The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lockdown #2

spikey

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Go and join your fellow nutcases elsewhere and don't use RMweb as a medium to promote your fantasies.

12 months ago that comment would have been reserved for people wishlisting a RTR fell diesel 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

I see no reason to complain about any lockdown measures. The infections & deaths are rising so something needs to be done.

Scientists don't know as much as they would like to, otherwise they would have a solution...but they don't & it is not their fault.

They have found a little about how it spreads though. Even those who object know they are the best way to fight the spread, even if they are not as effective as we would like them to be.

Lockdown measures are just enforcing the obvious because many people don't seem to want to take the responsibility to decide for themselves.

My layout is 2 rooms away. I have plenty to do in there & I seem to be wasting a lot of time in there lately but isn't that what it's for?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I have no problems with the lockdown measures, although they are only vaguely enforced here, partly because shop staff simply get abuse and threats from chavs who won't wear a mask, partly because nobody is 100% certain of how locked down we are at present.

We're just keeping out of the majority of it. I am concerned about my mother, SWMBO is concerned about her grandfather, both of whom are close to 80 and we are advised to keep away as we are over 100 miles apart.

One of my old friends from foreign adventures really made me think when he said - I've been shot three times, stabbed and blown up. I'm sticking to the rules in case my nine lives don't cover biological threats.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Disappointed to see Jim McGeown promoting the Barrington nonsense on his website. There is no natural immunity to covid. You can catch it multiple times. Filling hospitals with covid patients isn't going to help health outcomes for  anyone. 

People should really just stick to their business on their business sites. 

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Disappointed to see Jim McGeown promoting the Barrington nonsense on his website. There is no natural immunity to covid. You can catch it multiple times. Filling hospitals with covid patients isn't going to help health outcomes for  anyone. 

People should really just stick to their business on their business sites. 

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/

But you are propagating his view by posting a link to the site.

Long-term immunity is certainly not proven. But, then again, out of the millions that have had Covid around the world, just a handful of people have had it twice - possibly different strains.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AndyB said:

Another tip run done,clearing out a house is going to be challenging with charity shops closed and just one tip run allowed per week.

Would it be possible for your council to give you an exemption to the once a week rule in the circumstances?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But you are propagating his view by posting a link to the site.

Long-term immunity is certainly not proven. But, then again, out of the millions that have had Covid around the world, just a handful of people have had it twice - possibly different strains.

And a degree of immunity through reinfection will form part of the ultimate resolution - getting Covid seems not to confer long term immunity but it does create short term immunity and builds a degree of resistence. All of these things help slow infection even without social distancing and masks.

Edited by andyman7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

This is quite likely. As a group of diseases, Coronaviruses mutate readily - which is why we still are still susceptible to catching the common cold or flu multiple times within one calender year.

The hope is that as time goes on vaccines plus mutations of the virus make it less deadly but that takes time....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Official Govt list of what is and isn't allowed etc is now available should anybody wish to be informed from the source rather than media spin or a journo's take on things.  Noticeably the 'lockdown' is far less restrictive in some areas than last time with both manufacturing and construction allowed to continue.  One other interesting point is that people are not allowed to stay in a scecond home (if they have one) except for work purposes.

There are still some grey areas for example a tradesman (tradesperson?) working at a property which appears in one sentence to be allowed but it is not spelt out as such by a definite statement.  

Incidentally 'vulnerable' is now 60 and over.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

A practical lockdown question related to modelling -

I see non-essential shops will be able to do click and collect orders; however, if either my closest local Toymaster store or a the art & hobbies shop in the next town (both a source of basics) decides not do so can things like liquid poly be ordered on line and then sent via the mail? 

Can anyone advise what things cannot be sent via the mail system if ordered from "up-country" places?

Edited by john new
My usual clumsy typing

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, spikey said:

So why propogate the Jim McGeown nonsense on this website??

I think it’s worth calling out. Many on here will look at his website anyway and he’s using his reputation as top bloke who makes great kits to peddle nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, john new said:

Although I see shops will be able to do click and collect orders if my local Toymaster store (a source pf basics) does not do so can thinks like liquid poly be ordered on line and then sent via the mail?

What things cannot be sent via the mail system if ordered from other places?

Squires will send liquid poly and paints by mail order, I think they use one of the courier companies.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, john new said:

What things cannot be sent via the mail system if ordered from other places?

Royal Mail are fussy but many of the courier firms will ship pretty much anything. You just might have to order a bit more to be worth the shipping cost.

• Informative/Useful 1

Here in Wigan we have an old saying to get us through adversity - "Keep guwin wit yed down" translates in English (!!) as Keep going with your head down" - perhaps an old coal miners or Rugby League players saying, still used today.

We'll get through this. At least we don't have this to worry about !! (They were after the Steel Works, returning home after a visit to Liverpool). Note the "New Springs" branch line to the right, origin of the loco shed name "Springs Branch". Also 1918 was the time of the far more deadly Spanish Flu, which saw off my Mums mum when she was an infant. Her dad fought in WW1, got gassed and shrapnel wounds but lasted through to the mid 60's. Much harder times (and people) back then.

image.png.7f8d54e8b2f0cc8a7fc94d0218174563.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, john new said:

I see non-essential shops will be able to do click and collect orders; however, if either my closest local Toymaster store or a the art & hobbies shop in the next town (both a source of basics) decides not do so can things like liquid poly be ordered on line and then sent via the mail? 

Can anyone advise what things cannot be sent via the mail system if ordered from "up-country" places?

I got 4 Revel liquid contacta polly off ebay and sent via Royal Mail a few months ago no problem.

Brit15

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's a situation we shouldn't have to be in but we are for numerous reasons. Can we at least try to keep party politics and jibes out of it please?

It seems every single European country is having the same struggles, most countries seem to be further along the timeline, some going into a form of lockdown before us others waiting longer.

As for which party would do better, they all are and would struggle which ever party they belong to.  

My own observations is that too many have not been following the rules either through stupidity or gross selfishness. Where as the vast majority have been doing their best

Living in Essex in a semi rural area we have been living under tier 2 restrictions for a couple of weeks, and guess what the two biggest towns nearest us according to the latest survey published by the BBC, infection rates dropped in both areas last week. None of us liked going into tier 2 but had we not gone in it would be much worse

The one thing I am getting fed up with are both politicians not in power and keyboard warriors with a political agenda moaning. Countries all over the world are struggling, it seems the disease  is fuelled by large numbers of both the young and those in highly populated urban areas failing to take sufficient precautions against spreading it .

Before some start calling me either agest or classist, just look at what is happening.  Firstly there are too many young people continuing to party and failing to socially distance, fact not fiction.   Secondly when you look at the statistics in each area of your county the lowest affected areas are both rural and distanced from large city areas. In hind sight it would be much better had the authorities taken stricter action against those flouting the rules and put more assistance and guidance to those living in crowded areas.

Those making it political capital at a time like this should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Firstly there are too many young people continuing to party and failing to socially distance, fact not fiction. 

Whilst not disagreeing with the statement in isolation it also should be paired with acceptance that too many in mid to older brackets have shown similar negligence or selfishness. I've seen it first hand, seen voxpops of pensioners proud that they're ignoring local restrictions and we have seen members of parliament and government (and their family members) set poor examples.

Every single one of us is either part of the problem or the solution.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

One thing that has to be remarked upon, is the complete absence of "lockdown humour". I therefore offer the following, with acknowledgements to The Spectator and the late Henry Reed 

Today we have naming of tiers.

Yesterday, we had groups of six and tomorrow

there is no knowing what they will say.

In March, we were promised a testing system

which would be world-beating.

But today, the app has glitches and it is autumn.

Here is a slogan. Hands, Face, Space.

It was Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Save Lives

or was it Stay at Home, Protect your Granny. Then Eat Out?

Do not drink after ten. Or travel.

Report your neighbours if they are skipping.

You can hug the trees if they stand alone. 

This is a support bubble.

The purpose of this is to stop us feeling lonely.

But you may not touch.

Today it is social distancing and work from home. 

And then stay there till Christmas. Next year.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Boris increasingly gives the impression of a man running after a departing bus

What bit of my earlier post didn't you understand?

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them.

These will include Courts

, jury service it is then 

I know they have a system in place to protect court staff and jurors but I’m not happy about having to travel 25 miles each way on public transport (bus and train) to and from Chester then sit in a room with 100 or so other jurors waiting  to be called up, I’ve managed to work right through the last lockdown without issue by working alone or making sure I am clear by being tested if I was working with a trainee but next week is worrying me

• Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Would it be possible for your council to give you an exemption to the once a week rule in the circumstances?

Don't bother - if it's anything like ours seemingly run by the Stasi - all hi-vis and clipboard dictatorship.

I am seriously tired of political point scoring and finger pointing over covid. If we don't stick together we are possibly doomed as a species.

Newsflash:

The Martians have landed. 

It's Boris's / Trump's / Putin's fault! 

(Delete as applicable)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, big jim said:

A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them.

These will include Courts

, jury service it is then 

I know they have a system in place to protect court staff and jurors but I’m not happy about having to travel 25 miles each way on public transport (bus and train) to and from Chester then sit in a room with 100 or so other jurors waiting  to be called up, I’ve managed to work right through the last lockdown without issue by working alone or making sure I am clear by being tested if I was working with a trainee but next week is worrying me

.. can't you claim a hire car? I had a circular a while ago about "essential workers" in which it stated that various categories of worker, including jurors could claim the cost of a hire car or approved taxi, for that reason. Or does it vary in different regions?