Show us yours - Realistic modelling

15 hours ago, sixteen 12by 10s said:

Clun 1939

DSC00127-Edit-2.jpg

Now that is something I haven't seen before, do you have any more pictures? 

I'd be really interested in seeing some.

I've been busy building a model of the other end of the line set in the same year, but as one where the Great Western had baled out the Clun Valley Railway in 1901, using all manner of obscure and pensioned off stock.

It's a thread on here as Aston on Clun, a forgotten Great Western outpost.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Mucking about with an old image of a long gone Bachmann Warship and Heljan Western...

MODAAA2XrkTTWd.jpg.e92df7f319998a978cddca03881bb40f.jpg

And a Bachmann 08 i sold ages ago, as St.Blazey's 3526 which appears in the Bradford Barton 'Diesels On Cornwall's Mainline' album, photographed at Lostwithiel in 1971, just before it was transferred to Bristol Bath Road...

mod3526haa.jpg.1e34e6440ee58f406ec0998c7bfc95a5.jpg

It's a loco I plan to 'revisit' in 7mm using Dapol's lovely model. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2023 at 20:32, jcredfer said:

Question, if I may?  The Skirt is rather close fitting and quite solid, so presumably, there to prevent something from getting under the loco.   Given the Great Yarmouth location, I can't think of which creature would be there in such numbers as to require such a substantial barrier.  Do you have any information as to what the reason might be?

As others have said, it was due to the presence of people and road vehicles on what was essentiallya street tramway. Same rules for the Wisbech and Upwell though this was obviously more rural. And don't forget, when both systems were constructed and first operated, horse drawn traffic was the norm. The rule book, as far as I'm aware, reflected this and was probably not updated. 

So locos, be they J70s, Sentinels or Drewery shunters all had to conform to these rules...............but.............

Unskirted J70s and Y3 Sentinels found their way onto both systems and ran on the streets/roads. 

Rob

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/08/2023 at 12:07, NHY 581 said:

As others have said, it was due to the presence of people and road vehicles on what was essentiallya street tramway. Same rules for the Wisbech and Upwell though this was obviously more rural. And don't forget, when both systems were constructed and first operated, horse drawn traffic was the norm. The rule book, as far as I'm aware, reflected this and was probably not updated. 

So locos, be they J70s, Sentinels or Drewery shunters all had to conform to these rules...............but.............

Unskirted J70s and Y3 Sentinels found their way onto both systems and ran on the streets/roads. 

Rob

This sort of thing is usually sorted out in the relevant Sectional Appendix, where the exact conditions under which skirted and unskirted locos may run on 'tramroad' and similar railways will be laid out.  On Swansea Docks, for instance, the locos did not need skirts but had to carry bells, as did loco working the Weymouth Harbour tramway.  ISTR Aberdeen Docks locos had bells as well. 

I am not familiar with the regulations which apply to this, but there is I think a difference between trains running on a public highway and trains running in dock areas that are not fully accessible to the public. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

With really so very much fantastic modelling on show in this thread, I don't like to make too much fuss about one single post over all the other great stuff, but with this I simply had to say so, to me there is something about it that is just right. It is absolutely stunning.

Thank you 92912 for posting it.

On 29/08/2023 at 21:36, 92912 said:

Std 3 tank enjoying some evening sun 

PSX_20180614_194554.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

With really so very much fantastic modelling on show in this thread, I don't like to make too much fuss about one single post over all the other great stuff, but with this I simply had to say so, to me there is something about it that is just right. It is absolutely stunning.

Thank you 92912 for posting it.

I completely agree. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1