic approach which includes atmosphere and detailing as well as close attention to the trains and how they operate.  My own efforts are crude and feeble in comparison.

Good modelling IMHO is not simply mastering the techniques and methods needed to produce accurate models, it is also very much about presentation and positioning of buildings and items of scenery, proscenium sightlines, and lighting, and is, I contend, to an extent a natural talent that can only be learned or emulated to a limited degree by those like me who do not posess it.  We try our best and for my part I get a huge amount of satisfaction and pleasure from my layout, which is of course the point, but part of that satisfaction and pleasure is a function of accepting my limitations.  I'll never build locos like Guy Williams or Ian Pemberton, or design layouts like Iain Rice, or make buildings like Allan Downes, nor will I ever master main line operation in a limited space with the realism that Peter Denny or Frank Dyer managed, incidentally in what we would now regard as course scale 00.  You have in my view a good deal of natural talent, and have developed considerable skills to exploit it. 

I can almost feel the summer evening warmth, and it has triggered a desire to finish off the day with a cool beer.  The rusty hopper is magnificent, and the oily sheen on the locos is just right.  Good stuff.

Thankyou very much, although I can take no credit for the engines, they are GrimyTimes finest!