Hornby 2021 - Maunsell dining saloon thirds and composites

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Brian that is just what I needed. 

4 weeks and just trying to shake of the Chesty, coughy fatigue riddenremains. 

Taje Care

Phil 

I had an email receipt from our friends West of the Tamar on Saturday for my pre-ordered R40031 and R40031A, plus the c/c Kitchen First and a green TO, so I am expecting their delivery imminently. I don't think Hornby has (yet) announced the composite diner in c/c.

Hope you are back firing on all cylinders soon.

John

Greetings from Seaton Junction in 1991 (when you could see rather more of it).

E.1412er.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I had an email receipt from our friends West of the Tamar on Saturday for my pre-ordered R40031 and R40031A, plus the c/c Kitchen First and a green TO, so I am expecting their delivery imminently. I don't think Hornby has (yet) announced the composite diner in c/c.

Hope you are back firing on all cylinders soon.

John

Greetings from Seaton Junction in 1991 (when you could see rather more of it).

E.1412er.jpg

Thanks matey. That pic will assist another who is doing N gauge SJ Circa mid 80s with a little Imagination trown in!

I've orederd a 40031 from Colletts. Good to hera yours is imminent.

P

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2022 at 17:16, Paul.Uni said:

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-

On 13/04/2022 at 17:16, Paul.Uni said:

That's why my search for it came up empty. I used the word composite! 

However, the green ones appear to be imminent whereas that still looks to be a while off.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I think I'm going to be the only one welcoming the carriage unlined, I run a fictitious Brighton - Portsmouth dining service consisting of the Dunkirk set with a restaurant 1st and open third in the front with a van B, and it's actually the lined open third that sticks out 😛 although sometimes I stick extra lined composite carriages on if I decide its an extra busy service 😛

Inspired by H2s actually operating Brington-Portsmouth albeit with different stock 

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/LBSCR-tender-locomotives/LBSCR-H2/i-FwgN3g6

Edit: Easter Holidays service! 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

My BR(SR) version arrived (well packaged) by courier from Hornby this morning. I still get brain ache when trying to read the various accounts about the pairings with other coaches and the different rebuilds and what years and routes they were correct for … but it is a Thing of Beauty, even at about sixty quid, and will look very nice next to the RF I bought a couple of years back, so what the heck …

I've just noticed this version on Hornby's website that I hadn't noticed before, the description says operated by BR but it looks like Southern malachite unless it's meant to be transitional? 

https://www.railwaymodelstore.co.uk/Hornby-oo-gauge-sr-maunsell-dining-saloon-third-7844-r40221/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cw53g36AUavQxNsK2-3GUGtIPYX-17-ZNwVgdQJ2QEAgKcIiXXJ3X8aAmJ-EALw_wcB

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I've just noticed this version on Hornby's website that I hadn't noticed before, the description says operated by BR but it looks like Southern malachite unless it's meant to be transitional? 

https://www.railwaymodelstore.co.uk/Hornby-oo-gauge-sr-maunsell-dining-saloon-third-7844-r40221/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cw53g36AUavQxNsK2-3GUGtIPYX-17-ZNwVgdQJ2QEAgKcIiXXJ3X8aAmJ-EALw_wcB

7844 was in this livery between 18th November 1947 and mid 1949. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I picked up my BR(S) composite dining saloon today from Paul at Alton Model Centre and I am very impressed. Something which I was not expecting to find was a pack of magnetic couplers in addition to the Hornby version of the Roco style connectors. Is this a first for Hornby?

I haven't had the opportunity to try them, they fit into the normal NEM pocket.

best wishes

Godfrey

• Informative/Useful 1

I have just seen photos of these 3rd Class Dining Saloons/Open 3rds on the Hattons website and have to say I am very disappointed. The glazing: main window, ventilator glass and the bodywork 'bar' between them, are noticeably recessed into the body and look nothing like the prototype unless viewed from side-on.

Curious as Hornby got this feature right with the glazing on the 1st Class Dining Saloons/Restaurant Cars themselves.

... and now I have noticed the oversized seams on the lower bodyside I definitely won't bother, there were only six of the things after all.

If you look at photos of the prototype, there is a prominent horizontal seam between each of the main windows, there are seams at the top of the windows and on the bodyside but these are so subtle as to be almost invisible. It seems(!) Hornby have made all these seams the same size and consequently spoiled the appearance.

Now if that nice Mr Muz were to have a word in Simon's ear! 

Glenn

Edited by mattingleycustom
Photo evidence revealed more detail

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That's a brave statement knowing the whims of the various Works and Yard CWFs. :)

P

Brave perhaps, but correct nethertheless...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This arrived today =) hopefully get a chance to add it to the train over the weekend. 

Should I be having the dining facilities shunted into the middle of a set, or tacked on the end or front? I'm sure I read something that suggested it was usual for them to be shunted between sets for the bulk of the journey before sets were split off to their various end destinations. 

Edit: answered my own question and found my source https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/190/KRMC-Skrifa---Catering-for-Southern-travellers-by-Hornby

20220428_123059.jpg.46eabdc86e83f25f8f5cbdc1e92f9a88.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Forgot to add photo
  • Like 6

Got the chance to give it a spin in a train today =) 

It's the first half of 1939, Hitler has not yet invaded Poland, The Southern Railway is still offering fine dining on its long services and the relatively new CME has started phasing out olive carriages in favour of malachite.

20220430_164013.jpg.a69304929398c6a410cea1164138a1d6.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I see Hornby are providing a 'Hunt' style magnetic coupling with these couples which I see as a progressive step for having closer coupling and a representation of vacuum pipework in operation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I see Hornby are providing a 'Hunt' style magnetic coupling with these couples which I see as a progressive step for having closer coupling and a representation of vacuum pipework in operation.

Agreed Rob, however a load of yappers elsewhere have been moaning and groaning about them. Just can't please them seemingly. I think they are a great idea having used Hunts on other stuff.

P

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Muz,

I see your review picks up the much the same criticisms as I did: see my post of April 27th.

It's such a shame as the rest of Hornby's Maunsell stock is of excellent quality.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

As a purchaser of the BR versions I'm only affected by the window bar issue. That aside, they should "fit in".

The magnetic couplings are also included with my Crimson/cream kitchen car and the latest issue of the BR green TO/SO. I therefore have four pairs to evaluate their efficacy. 

They look quite promising and I'll be using one set between a kitchen car and its dining open and two to equip a Bulleid 59' 3-set.

Can any established users of this type of coupler give me an idea as to

[1] How long a formation can be run using them before the weight causes the pair nearest the front of the train to part?

[2] if they have any tendency to weaken over time.

[3] If there is any device available that allows them to be uncoupled remotely?

Many thanks

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

As a purchaser of the BR versions I'm only affected by the window bar issue. That aside, they should "fit in".

The magnetic couplings are also included with my Crimson/cream kitchen car and the latest issue of the BR green TO/SO. I therefore have four pairs to evaluate their efficacy. 

They look quite promising and I'll be using one set between a kitchen car and its dining open and two to equip a Bulleid 59' 3-set.

Can any established users of this type of coupler give me an idea as to

[1] How long a formation can be run using them before the weight causes the pair nearest the front of the train to part?

[2] if they have any tendency to weaken over time.

[3] If there is any device available that allows them to be uncoupled remotely?

Many thanks

John  

I would be interested to know how good the close coupling is.

Its already established that Hornby's 'Roco clone' couplers still leave a noticeably large gap between the corridor connections - but equally you cannot use two genuine roco couplers on things like the Collett stock as they are too short.

If the new magnetic couplers are the same length as Hornby's 'Roco cloned' ones then the magnetic ones might be less useful than it appears and could actually be quite limiting if they don't couple to anything else (The 'Roco clone' from Hornby will actually couple to the genuine Roco article and such an approach can be useful when trying to get optimum close coupling).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I would be interested to know how good the close coupling is.

Its already established that Hornby's 'Roco clone' couplers still leave a noticeably large gap between the corridor connections - but equally you cannot use two genuine roco couplers on things like the Collett stock as they are too short.

If the new magnetic couplers are the same length as Hornby's 'Roco cloned' ones then the magnetic ones might be less useful than it appears and could actually be quite limiting if they don't couple to anything else (The 'Roco clone' from Hornby will actually couple to the genuine Roco article and such an approach can be useful when trying to get optimum close coupling).

They are the same length as a pair of "proper" Rocos, i.e. shorter than the Hornby take on the Roco design which is longer.

First thing I checked!

I think the magnetic couplers already on the market come in a choice of lengths.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1