Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

14 hours ago, big jim said:

Just had a look at the more involved sound pdf on the planet industrials website and it mentioned F20 needing to be disengaged to allow the live volume to be adjusted (the paperwork in the box says F19 though) when I pushed F20 I got the whoosh sound again (vacuum ejector sound) so there’s definitely life in the chip and speaker

one thing I accidentally did was use the lenz to reset the chip in the vain hope it may have cured it but nope, now I’ve lost things like inertia and the brake button function etc, I suppose I’ll have to go into the individual CV’s and re input them one by one to get the chip back to PI optimum settings, can’t believe I did that! 

13 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

I am getting the same problem with my black one at the moment worked fine when I first had the Loco .Was chuffing away the suddenly went silent !Done a factory reset .Somehow lost some of the functions on settings still no sound .Did another reset got function symbols but still no sound .I am ham fisted so not dared to take body off but mine is sound fitted!

I suspect these may be the result of poor track to decoder connection. 

With any Next18 equipped model, after dirty wheels, track, contacts have been sorted, check that the decoder is seated correctly. The interface is small and it's possible to have the decoder inserted but not fully home as some rocking is possible.

Looking from below you may be able to see if the decoder is parallel with the loco PCB.

The model and sound will operate for testing without the body fitted, so 'body off' is the best way to check.

If you successfully  reset CV8 = 8, all will be as delivered and sound will operate when F1 is engaged. Inertia, brakes and all special features will be restored.

You may need several attempts at resetting, try both POM and Service Mode programming.

Poor decoder seating may give only partial reset.

If still no success, read and post here the values in CVs 29, 105, 106, 254 and 255.

Paul 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for that, I did take the decoder out and refit it incase that was the obvious issue, it seemed to go back in with a bit of a ‘click’ so I think it’s sitting right, also I could see the speaker wires weren’t loose once it was removed so I eliminated that as an issue early on (and of course it did make a sound)

I tried it on both track and 2 rolling roads, I ran beautifully at very slow speed on the rollers so I’d say contact is good, as I say I think it’s unrun, the wheels are certainly clean (to my eyes) 

You mention resetting Cv8 to 8, i have been using the programming track, I’ll try POM next too 

I’ll check those CVs when i get home and post them on here 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

I suspect these may be the result of poor track to decoder connection. 

With any Next18 equipped model, after dirty wheels, track, contacts have been sorted, check that the decoder is seated correctly. The interface is small and it's possible to have the decoder inserted but not fully home as some rocking is possible.

Looking from below you may be able to see if the decoder is parallel with the loco PCB.

The model and sound will operate for testing without the body fitted, so 'body off' is the best way to check.

If you successfully  reset CV8 = 8, all will be as delivered and sound will operate when F1 is engaged. Inertia, brakes and all special features will be restored.

You may need several attempts at resetting, try both POM and Service Mode programming.

Poor decoder seating may give only partial reset.

If still no success, read and post here the values in CVs 29, 105, 106, 254 and 255.

I am away this week try when I get back ham fisted so had a go at getting body off but I often do damage & its not moving !

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

I am away this week try when I get back ham fisted so had a go at getting body off but I often do damage & not moving !

The body removal is very simple, 2 screws and it’s off, not like some models where you only have to look at it and it explodes into a multitude of parts on the floor! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Right, cv8 reset bought back the correct settings, slow speed, brake button etc 

Still no sound apart from a single solitary ‘whoosh’ of steam!

CVs you asked me to check are as follows, I’ll put pics up incase the smaller numbers are important

E5E5D8C6-7043-46F6-9485-F2C0AC001FCC.jpeg.7624c46d2d04214043f97b49e404ae20.jpeg

D41D68F0-6D0B-462A-98CD-3F0C4A246A4A.jpeg.9d43391e2e2cb533db1f2d3ba7ce9203.jpeg

8C702187-C4F2-4255-A707-569C1C18F6A5.jpeg.4d54d2c2d85abbe5886ee5e52496cef0.jpeg

FE597D9C-35D6-4161-B277-7D3D111565ED.jpeg.4eb6c638cbda85f3ffa79e8ab5b00e95.jpeg

CV 8 reset gave me this on the programming track

3E76202F-5880-460C-9BE4-10920E22F1A4.jpeg.1627504d3917265cdbb8f5458ac96572.jpeg

Then after a run on the rollers gave me this 

DCC01B88-5D53-4976-B535-415FADD7592D.jpeg.974a15f0b6abcb8e0e94be1086f2a1ae.jpeg

The chip looks to be in correctly 

C7F2AC42-0535-4501-82D5-5890B765A5FA.jpeg.bfd9806d634975ddea19771cc67c47d7.jpeg

24F6DEC7-0477-4BCD-AAD8-5E4237F4C801.jpeg.11d55bcdf16428122374e80cf6348845.jpeg

I think at some point I pushed shunt mode (F20) and it lost/switched off its inertia and brake settings etc, which I think is the idea anyway but when I deactivated it to run normally it wouldn’t revert to normal mode, had to reset CV8 again, couldn’t replicate it again though 

hope those pics help to diagnose the issue 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Having followed this thread (and watched many you-tube videos) for months and months even though I don't really model much in '00' I've just ordered a basic Black version from Rails .... well OT on your birthday has to be spent wisely !

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/07/2023 at 21:31, big jim said:

Right, cv8 reset bought back the correct settings, slow speed, brake button etc 

Still no sound apart from a single solitary ‘whoosh’ of steam!

CVs you asked me to check are as follows, I’ll put pics up incase the smaller numbers are important

E5E5D8C6-7043-46F6-9485-F2C0AC001FCC.jpeg.7624c46d2d04214043f97b49e404ae20.jpeg

D41D68F0-6D0B-462A-98CD-3F0C4A246A4A.jpeg.9d43391e2e2cb533db1f2d3ba7ce9203.jpeg

8C702187-C4F2-4255-A707-569C1C18F6A5.jpeg.4d54d2c2d85abbe5886ee5e52496cef0.jpeg

FE597D9C-35D6-4161-B277-7D3D111565ED.jpeg.4eb6c638cbda85f3ffa79e8ab5b00e95.jpeg

CV 8 reset gave me this on the programming track

3E76202F-5880-460C-9BE4-10920E22F1A4.jpeg.1627504d3917265cdbb8f5458ac96572.jpeg

Then after a run on the rollers gave me this 

DCC01B88-5D53-4976-B535-415FADD7592D.jpeg.974a15f0b6abcb8e0e94be1086f2a1ae.jpeg

The chip looks to be in correctly 

C7F2AC42-0535-4501-82D5-5890B765A5FA.jpeg.bfd9806d634975ddea19771cc67c47d7.jpeg

24F6DEC7-0477-4BCD-AAD8-5E4237F4C801.jpeg.11d55bcdf16428122374e80cf6348845.jpeg

I think at some point I pushed shunt mode (F20) and it lost/switched off its inertia and brake settings etc, which I think is the idea anyway but when I deactivated it to run normally it wouldn’t revert to normal mode, had to reset CV8 again, couldn’t replicate it again though 

hope those pics help to diagnose the issue 

Have you emailed us about this problem? If so I'm sure Steve and I can resolve it either by replacement or repair. info@planetindustrials.co.uk to start the conversation! Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

Have you emailed us about this problem? If so I'm sure Steve and I can resolve it either by replacement or repair. info@planetindustrials.co.uk to start the conversation! Thanks.

I’ve not emailed you as I got the loco 2nd hand (but unused) so was hoping a bit of advice on here might sort it 

I’ll message a bit later anyway 

11 hours ago, James Hilton said:

That is called customer service!

11 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve not emailed you as I got the loco 2nd hand (but unused) so was hoping a bit of advice on here might sort it 

I’ll message a bit later anyway 

And rest assured, @big jim will get the same customer service from James and the team at Planet Industrials!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Had a play about, put the chip into my other planet but still no joy sounds wise 

managed to replicate the whoosh sound though, it seems if I take the loco off the track and push F19 it makes the sound, push it again and nothing, take it off the track, put it back on and press F19 and whoosh, it will do that whether F1 (sounds) is on or not! 

even tried the chip in a rapido hunslet (which I seem to remember have a speaker fitted as standard) but again no sounds 

@pauliebanger any more thoughts, I’ve been in contact with PI but thought I’d chase up here too 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jim, 

You're not going to be able to fix this without an MXULF, sorry.

Either this is not the PI supplied decoder or the decoder firmware/sound project is corrupted.

The CVs you show above 105, 106 and 255 are identifiers for the sound project and should be 23, 32 and 3 respectively.

Also, CV29 should be value 7 not 14. They should all default to these values on successful reset so something is not right.

I don't immediately recognise the whooshing sound demonstrated but it's definitely not the ejector sound which is on F19 in the project.

Provided there's no damage to the decoder it should be an easy fix if you have access to an MXULF. Otherwise it's back to base to get sorted. (Sending the decoder alone should be fine).

Best regards Paul 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply

whats an MXULF? 

as I say I bought the loco used and DCC fitted finding it sound chipped was certainly a bonus (if it’s salvageable) 

you didn’t mention CV106 last time but that’s 0 too 

the box for the loco has the following label if that helps identify it as being factory supplied, the paperwork inside certainly points to it being so as it has the PI A4 crib sheet 

image.jpg.219ac3c9f05e1dd8f8335f79b0761994.jpg

image.jpg.641679e5033e4a146a8b168fb22ffb62.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

That is certainly the box labelling and notes we supplied our DCCS locos with, obviously there is no way of telling what's happened to it between then and now although I am surprised the retailer wasn't able to better identify it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only assume it was tested in the shop and noted to be DCC fitted but as there was no sound and no specific label to say it’s sound fitted it was sold as such

I’ve just emailed about it btw 

I STILL don't have my Kerr Stuart (a maroon sound-fitted one at £215).

It arrived in a badly bashed box with air included in the packaging amplifying the blow it had received, and didn't run so it went back.  Two weeks later after an email to find out where it had got to it returned, in a different bashed box.  This one at least didn't have the imprint of a foot on it.

On the second attempt the loco was, if anything, worse than the first time.  The valve gear on one side falls apart after half a revolution- the fault it was sent back for the first time.  I sent pics back and was advised to remove the sound chip and install the blanking plug if I wished to test that the valve gear worked- not really on- the user should not be expected to dismantle a loco to check it- that is why we send them back.  It also appears the valve gear as designed isn't strong enough to withstand the sort of blow this one has received.

IMG_9513.JPG.3a1889b2cda47fbf26466d552cf1854c.JPGThe image shows what happens after one revolution immediately after the thing had been put together properly.

IMG_9512.JPG.6a903782766697f45016abd6a78bfb97.JPG

This image shows it as put back together.  One more revolution and we were back to photograph one.

Accordingly I sent it back again on 19th June, first class signed-for and correctly addressed.  This time for a refund.  Tracking shows it has not been delivered.  PI say no card was left, though I have no idea whether, having had the tracking number supplied by me, any attempt has been made to see if it is at their local sorting office.

If undelivered it should have been returned to me by yesterday.  It has not appeared.  Royal Mail want proof of contents and a statement of the value of the item, which I'm unable to supply.  As a result there will be no compensation.  They also say they will not compensate because the address is a PO box number and these often do not accept signed-for deliveries.

Moral- use REGISTERED mail, and ask for an address that is not a PO box if returning stuff.

Les

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Les1952 said:

If undelivered it should have been returned to me by yesterday.  It has not appeared.  Royal Mail want proof of contents and a statement of the value of the item, which I'm unable to supply.  As a result there will be no compensation.  They also say they will not compensate because the address is a PO box number and these often do not accept signed-for deliveries.

Leaving aside the PO box issue, normally a receipt detailing the item and value covers the proof of contents. This can be backed up by email evidence of an agreement to return an item. If you do not have a receipt, are you able to request another?

I see nothing on the Ts&Cs about PO boxes and I would suggest that if the Post Office did not advise you of this upon posting you have a right to complain. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I STILL don't have my Kerr Stuart (a maroon sound-fitted one at £215).

Hi Les,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the postal service. As discussed in our previous correspondence, at the time we checked the tracking code you supplied it showed the parcel to still be at the origin and you were looking into this locally. 

I've checked the code again this morning and - after an inexplicable delay of a month - it was shown to be "delivery attempted" on Thursday and then "delivered" yesterday so someone must have found it! I haven't been in the workshop for a couple of days but I will try and pop down there over the weekend and verify we have it.

Regarding the the loco itself, the loose slide bar is one of the more common issues we've experienced with the Victory. This is usually easily rectified, I have to say this is the first time I've seen one that won't "stay fixed" but it's possible that repeated manipulation of the motion bracket has weakened it and reduced its ability to retain the slide bar.

To diagnose suspected mechanical faults running on DC will always give you the best picture - especially with a sound project like the Victory which is designed for realistic operation and does not offer on/off behaviour like good old 12v - but this advice would hold for any locomotive.

All DCC Sound Victory (including repairs) were tested and run to our satisfaction prior to dispatch and it's unfortunate that the postal service has not taken good care to get yours to you.

As I said I will check we have the return in hand and get back to you by email.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to see and hear of your issues, Les. To be honest, First class signed for is not sufficient. No criticism intended here but in respect of such a high value item, special delivery is, albeit an expensive option, the most appropriate, and it comes with insurance which would have more than covered this item in the event of loss or damage.

Despite being a regular parcel posting customer at my local post office, I'm always asked what the parcel contains and the value. I'm then given the options, including the estimated day of delivery and the insurance cover of the respective tariffs. 

The choice then rests with me and to be fair, between us, we've not lost one yet.

Rob. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

@pauliebanger my local model shop has an MXULF, im going to pop up there in a bit and se if he can get any life out of the chip on that, on the off chance if you see this before I get there is there anything in particular I can do or need to check that may help identify or even fix the problem? 

• RMweb Gold

Took to trident trains, Richard put in on his test track, changed the address from 3 to 1 and back to 3 and worked perfectly!

will have to see if it works on my track when I get home but no reason it shouldn’t

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, big jim said:

Took to trident trains, Richard put in on his test track, changed the address from 3 to 1 and back to 3 and worked perfectly!

will have to see if it works on my track when I get home but no reason it shouldn’t

Fingers crossed fella! Been following the trials and tribulations of your loco with interest! 

Nathan...