Class 48 in 00 Considered by “Model Rail”

No Decorum

5 hours ago, pheaton said:

Not all the 68000 series were sulzer some had ago engines, there is a free sound project on the education website which is apparently a sulzer one.

Hi Phaeton, I believe the 68000 sounds used is from the ESU file which is the 68000 sulzers..I think. Certainly can tell the difference between the 68500's and the others in clips iv heard.

Cheers

James

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Pictures of the Model Rail/Heljan Class 48 via today's Kernow Model Centre newsletter.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/100/Newsletter-Current

That’s some serious rivet detailing on the roof.

https://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/images/product/Class 48 roof_WEB.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

That’s some serious rivet detailing on the roof.

https://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/images/product/Class 48 roof_WEB.jpg

How do they open the roof hatches to get to the engine without and hinges?

014rm.jpg.d0bdb07176fbacf8e3d0a3fe6048a64d.jpg

005a.jpg.20c1c9984bd5265f0c0e67e7c9b5b9b6.jpg

This is my model under construction.

I also think the exhaust ports are to close together.

As there are not many photos of the class 48s I found the Cuban T975 class to be a useful source of roof details. Apart from the cooling group a Class 48 is the same as a class T975.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

How do they open the roof hatches to get to the engine without and hinges?

As there are not many photos of the class 48s I found the Cuban T975 class to be a useful source of roof details. Apart from the cooling group a Class 48 is the same as a class T975.

They couldn’t. Like me, the designers were unhinged. 🤣

I found pictures of the roof details hard to find too, despite having a book about the 47s with information about the 48s. You’re doing a grand job there.

I see that one of the models originally proposed has been omitted. Now there are just four: small yellow panel and full yellow ends, each with a weathered version.

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

looking forward to the new Class 48’s, any idea which year and month D1702-06 received full yellow ends.

Thanks Fred

Also check out http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=6&jndex=3&kndex=2&s_loco=1702

and the photo section http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_photos_1.php?index=6&jndex=3&kndex=5&s_loco=1705

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I am very out of date now having retired from the big railway in 2006. Is the class 48 the re-engined class 47 that I vaguely remember back in the day? The Sulzer double 6LDA was never a great idea for long term relaibility. But, I guess, a cheap solution for a type 4 using common parts with type 2 Sulzer engined types. Certainly better than trying to get more power from a souped up 8LDA...

Who's engine went into the 48?

Kind regards,

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi Clive,

I am very out of date now having retired from the big railway in 2006. Is the class 48 the re-engined class 47 that I vaguely remember back in the day? The Sulzer double 6LDA was never a great idea for long term relaibility. But, I guess, a cheap solution for a type 4 using common parts with type 2 Sulzer engined types. Certainly better than trying to get more power from a souped up 8LDA...

Kind regards,

They were built with Sulzer V 12 engines (12LVA24) but proved less reliable than the double 6LDA (12LDA28C) installed in the 47s. All were re-engined to become 47s before being painted in BR blue and before receiving TOPS numbers.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi Clive,

Kind regards,

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

They were built with Sulzer V 12 engines (12LVA24) but proved less reliable than the double 6LDA (12LDA28C) installed in the 47s. All were re-engined to become 47s before being painted in BR blue and before receiving TOPS numbers.

The Sulzer 12LVA24 were unreliable in BR service because one of the tools for setting them up was made wrong by Sulzer. This was discovered  by SNCF after they became their property, their tools had been made correctly and the engines went on to have a long service life.

Please don't ask me which tool as I cannot remember and it wouldn't mean much to me as I am not a diesel fitter but a retired nurse.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

41 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Sulzer 12LVA24 were unreliable in BR service because one of the tools for setting the m up was made wrong by Sulzer. This was discovered  by SNCF after they became their property was their tools had been made correctly and the engines went on to have a long service life.

Please don't ask me which tool as I cannot remember and it wouldn't mean much to me as I am not a diesel fitter but a retired nurse.

Probably a left handed screwdriver 

• Funny 5

D1702 got its 12LDA28C engine from written-off D1908 (which was the 10th Class 47 I ever saw, in 1968 and by pure chance). D1702/3/5 were all inside Crewe Works on 3/11/69 but there was no sign of the remains of D1908 (withdrawn 8/69) which had been cut up the previous month.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 01/10/2020 at 18:34, No Decorum said:

Woo hoo! According to the latest issue of Model Rail, the Class 48 is a goer. Five models, of which two will be weathered. Price TBC, arrival late 2021.

MR700: D1702, BR two-tone green.

MR701: D1704, BR two-tone green, weathered.

MR702: D1706, BR two-tone green, yellow ends.

MR703: D1703, BR two-tone green, yellow ends, weathered.

MR704: D1705, BR two-tone green.

It can’t be ordered yet. The good people at Model Rail are looking (listening?) into sound, using a French 68000 sound file if it can be “anglicised”.

So did these ever get produced? 

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Hmmm, I don't know, something looks a bit strange with the headcode panel and front end to my untrained eyes.

Mike.

OK….in what way ? The size of the headcode panel has given cause for concern on the main Heljan 47: thread  I am aware but I have yet to have any cogent reason given for this. It would be good if someone would enlighten me.