RMweb

Lockdown #2

spikey

• RMweb Premium

And Boris can't even get the news conference right!  Was supposed to be at 16:00 then bumped to 17:00, now almost 18:00 and still nothing....

The Covidiots have already started heading out in large numbers for a night out and stripping the shelves of the big Tesco's.

At least the schools are still open thank God!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

And Boris can't even get the news conference right!  Was supposed to be at 16:00 then bumped to 17:00, now almost 18:00 and still nothing....

The Covidiots have already started heading out in large numbers for a night out and stripping the shelves of the big Tesco's.

At least the schools are still open thank God!

it was pointed out to them that millions of people wouldn't be watching due to important sports events. So it was delayed.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Another tip run done,clearing out a house is going to be challenging with charity shops closed and just one tip run allowed per week.

First world problems, I have no sympathy.

Its those who have no wage coming in and will struggle to keep a roof over their heads, those living with an abusive partner, those care home residents with dementia unable to see their relatives, etc who I will be thinking of - not the 'inconvenience' of being unable to dispose of unwanted items.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Its those who have no wage coming in and will struggle to keep a roof over their heads, those living with an abusive partner, those care home residents with dementia unable to see their relatives, etc who I will be thinking of - not the 'inconvenience' of being unable to dispose of unwanted items.

Thanks Phil. 

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread. Obviously I too have similar sympathies.  And yes, caring for an elderly relative I can't visit at end-of-life is one of the challenges I have.

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

16 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

What?

So the fact that charity shops are closed is just First World Problems? My charity alone has lost millions, yes millions and is certainly not alone. I know of quite a few that are closed for good. Mostly the smaller ones which are for the local hospices, but also bigger names such as Age UK have closed shops.

I'm virtually unemployed. If it wasn't for the furlough scheme I would be signing on. I might end up doing so as there's no guarantee we'll be opening up again.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Where Wales leads England follows; we've had over a week now of our 'firebreak'.   Shops are open and fully stocked for almost everything I will need and I can even order takeaways.  My biggest problem is going to be running out of paint for modelling.  Not much to complain about really, and the death rate in Cardiff looks to have peaked, touch wood.  Stop moaning you bunch of English pansies...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 12

It is very clear that the crunch point here in the UK and elsewhere is hospital capacity. Much as I am no fan at all of Johnson, we are dealing here with a highly contagious virus harmless to many but serious enough to enough people to overwhelm hospital capacity that is not designed to cater for more than a handful of people to be in intensive care at any one time. The political tightrope is juggling deaths now versus deaths later - there is no consequence-free option.

We are going to have to come up with better ways to manage this into next year and beyond. Vaccine therapies will help even if they are not a magic bullet, and if managing infection levels until things stabilise requires pre-planned closures of shops etc on occasions then it is going to be better to plan them in (including the support those businesses need) than to keep lurching from one set of rules to another.

As for 'Covidiots', well there are always a few but I think most people want to do the right thing provided they can see the purpose. I do not blame people for wanting to live their lives, and I (as an older member of society) look with horror at the life chances of younger people that are being damaged by this. It is a feature of human history that when bad times hit, there are always some zealots that emerge and the current crisis is no different, with some people advocating martial law, the banning of all joy, and a puritan tendency to say that however strict the rules, they are not strict enough. Freedom is hard won and easily lost.   

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

What?

So the fact that charity shops are closed is just First World Problems? My charity alone has lost millions, yes millions and is certainly not alone. I know of quite a few that are closed for good. Mostly the smaller ones which are for the local hospices, but also bigger names such as Age UK have closed shops.

I'm virtually unemployed. If it wasn't for the furlough scheme I would be signing on. I might end up doing so as there's no guarantee we'll be opening up again.

I was referring to the specific task of taking unwanted items for disposal. Compare that to someone facing 4 weeks at home with an abusive partner for example and its a petty thing to complain about.

However, more widely I take your point that Lockdowns have hit charity shop sector hard with significant financial shortfalls just at a time when the help charities provide is more important than ever. But what exactly is your solution then? The scientific modelling is clear, unless we do something our hospitals won't cope and people WILL die! Extended lockdowns work - half measures like 10pm curfews and closing pubs not serving food don't!

• Agree 2

The BBC website shows a graph from 4 different scientific organisations projections of death rates, a lot of the problem is scientists can't agree( not can anyone predict what is going to happen )

I have screenshots the graph below because I don't know how to do a link on this new tablet of mine 

Screenshot_20201031-223341.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I am afraid it's all a very sad situation but it's a bit blase to say you have no sympathy with problems people have. We do not know Andyb s situation. Yes I have Parents i can't visit. 

Andy B simply talked about disposing of unwanted items. As far as I could tell he made no mention of any thing else.

I imagine quite a lot of people have parents they cannot visit - that in itself is not noteworthy these days but the context in which that statement is made may change everything.

For example I don't know your age, but you could potentially be in your 20s with parents in their 40s with no underlying health conditions. In that situation I would be very unsympathetic, however if you are in your late 50s, have parents in their 80s with dementia or heart problems for example then the situation is radically different and I would feel very sympathetic to your plight.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

And yes, caring for an elderly relative I can't visit at end-of-life is one of the challenges I have.

Unfortunately that was not clear to me in your original post - hence my comment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Are hairdressers and barbers shutting again?  There is so much burbling nonsense it is difficult to make out any exact facts.

The Govt Covid advice site doesn't yet seem to have caught up with this evening's announcement but obviously some sort of official advice has been issued judging by what has been posted by this newspaper. Not daft comment and moans or cheers but a  straightforward list of what is and isn't permitted

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18837653.new-covid-19-lockdown-rules-detail/

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 3

My sympathy for those impacted by this.  Hopefully people will follow the advice and this will reduce the current rise in cases.

Another 1st world (and railway centric) problem is preserved lines who were just starting to get back on their feet.  This will put at risk the specials in the run up to xmas. As these are a big part of their income another risk to jobs and projects in this sector.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I fear that despite Furlough being extended, a lot of hospitality business, pubs, restaurants, etc will probably have one final run up to Wednesday night and then close their doors, chuck the keys in and never return.

The economy was already disappearing around the proverbial U Bend but now it has been firmly flushed into the sewer.

The unseen death toll from undiagnosed non Covid medical conditions because GP's have effectively raised the drawbridges plus the growing mental health issues which are clearly increasing way more than Covid infections doesn't even bear thinking about.

Merry Christmas.....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've no problem with the new lockdown, (perhaps a little late), indeed here in Wigan we are in tier 3 and coping OK (ish). What worries me is Christmas, or the mad rush to shops etc which will happen when (if) lockdown is lifted early December, then a couple of  weeks later over Christmas / New Year we see the figures rise again - then a third lockdown etc.

Somehow we will need to come out of the new lockdown in December slowly and managed. I reckon tier 3 will stay for many well into the New Year.

Christmas WILL be different, I'm sure most will muddle through as best they can - our family included.

Best wishes to all, where ever you are. Rmweb is a small comfort to many (me included) in these disturbing times - and thanks to Andy & the mods for keeping it that way.

Brit15

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1