The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

TV Shows / Films That Nobody Else Seems to Remember?!

Ray Von

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have a lengthy list of forgotten programmes from the 1970's/1980's that no one else remembers or does remember but never seem to have been seen on any form of media since first broadcast.

The Paradise Club - Leslie Grantham and Don Henderson, comedy crime drama, think it made it to two series, vanished never to be seen again.

A BBC drama series called The Collectors, I think about Customs & Excise officers whose only evidence I can find of its existence is a groovy theme tune on an old BBC issued TV themes cassette.

Boon with the late great Michael Elphick

Galloping Galaxies - a (BBC?) children's show, sort of sci-fi Rentaghost stylee type thing I think.

Another childrens programme, ITV this time, no idea of the title, a young lad who presents a topical news programme on events in his life, school and immediate area from his bedroom in news broadcast format.

Rockcliffe's Babies

Star Cops

Bugs

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I seem to have a lengthy list of forgotten programmes from the 1970's/1980's that no one else remembers or does remember but never seem to have been seen on any form of media since first broadcast.

The Paradise Club - Leslie Grantham and Don Henderson, comedy crime drama, think it made it to two series, vanished never to be seen again.

A BBC drama series called The Collectors, I think about Customs & Excise officers whose only evidence I can find of its existence is a groovy theme tune on an old BBC issued TV themes cassette.

Boon with the late great Michael Elphick

Galloping Galaxies - a (BBC?) children's show, sort of sci-fi Rentaghost stylee type thing I think.

Another childrens programme, ITV this time, no idea of the title, a young lad who presents a topical news programme on events in his life, school and immediate area from his bedroom in news broadcast format.

Rockcliffe's Babies

Star Cops

Bugs

Out of that lot, I remember The Paradise Club, Boon and Rockcliffe's Babies.

Anyone else remember the Flaxton Boys ?  IIRC each series had the boys of the previous series as the fathers of the boys of the current series.

Another one that for some reasons sticks in my mind (which I only remember one run of) was in the early 80s, late evening - "Big Jim and the Figaro Club"  Set on a building site, probably some years earlier.

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Star Cops

I do remember that series, just because it seemed realistically possible, not too far fetched. The effect were good too for TV at the time; one sequence was someone falling down a shaft on the moon and it really bought home how slow things would fall; then the horrible thought if how long the person would have had, knowing they were doomed :O 

Some of the production team had worked on Blake's 7 and the main character (Nathan Cross) had a mini computer/AI called 'box' which sort of reminded me of 'Orac' on Blake's 7."Box?" "Yes, Nathan..." I now wonder if I was recalling this when we named our son Nathan!

There was one story about computer viruses where the control of the channel tunnel was compromised, with the key phrase to start the program being 'o rose, thou art sick' (Blake). Having looked it up, amazed it was 1987 & I can still remember that; we're only 7 years from it's supposed setting in 2027!

• RMweb Premium

Angels was sort of the predecessor to Casualty.  About the same time there was also an awful seemingly long forgotten soap set on a North Sea ferry called Triangle if I recall....

Late night ITV after Prisoner Cell Block H on a Tuesday threw up some interesting series, a TV series version sort of sequel to the film of War of The Worlds and a Australian cop show called Phoenix.

Then over on Channel 4 they brought us the mesmerising and fascinating Late Night Poker.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

Angels - set in St. Angela's Hospital, hence 'angels', but the Angels title seemed to become popularised as newspaper shorthand for nurses in general. Replaced by Casualty.

Going back further 'White Horses'. The theme tune was very popular too.

Ah, Triangle - Kate o'Mara, Larry Lamb and Joan Greenwood. What jolly fun on a North Sea ferry.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Here's one that's been bugging me. What was the British space based sitcom that aired late on a Friday or Saturday night (I think) in the early 1980s? It predated Red Dwarf by a good few years and was on one of the minority channels (either BBC2 or Channel 4). I remember watching it, and thinking it was quite funny, but I cannot recall anything else about it, including the title. I have a vague memory of the credit sequence depicting someone either jumping or falling through a doorway in slo-mo to indicate zero-g, but that's it. 

Edit: As you were. I think it must have been this, so clearly I couldn't even reliably remember which channel it was on. Or what night. 

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Anyone remember a  BBC offering of Japanese series called  ' The Water Margin' ?

I always thought of it as 'Monkey, but the serious one' 

Captain Zep

Space Detective. Had Gary Wilmot as his sidekick. 

Zep would solve a space murder while a studio audience of a horde of kids would try to figure out the clues. 

Absolutely zero budget. None. All the aliens & locations were static images. Not even animated.

I hated it but you had to watch what was on in those days. 

On 22/09/2020 at 21:11, russ p said:

Anyone remember winning streak a drama about rallying and an Austin Rover dealership in Yorkshire. 

I watched it on YouTube recently there was obviously a second series planned which never happened. 

I wanted to own just about every car that appeared in the show.

There was a massive amount of product placement by Austin Rover but that was fine by me

basically the followed the development of the Metro 6r4 for group b rallying 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Some of the production team had worked on Blake's 7 and the main character (Nathan Cross) had a mini computer/AI called 'box' which sort of reminded me of 'Orac' on Blake's 7."Box?" "Yes, Nathan..." I now wonder if I was recalling this when we named our son Nathan!

So prophetic -   "Alexa...?"

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

About the same time there was also an awful seemingly long forgotten soap set on a North Sea ferry called Triangle if I recall....

8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Ah yes Triangle i seem to remember Kate o Mara sunbathing on that show i only have vague recollections of it

I always thought topless sunbathing in the middle of the North Sea was a bit odd...

Then there was the "triangular" route, illustrated in the programme titles. Why? Don't North Sea ferries go to and fro?

The BBC followed that with another "boaty" series, Howards Way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howards'_Way

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PatB said:

Here's one that's been bugging me. What was the British space based sitcom that aired late on a Friday or Saturday night (I think) in the early 1980s? It predated Red Dwarf by a good few years and was on one of the minority channels (either BBC2 or Channel 4). I remember watching it, and thinking it was quite funny, but I cannot recall anything else about it, including the title. I have a vague memory of the credit sequence depicting someone either jumping or falling through a doorway in slo-mo to indicate zero-g, but that's it. 

Edit: As you were. I think it must have been this, so clearly I couldn't even reliably remember which channel it was on. Or what night. 

I was going to say 'Astronauts', but you've already answered the question. It was broadcast rather conveniently at the time you got back from the pub.