The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

3 minutes ago, EddieB said:

All we need now is a wet race...

What we (and F1) really need now, is for the drivers to refuse to race on that circuit,

it's obvious that Liberty are only interested in the money, not driver safety.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

What we (and F1) really need now, is for the drivers to refuse to race on that circuit,

it's obvious that Liberty are only interested in the money, not driver safety.

No chance whatever of a drivers' strike. They are all shackled with Golden Handcuff contracts devised by the planet's best paid lawyers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gismorail said:

I would agree with Perez fears regarding the track and the real possibility of some serious accidents due to the nature of the blind corners . What amazes me is the fact we know that the track has only just been finished and straight away it is hosting a major Grandprix so where has the proving of the safety case for the suitability of the track been done. I get the feeling that money is being put before the safeguarding of drivers lives in this current situation. 
We all enjoy an exciting race but not at the cost of serious injuries to drivers 

Is it any worse than, say Monaco (OK lower speeds there) or Montreal?

I'm not trying to defend the Jeddah circuit, just get an impression of how it compares with others.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

Probably not, and there is, in theory  places to overtake which is more than Monaco has. But the points being made is that we don't need or want these sorts if circuits if we want proper racing, follow my leader isn't Formula 1, or ant other type of motor sport.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

What worried me initially was the lack of run off. It seems the barriers may save a driver in a single excursion impact after the practice incidents though.

What worries me more now is somebody losing it and getting collected by the following car(s) not being able to slow up in time. It happens on the ovals and they have comparably better sight lines and spotters that can see the whole track.

Sitting down to watch quali on channel 4 last night I genuinely felt relief as the titles started as it meant nothing really horrible had happened. It's going to be a long wait until 10:30 tonight. I accept feeling like that for the TT but that is a one off event not part of a championship.

I don't think a circuit like this should be part of a championship otherwise current F1 could run at Macaco or the Nordshlief.

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

No chance whatever of a drivers' strike. They are all shackled with Golden Handcuff contracts devised by the planet's best paid lawyers. 

The Teams could get together and formally withdraw on safety grounds, like the USA Tyre dispute many years ago.

I am genuinely worried, a mix of  very high speed, lack of forward vision because of the high barriers, and the Red Mist can be a lethal combination.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The Teams could get together and formally withdraw on safety grounds, like the USA Tyre dispute many years ago.

I am genuinely worried, a mix of  very high speed, lack of forward vision because of the high barriers, and the Red Mist can be a lethal combination.

They could. But with the dominance in team finances of sponsorships and other stakeholdings, the commercial imperative will always be to put on the show. The Kingspan issue re Mercedes and Lewis will not go far, and surely does nothing positive for the aggrieved parties at Grenfell either way. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

They could. But with the dominance in team finances of sponsorships and other stakeholdings, the commercial imperative will always be to put on the show. The Kingspan issue re Mercedes and Lewis will not go far, and surely does nothing positive for the aggrieved parties at Grenfell either way. 

I can't see the Kingspan sticker being on the Car today, at least not on Lewis's Car.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

I'm not trying to defend the Jeddah circuit, just get an impression of how it compares with others.

At night under lights, there seem to be no outside references to give them a clue where they are. Even the stands are not overly visible.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Yes, worse than either of those circuits.  There are parts of both Monaco and Montreal that are comparable, but they are only sections and/or taken under different conditions (lower speed).

Jeddah is unrelenting and unforgiving.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I can't see the Kingspan sticker being on the Car today, at least not on Lewis's Car.

Kingspan themselves are distancing themselves from Grenfell as well, they are saying that their product was used without their permission and only in small quantities... But mud sticks.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Jeddah is unrelenting and unforgiving.

Doesn’t that make it more of a test of drivers’ skill rather than the usual richest manufacturer , overcut, undercut, wombling  free types of victories?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Sadly I suspect it’s going to simply be a case of winner is whoever is closest to the pit lane when the safety car comes out….

They'll run out of tyres to fit because there'll be too many safety cars......

• Like 4

Well the late starting F2 race (due to damaged barriers) lasted a whole 3 corners before it was red flagged following 2 crashes. The track is hardly wide enough for one car let alone multiple cars on the first lap. I can't see how the larger F1 cars are going to make it around the opening lap without carnage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Reorte said:

At Monaco, most people could tell which corner is which, even by name. Most modern street "circuits" most corners look identical If it wasn't for the starting grid, you wouldn't be able to tell where the Jedah track started and finished.

• Agree 2