Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2023 at 06:28, Barry O said:

The "austerities" were very powerful for their size. The 16" not quite as powerful but could shift a load. 

Bas

I believe BR classified the 18" as 5F, which would probably make the 16" a 3F

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Those of you who follow the ongoing saga of Cwmdimbath (South Wales Valleys in the 1950s on Layout Topics) will know that I succumbed to seductive charms of Thorne No.1 from RoS yesterday, so I have joined this illustrious club and have trawled through the topic for information, very enlightening!  I will inform of progress and any issues to be sorted as they occur.  I am already thinking of renaming the loco, but the livery is fine as it is for my purposes. 

I don't have a roller or test track, so my routine with brand new locos is to run upside down for 30 minutes in each direction, starting off at a medium speed and getting slower, then on the layout for proper slow-running testing.  The problem is that locos behave differently on the track, as curvature moves wheels within the range of their sideplay, and I have been considering a no.2 setrack figure 8 to give the loco a workout on curves in both directions,  Cwmdimbath is DC btw.  I normally remove the coloured grease lube with extreme prejudice because it attracts crud and solidifies over time, becoming a stifficant rather than a lubricant, replacing it with non-mineral light oil applied sparingly with a hypo syringe, but I am a bit nervous of opening this one up because of the way the motor and gears are apparently integrated with the main part of the bodyshell. 

If all is well I'll leave well alone, but if not I will have a look at the keeper plate and crankpins as per Rob's advice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I have been considering a no.2 setrack figure 8 to give the loco a workout on curves in both directions,  

I use an oval of Kato Unitrak to run in which is better lasting  for dismantling etc over time. Run in 1/4 of the time in one direction, reversed for another 1/4, then turn round and repeat.

• RMweb Gold

Just been pricing up ovals of setrack, since the subject came up, and I could probably do with one.  I have to keep an eye on the money (and the few weeks after I've bought two locos in two successive days are when I especially have to keep an eye on the money; The Squeeze supports my hobby but any more for a while would be asking for trouble, and I need to allow recovery time for Mr. Wallet, who is in deep shock...).  Kato is lovely stuff, but too expensive for me, and even with cheaper setrack my figure 8 idea racks up the beer vouchers a bit.  Found a Hornby R2 oval on the Bay for under £30 including the postage; that's a bit more do-able, but not just now!

eBay is not as helpful as I thought it was going to be (really, no sh*t, and you're surprised by that, are you, Johnster); there are a lot of cheap bundles of manky R1, and R1 is of very little use to me even in good nick.  I'm not 100% sure that R2 will be the best choice, either; I think all the RTR locos I'm ever likely to need will manage it, but a test track wlll have to work for it's living, and be used to test run kit and 2h rolling stock for running, including ballasting and propelling with an eye to buffer lock or coupling jams.  And the other loco purchase this week is a 2h 56xx with a kit (Comet I think, possibly Perseverance) chassis, which probably won't look at R4, never mind R2, so such a test track will be of little use with this loco!  The layout minimum is 2' radius Peco; all running line turnouts are 30" except the loco release xover and some colliery roads over which BR locomotives are banned, but the new 16" will have to cope with, not that I'm expecting trouble.  I work to the principle that if my Hornby 42xx will propel a Hornby LNER long CCT through a turnout on test, everything else will fly through (bad choice of words, in reality I prefer my wheels to remain in contact with the railheads and not to become airborne unless I lift them off the track)!

Chum of mine years ago made a rolling road with cotton reels chucked away by his mum, with Meccano supports, originally for testing Scalextric cars but it worked for his locos as well.  Take the body off, attach wires to the motor terminals, set the chassis on top, adjusting for wheel spacing, crank your knob (oo er missis), an' spin dem bobbins, dude!  I might resurrect his idea; Swindon's 'Home Trainer' or Rugby Testing Station it wasn't, but work it did, and Rugby's data was pretty flawed in the event as it turned out, whereas Martin's DLMAD, his dynamic mechanical load assessment device (rubber band attached one end to nail other end to  coupling hook) was at least useful for comparing tractive effort...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Just been pricing up ovals of setrack, since the subject came up, and I could probably do with one.  I have to keep an eye on the money (and the few weeks after I've bought two locos in two successive days are when I especially have to keep an eye on the money; The Squeeze supports my hobby but any more for a while would be asking for trouble, and I need to allow recovery time for Mr. Wallet, who is in deep shock...).  Kato is lovely stuff, but too expensive for me, and even with cheaper setrack my figure 8 idea racks up the beer vouchers a bit.  Found a Hornby R2 oval on the Bay for under £30 including the postage; that's a bit more do-able, but not just now!

eBay is not as helpful as I thought it was going to be (really, no sh*t, and you're surprised by that, are you, Johnster); there are a lot of cheap bundles of manky R1, and R1 is of very little use to me even in good nick.  I'm not 100% sure that R2 will be the best choice, either; I think all the RTR locos I'm ever likely to need will manage it, but a test track wlll have to work for it's living, and be used to test run kit and 2h rolling stock for running, including ballasting and propelling with an eye to buffer lock or coupling jams.  And the other loco purchase this week is a 2h 56xx with a kit (Comet I think, possibly Perseverance) chassis, which probably won't look at R4, never mind R2, so such a test track will be of little use with this loco!  The layout minimum is 2' radius Peco; all running line turnouts are 30" except the loco release xover and some colliery roads over which BR locomotives are banned, but the new 16" will have to cope with, not that I'm expecting trouble.  I work to the principle that if my Hornby 42xx will propel a Hornby LNER long CCT through a turnout on test, everything else will fly through (bad choice of words, in reality I prefer my wheels to remain in contact with the railheads and not to become airborne unless I lift them off the track)!

Chum of mine years ago made a rolling road with cotton reels chucked away by his mum, with Meccano supports, originally for testing Scalextric cars but it worked for his locos as well.  Take the body off, attach wires to the motor terminals, set the chassis on top, adjusting for wheel spacing, crank your knob (oo er missis), an' spin dem bobbins, dude!  I might resurrect his idea; Swindon's 'Home Trainer' or Rugby Testing Station it wasn't, but work it did, and Rugby's data was pretty flawed in the event as it turned out, whereas Martin's DLMAD, his dynamic mechanical load assessment device (rubber band attached one end to nail other end to  coupling hook) was at least useful for comparing tractive effort...

Morning Jonners, 

PM sent re L&B. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

Hunslet (& SR 8-plank open) arrived this evening,  Unpacked, checked over, given a brief run up and down the branch, but I'm not doing any more until it is run in properly, for which Rob will be pleased to know I now have a circle of R607s from L&B, which will serve this purpose on the morrow. 

I'm impressed.  There's a good feel of quality to it, and a decent heft, and it is running silently and very smoothly straight from the box.  I'm liking your work, Rapido, especially the motion detail between the frames and the DC firebox glow, which flickers and is a much better colour than the feeble DC red of my Bachmann 94xx, which did nothing for the experience except suggest that too much small coal had been put on and the box was clinkered up; I disconnected it.  This one can stay where it is!   My first split chassis since the Mainline days, but it seems to be working very well and I have every reason to believe that Mainline's design and material issues have been successfully avoided with this model.  Very minor issues; chimney fell off so I glued it back on.  Will glue cab roof once cab detailing (what cab detailing, I've never seen a better detailed cab on an RTR model, well, I want the handbrake handle and the reversing lever to be painted red; I am of the persuation that a red reversing rod should have a red lever...

Been out all day chasing it up with Royal Mail and getting some scenic stuff from Lord & Butler's, and am only now just having dinner, so I won't be doing much more with or to it tonight.  Next job can be done from the sofa after my Tesco chicken pie'n'chips; ordering crew & lamps from Modelu!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Good evening all

I got Thorne no.1 on pre-order as I live 10 mins from where it worked - generally really love the model, had a bit of an issue with one crank pin/coupling rod being a little loose, and it did seem to take a good old while to properly run in but managed to haul 32 private owners on the level, which everyone in the family was impressed with!

Looking forward to the J52, I'm imaging it might be a touch better than my 1986 version :)

• RMweb Gold

My Thorne no.1 has given no problems running in, and was a smooth and reliable runner straight out of the box; I am expecting it to improve still further over time as she beds in.  It is now in service and nailing Cwmdimbath Deep Navigation No.2's top yard pilot job.  It is a crackin' little engine.  Minor worries, easily fixed, the chimney and the black pipe from the lh side of the dome (topfeed pipe?) have both come off and had to be superglued back on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

To follow up, Thorne No.1 is bedding in very nicely, and is proving to be the best performer of my colliery locos.  Lovely, but I'm thinking about a new name for the engine, and proper brass nameplates, as well as a decent works plate.

On 11/12/2023 at 17:09, shauniboy1984 said:

but managed to haul 32 private owners on the level, which everyone in the family was impressed with!

I have to say I'd be impressed at any 00 loco that could haul 32 private owners, especially as some of them were known to be 'fat cats', but mine only has to pull models of their wagons...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised we've had no updates on the batch 2 Hunslets since they were announced, aside from tweaking the livery of the wasp-stripe one. Last i heard, the liveries were the sticking point so maybe they're just taking longer than expected?

As an aside, anyone know why they've gone for the plain, 1970s Primrose rather than the fully lined-out 1990s version which I think is a little more iconic for that loco?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, alexl102 said:

I'm surprised we've had no updates on the batch 2 Hunslets since they were announced, aside from tweaking the livery of the wasp-stripe one. Last i heard, the liveries were the sticking point so maybe they're just taking longer than expected?

As an aside, anyone know why they've gone for the plain, 1970s Primrose rather than the fully lined-out 1990s version which I think is a little more iconic for that loco?

Remember we work on a pre-order model, production hasn't started yet and won't do so until the order book closes. 
IIRC we were cautious about having too many preservation liveries and the red was different to others we had sold before, the lined livery being quite close to 'Beatrice' from Run 1.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorely tempted to buy Holly Bank. Two issues:

1. I'd want to remove NCB, to one day re-decal with my make-believe PBA. How easy is this without damaging paintwork?

2. To make my life easy, I order in the UK, deliver to UK family, pick up there. It can be months between ordering and getting it back to Canada. So - what are the odds that it'll run well out of the box (more or less) and not degrade? 90%, 95%? 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

what are the odds that it'll run well out of the box (more or less) and not degrade? 90%, 95%? 

Go back through the thread to the release date which I think was late January of 2023?, there don’t appear to have been many issues, I got two and neither had any issue. 

edit: see from page 10

Edited by PaulRhB

On 01/03/2024 at 00:42, Nova Scotian said:

Sorely tempted to buy Holly Bank. Two issues:

1. I'd want to remove NCB, to one day re-decal with my make-believe PBA. How easy is this without damaging paintwork?

2. To make my life easy, I order in the UK, deliver to UK family, pick up there. It can be months between ordering and getting it back to Canada. So - what are the odds that it'll run well out of the box (more or less) and not degrade? 90%, 95%? 

Mine was hopeless out of the box. The cause seemed to be that it was choked with grease (which should at least help preserve it for a few months). Once cleaned up and sparingly oiled, it was fine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remove the grease and re-lube as a matter of course on any loco that comes into my possession; it only attracts crud and will eventually solidify if you don’t.  My Hunslet 16” ran very smoothly out of the box, and now re-lubed and run in is a superb performer (on DC), a credit to Rapido. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine is a super runner but has developed a bit of a squeak!

There's plenty of grease on the axles, and the drivetrain (from what I can see under the keeper plate), so I don't really know where it's coming from. Before I just start poking oil all over everything that moves does anyone know of any likely culprits?

• 1 month later...

Was doing some research and came across this picture from Ebbw Vale Steelworks of a 16" Hunslet, allegedly works number 2082. (Photo is from the Ebbw Vale Works Museum Facebook Page).

122562654_4042648122418585_9117036332300732568_n.jpg.761aa9b7369a898f1aad02b67cc47d36.jpg

• Like 5

On 02/03/2024 at 21:05, Phil Himsworth said:

Mine is a super runner but has developed a bit of a squeak!

There's plenty of grease on the axles, and the drivetrain (from what I can see under the keeper plate), so I don't really know where it's coming from. Before I just start poking oil all over everything that moves does anyone know of any likely culprits?

Have a word with the guys at Rapdio, they are helpful!

On 03/04/2024 at 10:05, BVMR21 said:

Was doing some research and came across this picture from Ebbw Vale Steelworks of a 16" Hunslet, allegedly works number 2082. (Photo is from the Ebbw Vale Works Museum Facebook Page).

122562654_4042648122418585_9117036332300732568_n.jpg.761aa9b7369a898f1aad02b67cc47d36.jpg

Interesting piccie.  Large buffers