Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Beating Hornby at its own game. It would be deserved.

They have done that from day one,no shareholders to keep,just the weekly barrel of Guinness and tea bags to keep them focused.......or not. I would rather support someone who supports us as they do.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi Fran,

i know you can’t give specific details, but can we expect another steam project any time soon ? 🙄

Hi @Eddie the dog,

We hope to have another one later this year. So, watch this space as they say...

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

For me, if no-one else, a delay is a relief. More time to gather cash. Instalments, certainly helpful to some, make matters worse by tying up cash needed for something else, such as, let’s say, the Class 89. 😇

Yeah, I would recommend planning for the latter there....

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

For me, if no-one else, a delay is a relief. More time to gather cash. Instalments, certainly helpful to some, make matters worse by tying up cash needed for something else, such as, let’s say, the Class 89. 😇

41 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Yeah, I would recommend planning for the latter there....

Cheers!

Fran 

Off topic for the "Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive" thread, but... Yes, Yes, YES!!!

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, tommyliam021 said:

Dare I say the god-forsaken word, A SAINT?

You can never have too many Saints. No two here are the same and there are still a couple more I would like.

Mike Wiltshire

end of the line lr4).jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, tommyliam021 said:

Dare I say the god-forsaken word, A SAINT?

Well i try my best to be a god fearing man but just because i suggest an Accurascale black five does not make me A SAINT................hmmm saint Eric has a ring to it though.......

• Funny 3

Well, now. The Hornby Black 5s are not all that bad. The County is worse and needs a newer version more and preferably not from Hornby, given Hornby’s poor finishes of late. The Saint is even worse than the County but a K4 hasn’t been done at all.

K4, K4, K4!!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Well, now. The Hornby Black 5s are not all that bad. The County is worse and needs a newer version more and preferably not from Hornby, given Hornby’s poor finishes of late. The Saint is even worse than the County but a K4 hasn’t been done at all.

K4, K4, K4!!

"Hornby Black 5s are not all that bad".

Surely if Hornby thought the same they wouldn't be spending time, effort and a considerable amount  of money on what has been described as the "Ultimate Black Five" ?

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

"Hornby Black 5s are not all that bad".

Surely if Hornby thought the same they wouldn't be spending time, effort and a considerable amount  of money on what has been described as the "Ultimate Black Five" ?

The current/recent Hornby tooling must be 20 years old, so probably needed replacing anyway, irrespective of any virtues it may possess.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

K4, K4, K4!!

I understand your critique of Hornby.Regrettably there is abundant evidence of variable quality in current Hornby products. However,all is not yet lost. The finish on the latest A1/A3 seems to have a degree of finish,finesse even, that bucks the depressing downward  trend .And this is ,as the Black 5 will be when it arrives,an upgraded iteration. Let’s hope then it’s made in the same factory….and of course the factory sources and their variability are part of the problem.But this is the seemingly haphazard way in which Hornby work. Does it have to be serendipity?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

A new 4-6-0 County perhaps. They could become the leading OO Gauge supplier of GWR Locos! 

A decent County, with a choice of that smoke stack thing (and there were more than two versions), would be truly excellent thank you.

P

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Surely you are all missing the point… 

The next GWR loco from Accurascale will  be an 0-6-0 Pannier tank, as per my recent poll.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to my sound fitted Manor.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Surely you are all missing the point… 

The next GWR loco from Accurascale will  be an 0-6-0 Pannier tank, as per my recent poll.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to my sound fitted Manor.

If so, it/they will incorporate sprung centre axles, it's to be hoped, as an owner of Bachmann examples with (57xx/8750) and without (64xx), I'm in no doubt as to the benefit.

I'd still prefer a Hawksworth County, done the Accurascale way, though.

John

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd still prefer a Hawksworth County, done the Accurascale way, though.

I don't think a really decent County would be good. Hawkworth's 4-6-0s often get a bad press but seemed to be the right loco for the times.

I would prefer though an SR H15 in original Urie guise and in time, the many variations of same. Always thought that with some smart tooling, the H15 presents a great opportunity to sell the same investment many times over given that there are five variations on a theme. In its way, a fairly important step in loco design.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I don't think a really decent County would be good. Hawkworth's 4-6-0s often get a bad press but seemed to be the right loco for the times.

I would prefer though an SR H15 in original Urie guise and in time, the many variations of same. Always thought that with some smart tooling, the H15 presents a great opportunity to sell the same investment many times over given that there are five variations on a theme. In its way, a fairly important step in loco design.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi. Richard,

The bad press the Hawksworth Counties receive generally appears to come from the rose-tinted specs-wearing cohort of late-twenties/early-thirties GWR fans, some of whom don't even seem to be completely comfortable with Castles and Kings!

I rode behind several 10xx, and they were good strong engines, I hope I shall be in a fit state to be similarly impressed by the replica. 

I agree that the "pure" Urie H15 would be a good candidate for RTR (as would his S15) but I can't see anyone being brave enough to take on the Drummond rebuilds, which just vary too much.

John

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards,

Richard B

But, but, you've just spent years building beauties of that design!

P

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi. Richard,

The bad press the Hawksworth Counties receive generally appears to come from the rose-tinted specs-wearing cohort of late-twenties/early-thirties GWR fans, some of whom don't even seem to be completely comfortable with Castles and Kings!

I rode behind several 10xx, and they were good strong engines, I hope I shall be in a fit state to be similarly impressed by the replica. 

I agree that the "pure" Urie H15 would be a good candidate for RTR (as would his S15) but I can't see anyone being brave enough to take on the Drummond rebuilds, which just vary too much.

John

Counties were just right for Fast but many stops X Country stuff and tough little routes like west of the Tamar. Laira liked its' small allocation, but redundant Halls and Castles in particular were more versatile I believe? Steam had really gone from 83D by late '63 anyway so early moves of the Counties was understandable, sadly

Hornby need to do the S15 as their Maunsell version is a superb engine; I think I have discovered 5 in my lost boxes.... derrrr.

Modified (if I can say that?) H15 would be a decent loco for the Irish lads.

Phil

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi. Richard,

The bad press the Hawksworth Counties receive generally appears to come from the rose-tinted specs-wearing cohort of late-twenties/early-thirties GWR fans, some of whom don't even seem to be completely comfortable with Castles and Kings!…..

John

Morning John,

As a 1930’s “cohort” I don’t think my specs are rose tinted…. And I do appreciate Castles and Kings (4 of the former 1 of the latter)… however, Counties just don’t fit my timeframe for Henley-on-Thames. Whereas the Pannier does.

Anyway, back on topic and I am certainly looking forward to getting my Manor stretching its legs at Henley-on-Thames. Hopefully it will be here soon… but I’m happy to wait for it to be perfect 👍 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning John,

As a 1930’s “cohort” I don’t think my specs are rose tinted…. And I do appreciate Castles and Kings (4 of the former 1 of the latter)… however, Counties just don’t fit my timeframe for Henley-on-Thames. Whereas the Pannier does.

Anyway, back on topic and I am certainly looking forward to getting my Manor stretching its legs at Henley-on-Thames. Hopefully it will be here soon… but I’m happy to wait for it to be perfect 👍 

Hi, Neal,

But I bet you know people who do think that way.😃

I'd not object to a Pannier as I've already re-chassised one of mine and a second is beginning to creak a bit.

The H15 would be nice, but by the time I was old enough to be taking an interest, they rarely appeared down my way. By then, Salisbury-Exeter stoppers were generally in the hands of Maunsell S15s, Standards or the odd Light Pacific working its mileage out before overhaul. 

Regards

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

If folk want to talk/froth/guess about Accurascale's second steam outline model will somebody please start a separate thread for it instead of cluttering up this one with irrelevancies (as far as the 'Manor' is concerned) because we could well miss some important sounding news about the 'Manor' among all this chatter.

• Agree 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

But, but, you've just spent years building beauties of that design!

P

You are right Phil. Firstly I should correct my error, I think a decent County would be a great idea, as I suggested, a much maligned loco.

Regarding the Urie H15, firstly you can never have enough H15s and secondly, I like to share my enthusiasm, more modellers should have access to the "Chonker" experience.

I admit, I have a bit of an obsession with these massive looking loco's with that giant smokebox. In many ways a bit ugly which perhaps explains my liking for Mr Thompson's A2's rebuilds and new builds (although I would have preferred the P2's to survive.) great ugly brutish loco's.

Sorry to interrupt things Great Western! Pray continue with 78XX discussions.

Kind regards,

Richard B

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

If folk want to talk/froth/guess about Accurascale's second steam outline model will somebody please start a separate thread for it instead of cluttering up this one with irrelevancies (as far as the 'Manor' is concerned) because we could well miss some important sounding news about the 'Manor' among all this chatter.

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️ There is literally a topic in the A/S section to put model ideas. Can we take it there please as I came here thinking "Oh, some Manor discussion" to find people rambling on about SR H15s 😡

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2