Show us yours - Realistic modelling

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve fay said:

Creechly S&D 

Hi Steve, So is that a model or reality? I assume the backscene is a photograph but even so absolutely wonderful!...

Kind regards

Richard B

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, steve fay said:

When I can I like to find good spots to set up my models for photographs,  I passed this location recently and knew it would be ideal for Creechly. These shots were taken a few hours ago 

6705DE91-C062-4887-8902-1E59D17D9CF3.png

Certainly looks a bit Somerset-ish!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

Ex NBR C16 No. 67488, shedded at Polmont, runs along the shoreline West of Bo'ness with a late evening summer service to Grangemouth.
Model is a modified NuCast kit, upgraded so it can compete with RTR offerings in terms of detailing, sitting on a modified Hornby Adam's chassis with wheels appropriately changed with correct diameters.

DSC_4798.jpg.6dcf87a7ef0547f5de818afa4ce78431.jpg

I ended up clicking and zooming in on this one - what a brilliant image!

Do you have a thread on here for this layout? 
Thanks

jay

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

Ex NBR C16 No. 67488, shedded at Polmont, runs along the shoreline West of Bo'ness with a late evening summer service to Grangemouth.
Model is a modified NuCast kit, upgraded so it can compete with RTR offerings in terms of detailing, sitting on a modified Hornby Adam's chassis with wheels appropriately changed with correct diameters.

DSC_4798.jpg.6dcf87a7ef0547f5de818afa4ce78431.jpg

That looks like the real thing. Is it in sunlight or what lighting are you using?

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, steve fay said:

Creechly S&D 

F49800C0-75B2-46D8-B0C9-8663A8B704E5.png

Because this is so good, it gets to the stage of looking for things which show it's a model. The only thing I can pick up on is the countryside visible through the goods shed, where there should be the tracks from the platform leading into the distance. Park a van in there and it would be near impossible to tell.

Please don't think I'm criticising, this is far in advance of what I could do!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I ended up clicking and zooming in on this one - what a brilliant image!

Do you have a thread on here for this layout? 
Thanks

jay

Thanks.  I don't have a layout thread as such yet, the image is actually taken on my Charlestown Kiln diorama with the kiln removed (the structure was made removable for storage purposes).  I found it substitutes in well as a generic section of river shore railway line, similar to other areas on the Fife Coastal route or the Bo'ness branch.  All that changes is the backscene, exhaust and sky which are added in photoshop.

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

That looks like the real thing. Is it in sunlight or what lighting are you using?

Cheers!  Sadly not in sunlight, but I use anywhere between one and three LED sitelights to stage the photo lighting, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, JonathonAG said:

Cheers!  Sadly not in sunlight, but I use anywhere between one and three LED sitelights to stage the photo lighting, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

No, that’s good. One thing that I feel makes my pictures still look model-ish is down to the lighting. I’m experimenting with cooler LED bulbs at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 97406 said:

No, that’s good. One thing that I feel makes my pictures still look model-ish is down to the lighting. I’m experimenting with cooler LED bulbs at the moment.

I use a couple of LED strips on Chuffnell Regis, the nice thing about them is that you can adjust the colour temperature.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use LED anglepoise strip lights to illuminate the layout, and these have 3 levels of light output and 3 colour casts, warm, cool, and mixed.  I can therefore simulate sunny, bright, or overcast conditions and to an extent the time of day, wihh low output for early morning and late evening.  My default is cool overcast medium; this is the South Wales valleys, not an area famous for bright and sunny weather and a grey drizzle is more typical.

Natural light does affect the railway room around midday on sunny days, and by coincidence rather than design the layout is geographically aligned very similarly to the real Dimbath Valley in which it purports to be situated, so I occasionally take advantage of this for photos as well.  For photos, natural light is best!

• Like 2