Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

I live in constant fear of driving a train through them, so they mostly stay closed to road traffic. 

Been there, done that (or one of my operators at an exhibition did that!). Virtually scratchbuilt gates on Bleakhouse Road, took several hours to remove them and rebuild!

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Although not in remotely the same league as the brilliant work of Kelvin and Robin, I was inspired to take a couple of level-crossing shots on my own layout.

P1140783.JPG.d4472b1870dad863e93b76ef617fd8fa.JPG

P1140784.JPG.211adf2e508f540119562f8f911951b5.JPG

These gates are servo-operated which is fine if you're a mechanical or electronics wizard. In the hands of a bodger like me, though, they've proved quite a pain to set up and then maintain. Also, since they're not interlocked, I live in constant fear of driving a train through them, so they mostly stay closed to road traffic. However, they are fun for the occasional photo.

Hi Barry Ten

The gates at Stratford St. Mary have very delicate copper wire infil rods, although the gates are brass and quite sturdy, a collision is something to be avoided at all costs. There are relays incorporated in the operating unit which isolate the approach tracks to the crossing when the gates are open to the road. These isolating sections stretch for several feet before the crossing on the approach to allow for DMUs and push-pull trains powered from the rear, to be halted in time. The system allows trains to depart from the platform road when the gates are closed behind it, but a diode does not allow trains to reverse into the gate. Similarly, trains are able to proceed along the single track away from the crossing in the opposite direction, and once the crossing is clear the gates can be closed behind it.

It's not a foolproof system, but it has avoided careless mistakes so far!

Robin.

Edited by robock
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2023 at 15:43, robock said:

A recent video of the Class 15 demonstrating it's haulage powers. 

Ninety fairly heavy wagons, arranged in order of stability to avoid derailments, cresting the 1 in 100 climb from the mainline storage tracks, passing Elmleigh Market Junction.

That is pretty impressive, what would the prototype have been capable of by comparison ?

Edited by John Besley

40 minutes ago, John Besley said:

That is pretty impressive, what would the prototype have been capable of by comparison ?

A phrase involving skins and rice pudding would perhaps be appropriate.

They did look cute in a GP9 kind of way though. Oh and one did appear in BR blue though in departmental service only

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Another day, another backdrop!

I'm having fun, mixing diorama combinations to create different scenes, before introducing daylight.

I hope they convey a sense of realism as it's easy to lose track (sorry) whilst fiddling with the scene.

bm-cottages-batch-19-06-2023-02b.jpg

Rather good (as usual).

A nice weed line on the waters edge, what did you use for the water ?

Adrian

• Like 2

23 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Another day, another backdrop!

I'm having fun, mixing diorama combinations to create different scenes, before introducing daylight.

I hope they convey a sense of realism as it's easy to lose track (sorry) whilst fiddling with the scene.

bm-cottages-batch-19-06-2023-02b.jpg

Really ,really nice, The only thing to make it better If you do not mind me saying, is it needs something in the windows, Then i think it would be spot on.

Edited by mswjr
  • Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 13:37, Right Away said:

A262A1E0-1544-4C85-8524-2F91AF76C741.jpeg.1b6de9711c456b61c3b979df30465da6.jpeg

The recent high temperatures will be keeping the P.W. blokes busy, relaying some buckled metals.

(Looks worse than it actually is, being accentuated by the camera and viewpoint)

That one really did have me fooled at first! Lovely modelling!

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/06/2023 at 00:13, Not Jeremy said:

Nice train, shame about the lavender...

IMG_6284.jpg.f37f3fdb5c5ba676dfc0facc5bad2a78.jpg

What this line needs is a decent photographer!!

Simon

Actually I took it as being an arty real-world shot from high up on an embankment or above a tunnel portal, with flowers in the foreground (I started doing shots like that last year on the Ffestiniog), so I think it works. I think what helps convey the illusion is that the track is so good with proper sleeper spacing :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1