Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Still a work in progress, but getting there 

Nice. I tried my hand at a diesel over the weekend but didn't make a very good job of it. Slinging a load of muck on a wagon is easy. A subtle and realistic dusting of a loco that gets cleaned once a week is another thing entirely. Well done to you.

1 minute ago, AndrueC said:

Nice. I tried my hand at a diesel over the weekend but didn't make a very good job of it. Slinging a load of muck on a wagon is easy. A subtle and realistic dusting of a loco that gets cleaned once a week is another thing entirely. Well done to you.

im actually replicating the process on a tutorial video series on my YouTube channel to show what I did

• Informative/Useful 1

On 17/01/2022 at 12:07, AndrueC said:

The last of the Freightliner wagons sits forlornly in a siding watching trains enter and leave the South Yard. Waiting for that one last time that it gets hooked up and hauled to its fate.

Are the crew waiting for the wind to die down a bit? I can see it's already blown a big tree over! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Are the crew waiting for the wind to die down a bit? I can see it's already blown a big tree over! :)

Yes, I noticed that. There's also a bush that has been blown perilously close to the track :)

There's also a section of track just before that turnout that I really ought to replace but frankly I think it's too much bother. Somehow despite using Setrack I ended up with a 100mm gap between the curve and the turnout and tried to fill it with flextrack. It barely worked and I had to fill in a gap with solder which the front bogie of my 4-6-2 doesn't like.

Edited by AndrueC

31 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I ended up having to fill a gap with solder

Hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Is is derailing due to the solder on the inside of the track lifting the wheels? Can you heat it with a soldering iron and wick away the excess with some copper braid?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, BroadLeaves said:

Hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Is is derailing due to the solder on the inside of the track lifting the wheels? Can you heat it with a soldering iron and wick away the excess with some copper braid?

I think it probably is. It's got to be worth a try. Attempting to remove 100mm of track then insert a fresh piece is never easy and the problem here is that that bit of track has to be slightly curved. Unfortunately I think I only have access from the wagon side (so the inside of the rail is facing away from me) so it won't be easy whatever I try and do.

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2022 at 09:47, MP40058 said:

Now for my favourite class of locomotive! Haymarkets only allocated splitbox on the goods. The retooled Bachmanns are a pretty close example for OO scale. However, still had to add the obvious pipe under the cab, which should have been added to the retooled version, in my opinion. These came from Westhill Wagon Works as part of the 3D printed kit they supply for the Class 44/45/46

PSX_20220118_192242.jpg.7bd83d1f8b3fbae209e9d3863f6fedb3.jpg

PSX_20220118_192616.jpg.e844235ad290ccbf1db5cb2666c28ca8.jpg

My favourite class too. Very evocative pics, there! :)

Edited by 97406