Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Will it be the same, ahem, substantial sized box as the Deltic?

that is our standard locomotive box size so all locomotives from accurascale will be in that box design. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

DHL are already buying larger vans in anticipation 🤣

heh. I dread to think how heavy an O Deltic would be :)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, McC said:

heh. I dread to think how heavy an O Deltic would be :)

The overall mass might cause warping effects in space/time around it. Get two together and you'd probably end up with a black hole...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Low tender = more coal dust in your face when running tender first.  In our current weather even running the pep pipe over the coal space isn't going to keep the dust down for very long.  Will A/S 'Mano sounds include some 'footplate language' suitable for such situations?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Just spotted this over on Twitter from one of the guys at the WSR regards Manors.

If my 3 A/S Manors have or can do all this I'll be one happy bunny

500655150_Screenshot_20220624-1049472.thumb.png.698ca28f52105976dd25bfb5464d08a5.png

From a WSR viewpoint, there's little one could deny in that statement. To which one could add that when worked on lighter trains the, reduction in coal consumption  is reasonably proportionate.

Green, lots of wheels and named keeps the punters happy too...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Just spotted this over on Twitter from one of the guys at the WSR regards Manors.

If my 3 A/S Manors have or can do all this I'll be one happy bunny

500655150_Screenshot_20220624-1049472.thumb.png.698ca28f52105976dd25bfb5464d08a5.png

I wouldn’t deny any of those virtues but, if I were crew, I’d not welcome having to scrabble around between the frames to oil round and dispose. I’d rather have a Standard, with its outside cylinders and valve gear, rocking grate, hopper ashpan and self-cleaning smokebox. It could always be painted green and named, as some were.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

12 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I wouldn’t deny any of those virtues but, if I were crew, I’d not welcome having to scrabble around between the frames to oil round and dispose. I’d rather have a Standard, with its outside cylinders and valve gear, rocking grate, hopper ashpan and self-cleaning smokebox. It could always be painted green and named, as some were.

The post is in relation to the WSR, which just has GW machines operating ATM so I guess a skewed opinion

I didn't mean to start a debate on the pros and cons of operating a steam loco 😅. Like I said in the original post, if the A/S model does all those things I'll be happy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Oiling is easy just do the big ends and eccentrics and chuck a couple of buckets of oil in to do the rest - it worked well enough on 'Castles' at certain sheds so 'Manor's might manage too .  And don't forget that some in the preservation world have fitted hopper ashpans to GWR design engines - because they had to dispose them regularly.

None of which will make much difference on the A/S model of course apart from possibly adding yet more language about people not bothering to read 'Not To Be Moved' boards

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

The post is in relation to the WSR, which just has GW machines operating ATM so I guess a skewed opinion

I didn't mean to start a debate on the pros and cons of operating a steam loco 😅. Like I said in the original post, if the A/S model does all those things I'll be happy

I wasn’t intending a debate either. I just popped in a pennyworth. 

40 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Are there any pictures of an actual Anthony Manor model rather than the renders that I'm finding on most sites?

TIA

Not that I can find. I’m interested because I have a grandson named Anthony. I mentioned that to Fran, whose response was, “It’s meant to be.” Sadly for the wallet, he was absolutely right. 😁

37 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oiling is easy just do the big ends and eccentrics and chuck a couple of buckets of oil in to do the rest - it worked well enough on 'Castles' at certain sheds so 'Manor's might manage too .  And don't forget that some in the preservation world have fitted hopper ashpans to GWR design engines - because they had to dispose them regularly.

None of which will make much difference on the A/S model of course apart from possibly adding yet more language about people not bothering to read 'Not To Be Moved' boards

Interesting. I always wondered why Hawksworth didn’t go the whole hog and introduce outside valve gear on his Halls, Castles and Manors. Especially the Halls as they were a much more thorough redesign.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I prefer preping anything with outside motion. The best is 1501 as the only thing underneath are on the brakeshaft and a quick look to check the springs. As for "not to be moved boards"  They are quite simply a STOP signal in a different form to protect those working on the loco and the only one who should ever take it off is the person who put it on. By the same degree moving with one on is simply like a spad. 

As for Hoppers, they are good to a point, but warp over time and can lead to move fire risk without lots of gauze. On a normal Pannier a flat pan is far better using just a really long rake over the brakeshaft. 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 23:33, No Decorum said:

Not that I can find. I’m interested because I have a grandson named Anthony. I mentioned that to Fran, whose response was, “It’s meant to be.” Sadly for the wallet, he was absolutely right. 😁

I have ordered Anthony Manor for a similar reason - my brother is an 'Anthony'.  And I wanted a small GW 4-6-0. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Which Manor variants have you all ordered?

Would be interesting to see if the preserved Manor variants are more popular (they certainly are for me) as I have ordered Erlestoke Manor, Bradley Manor and Dinmore Manor. Still thinking about whether Cookham Manor will join the fleet 🤔

With Erlestoke Manor due back in steam in the near future I am incredibly excited for both the model and the real thing! 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Harry220 said:

Which Manor variants have you all ordered?

Would be interesting to see if the preserved Manor variants are more popular (they certainly are for me) as I have ordered Erlestoke Manor, Bradley Manor and Dinmore Manor. Still thinking about whether Cookham Manor will join the fleet 🤔

With Erlestoke Manor due back in steam in the near future I am incredibly excited for both the model and the real thing! 

Please let's not just list who's ordered what - it will be very tedious. The nice Accurascale people might be able to say something about the relative popularity of preserved to in-service versions in their order books.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Please let's not just list who's ordered what - it will be very tedious. The nice Accurascale people might be able to say something about the relative popularity of preserved to in-service versions in their order books.

Plus of course, every time I see there is new content on this thread….. I’m thinking…. Todays the day of the sound videos…. Only to find it’s not 😞

Soon though, can’t be long 😎

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

You could try this to assess the popularity:

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class?sort_by=best-selling

Edited by BR Blue
Spelling

Some years ago now, I was involved in building e-commerce web sites. One of sites we built had a "top products sold!" feature. We asked the business how that was to be determined. Questions such as:

For the number itself, is that by volume? By price? By margin?
For the time range, is that since midnight? A rolling 24 hours? For the last week?

All very easy to calculate from the relevant database with a suitable query.

The answer came back:

"No, we need to be able to update the list manually. We want to be able to change the list whenever we want. Sometimes we put badly-selling or end-of-line items at the top, as that helps up shift them."

Not for a moment suggesting that Accurascale are doing this, but I'd certainly take any ordering with a very large pinch of salt.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1