Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

Quick question has anyone figured out a way of fitting a stay alive to the sound fitted ones.

I have 2  Hunslet's now, one factory fitted and one I fitted with a sound chip from Digitrains 

I managed to fit a stay alive in the one I fitted sound to no problem.

They both run really great but the factory fitted one would definitely benefit with a stay alive.

As mentioned there is no solder pads on the Next18 chip but is it possible to fit a stay alive to the wires from the pick ups before the pcb board .

Regards Baz

22 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Quick question has anyone figured out a way of fitting a stay alive to the sound fitted ones.

I have 2  Hunslet's now, one factory fitted and one I fitted with a sound chip from Digitrains 

I managed to fit a stay alive in the one I fitted sound to no problem.

They both run really great but the factory fitted one would definitely benefit with a stay alive.

As mentioned there is no solder pads on the Next18 chip but is it possible to fit a stay alive to the wires from the pick ups before the pcb board .

Regards Baz

I think someone fitted a stayalive on Instagram would have to find it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazil31 said:

is it possible to fit a stay alive to the wires from the pick ups before the pcb board .

No. I would suggest that if that's how you think a SA should be wired then it's best you don't attempt it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Factory sound ones are LokSound decoders so just solder the stay alive to the pads on the decoder.....

Loksounds are one of the few next18 decoders with solder pads for stay alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2023 at 14:37, meatloaf said:

Is there enough room for a Hornby fat next 18 txs decoder to fit?

Sam's trains tried to fit one.  The decoder was too long for every OO model he tried it in except one- the Hunslet, where it the space was long enough, but the decoder was too wide.

Les

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Are the chimneys glued in or just a push fit? 

I'm currently waiting for Beatrice to arrive. 

I wouldn't mind being able to get hold of a standard chimney in the future to allow me to swap chimneys and portray different eras of the locomotives life. Without the expense of 2 locomotives! 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 18:55, Ruston said:

No. I would suggest that if that's how you think a SA should be wired then it's best you don't attempt it.

@bazil31 I'd suggest there's nothing to stop you learning why that's not a good idea, then attempting it in a way that doesn't risk damaging your decoder/SA. Unless that was just an April Fool, of course...

• 1 month later...

Rails of Sheffield are having a flash sale on batch #1 Hunslets…

Hopefully anybody wanting one (or another one, for that matter) will hoover these up before my cheque book falls foul of my addiction to small, characterful locos!! 

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected an autocorrect mistake!!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aaaaaaarghhhh!!!

Enough said. 😬

Actually, clarity is needed!

Some may think my outburst is because I succumbed and have bought another loco…

I haven’t!! (Phew!)

It was seeing that the one that I needed wanted to buy appears to no longer be in stock! (Phew! But, also, Aaaaaaarghhhh!!!)

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Clarity

Bother (or words to that effect)…

Turns out that RAILS do have the one I needed wanted in stock still - I misread the webpage!

Then they messaged me with a 5% off code for today (SUB5 at checkout) …

And it WORKS even with the reduced price of the loco!

So, no guesses what’s happened…

🤭

Note to self : No more!!!

• Funny 1

Picked up a Holly Bank in the Rails sale. Ran it for half an hour going forwards around the layout and it was great. Sent it backwards and it seems to derail on a third radius curve. Doesn't seem to be a track issue, as everything else runs fine and it only seems to be on one specific curve going backwards, which is strange.

My loco also derails - backwards and forwards - when negotiating points in quick succession. Does anyone else's locos have these problems? If it helps, I have Hornby track.

Edited by IamDaniel

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, IamDaniel said:

Picked up a Holly Bank in the Rails sale. Ran it for half an hour going forwards around the layout and it was great. Sent it backwards and it seems to derail on a third radius curve. Doesn't seem to be a track issue, as everything else runs fine and it only seems to be on one specific curve going backwards, which is strange.

My loco also derails - backwards and forwards - when negotiating points in quick succession. Does anyone else's locos have these problems? If it helps, I have Hornby track.

Hello Daniel

Do you have a back-to-back gauge? Could you check what the b-t-bs on the wheels are?

44 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Hello Daniel

Do you have a back-to-back gauge? Could you check what the b-t-bs on the wheels are?

Thanks for the speedy response. I don't have a back-to-back gauge I'm afraid.

However, if this helps, from the inside of the flange to the inside of the flange it measures approx 15mm.

Thanks,

Daniel.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, IamDaniel said:

Thanks for the speedy response. I don't have a back-to-back gauge I'm afraid.

However, if this helps, from the inside of the flange to the inside of the flange it measures approx 15mm.

Thanks,

Daniel.

It could possibly be that the axleboxes are tight in the hornguides as described up-thread (not allowing enough up/down movement). If you don't feel confident in fettling it you can contact the warranty dept. with your issue:
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It could possibly be that the axleboxes are tight in the hornguides as described up-thread (not allowing enough up/down movement). If you don't feel confident in fettling it you can contact the warranty dept. with your issue:
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

Thanks so much for your help, Corbs - I have filled in the form. Really appreciate your speedy responses on here.

I bought Holly Bank in the Rails sale, and it's great except the back to back of the rear axle is just a tad too wide so when reversing over points it jumps on the frog. Anybody know the best way to reduce it? I've tried pushing with my fingers but it's solid. Runs a little noisy too, but I expect that will quieten down with running in. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2023 at 21:05, Phil Himsworth said:

I don't need another, I'm fine with the one I've got.

I don't need another. Well, I don't need another, but...

Hunslets are like beer. A boy can't have just the one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to fit my plates to No.3507, now named Overlord, this evening down the club. Need to touch up the left hand name plate as the paint came away on it... 20230727_192132.jpg.efa391b782c7eee27017161babd30d11.jpg

Also need to clean up the areas where the plates slipped down while I was affixing them! Nothing too strenuous though!

Nathan...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mark Laidlay said:

Is anyone having trouble with these locos shorting continually on plain track.  Ross has two and they both do the same thing straight out of the box on DCC.

Check under the saddle tank moulding for the wires going over the chassis block to the firebox flicker, mine initially shorted on rollers while running in. I tracked it down to these thin resin coated wires, a little square patch of electrical tape on the chassis block to stop the wires rubbing fixed the shorting issue I was having.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...