RMweb

Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

The first two locomotives cabs were 4" taller, and this appears above door openings and cab windows from what I can tell. So in 4mm/ft we're talking 1.33mm, which isn't a lot but I think would be noticeable. In our tooling the cab sides, tanks bunker and roof are one moulding. This makes modification difficult (but not impossible).

For a mere 1.33mm difference I'll happily live with the current cab. It's still going to become a "what if" SR 948 👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Really in several minds where to go with mine. Do I, mindful of those Accurascale Panniers linked to Newport Pill, recreate 666 and subsequently produce a goods only layout based in the Newport area...( as a Cardiffian that is tricky to contemplate....not as bad as modelling somewhere in Swansea though....) or.....do I leave well alone.......or......do I..........

Hell fire!!

I feel your pain Rob, I already have a Black one but the thought of having a loco with 'the number of the beast' on it is feeling irresistable ... but what do I do with it ?? ?.... Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 03060 said:

I feel your pain Rob, I already have a Black one but the thought of having a loco with 'the number of the beast' on it is feeling irresistable ... but what do I do with it ?? ?.... Hmmm.

To answer my own dilemma ... I bought now ... will worry about it later !! LoL

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The green is close enough to the Port of Bristol Authority green from the steam era I could almost pretend they had to bring one in to supplement the Pecketts and Avonsides... right? Anyone want to talk me into it, or talk me back down off the ledge?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

OMG!

Who put the advert for a glorious GNR livery LNER J52 0-6-0 tank locomotive at the foot of the page?!

I’d convinced myself I didn’t want one and definitely didn’t need one …

But I’ve fallen off the wagon (no pun intended) and just like all pervasive gambling adverts tempt gambling addicts to have just one more bet…

🫣

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

The green is close enough to the Port of Bristol Authority green from the steam era I could almost pretend they had to bring one in to supplement the Pecketts and Avonsides... right? Anyone want to talk me into it, or talk me back down off the ledge?

Well we do have some PBA wagon markings to go with it...

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pic-013

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Port of Bristol Authority

I believe they had one on trial, having heard good things from the EKLR. 😉

Turdycurses … that’s just convincing myself to justify another green one…

I need to go cold turkey and turn my phone off now!!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, James Hilton said:

... The first two locomotives cabs were 4" taller, and this appears above door openings and cab windows from what I can tell. So in 4mm/ft we're talking 1.33mm, which isn't a lot but I think would be noticeable. In our tooling the cab sides, tanks bunker and roof are one moulding. This makes modification difficult (but not impossible). ...

I've now found a decent picture of the rear of EKR No.4 and I have a feeling the circular windows ( rear AND front ) are slightly higher than on the 'other eight' ( maybe 2'' ). Between the rear windows are a pair of rectangular windows - were they original to both tall locos or an EKR mod ? The roof profile appears to be a simple arc as on the other locos and not as shown in the Railway Mudeller drawing !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Is another run of Victories in the future likely, or is this it?

Never say never, but it's not currently planned.

We did talk about it as an option to get more value out of the tooling, especially had the first run sold through more quickly. While there seems to be a healthy demand for industrial locos it will never be as large as for the mainline stuff, the other factor in the equation is our visibility as a business among the hobby so it's hard to judge if everyone who wants a Victory already has one (or 9) or if there's an untapped market that hasn't heard of PI. 

Anyway all that is to say is that our next move is more likely to be something else.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Random question but did the call for retailers on FB lead to some retailers of PI? Only asking as if there were would it be possible to get a list at some point of retailers?

In regards to Victory, I will say it is somewhat more difficult to justify multiple of it in a way it isn't for say 16" Bagnalls, or 14" 0-6-0ST Barclays, or other larger classes...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

In regards to Victory, I will say it is somewhat more difficult to justify multiple of it in a way it isn't for say 16" Bagnalls, or 14" 0-6-0ST Barclays, or other larger classes...

I feel the same. The Victory is a great model and I have two of them, for two different layouts, but the sheer size of it makes it difficult to justify for my micro layouts. It's not the sort of thing that you would find employed by something such as a small engineering firm, with just a couple of sidings to shunt a handful of wagons. On the other hand, something small, such as an 0-4-0ST is very easy to justify and I suppose that's why I have 7 of Hattons' Barclays and 14 of Hornby's W4 Pecketts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Well I  really don't  need one, but a lined green one is on the way!

Once Bishopscombe  2 is ready it can potter about in the quarry for a while.

I did try and resist before, but the price finally made any attempt futile!

Maybe the O1 announcement also influenced the decision........

Les

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

Never say never, but it's not currently planned.

We did talk about it as an option to get more value out of the tooling, especially had the first run sold through more quickly. While there seems to be a healthy demand for industrial locos it will never be as large as for the mainline stuff, the other factor in the equation is our visibility as a business among the hobby so it's hard to judge if everyone who wants a Victory already has one (or 9) or if there's an untapped market that hasn't heard of PI. 

Anyway all that is to say is that our next move is more likely to be something else.

I think you've made a sound assessment of the likely outcome. 

But give it a few years and the market situation will be different; don't lose the tooling!

I don't think anybody's done a RTR fireless loco yet; there's a number of industrial senarios that would fit.

• Like 3

My name is Steve and I am a shunting locomotive addict. It has been merely 1 day since I bought a model.

But when it seems there will not be another run of these for maybe a very long time, the urge to grab a couple more for future projects grows very strong indeed!

I now have two black versions (once my second one arrives), one of which will be finished in a quasi BR livery (and will appear on Blackford Wharf and Burnstow Dock as a BR owned shunter) whereas the other is planned to be repainted into PLA lined blue as a “might have been” (to go with my Janus and W4 locos) and also to appear on Burnstow Dock.

But another green one to turn into a Port of Bristol version (as mentioned above by @Nova Scotian), or perhaps into a GWR version using the new etches? That could might be justified, perhaps? Maybe?

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't think anybody's done a RTR fireless loco yet; there's a number of industrial senarios that would fit.

I would love to do a fireless loco but I'd worry the market for it would be very small. Happy to be proven wrong!

• Like 1