Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

10 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Just spotted this on the Hornby Magazine Facebook page.

Certainly looks promising along with the rest of the line up. I still question the 89A Oswestry plate though

Link below (hopefully it works) for anyone interested in having a look

https://hubs.ly/Q0135xwK0

Screenshot_20220129-203741.png.b094198c24735c73e6ec18d756993b06.png

Looks absolutely amazing. I’m really looking forward to this model!

I too wonder about the shed code plate - I did raise it on here at the beginning of October but I think it was lost in the excitement of the announcement! I would have thought 89C would have been it’s plate, but maybe Accurascale have a picture showing it carrying an 89A?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Adrock said:

I too wonder about the shed code plate - I did raise it on here at the beginning of October but I think it was lost in the excitement of the announcement! I would have thought 89C would have been it’s plate, but maybe Accurascale have a picture showing it carrying an 89A?

Shedcodes changed several times during the last few years of the Manors operational lives. Shrewsbury became 89A and then later moved to the MR with the code 6 ? Thus you had the odd coexistence in the shed of both Stanier and Standard  5’s which then operated the Central Wales line with Manors over the Cambrian ……both carrying 89A discs.Then later in the mid 1960’s the position was reversed.as Shrewsbury became a MR shed in the Chester district.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Adrock said:

Hi everyone,

The shedplate on this loco is incorrect and will be corrected 89C on the production models.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7

Whichever shed plate it gets, I'm just glad you've not gone for the ridiculous white paint that it got tarted up with in the 60s. 

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

The shedplate on this loco is incorrect and will be corrected 89C on the production models.

Cheers!

Fran

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, I think 7802 was allocated to Machynlleth between 1958 and 1960 does anyone know if this was correct and if so what shedplate it would have carried as I thin’ Machynlleth only became 6F later. Thanks Fred 

IIRC Cambrian sheds transferred to LMR wef 1.10.63 so prior to this would have been 89C 

Phil

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Whichever shed plate it gets, I'm just glad you've not gone for the ridiculous white paint that it got tarted up with in the 60s. 

With respect, you may feel the white paint applied to buffers and smokebox straps was 'ridiculous', but that is simply a matter of personal taste. Aberystwyth shed master Danny Rowlands instructed that the shed's 'Manors' had this embellishment, especially those allocated to the shed's top duty, the "Cambrian Coast Express". It was known locally as 'Danny's Bull'. It may or may not be to people's personal taste, but it IS historically accurate and it was a symbol of professionalism and pride in the job at a time when moral on the railways was low and many were leaving the industry. To my mind it should be celebrated.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Were 7802's smokebox straps and darts painted or polished?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/e2064e2e1

These chaps know a bit about Manors and refer to paint on the smoke box door hinges…

Erlestoke Manor web page

Edited by Phil Bullock

Regarding the matter of shed plates

I am reflecting on how far we have come and how stratospheric standards are now .

My train set in 1956 was a Triang black Princess. No valve gear , too short etc but I thought it was wonderful.

60 years later we have the Accurascale Manor ; accurate  down to subtle variations; a beautiful jewel! And incredibly detailed  even down to shed plates , which at my age , I struggle see without my specs .

How lucky we are .

• Agree 11

2 hours ago, 1466 said:

My train set in 1956 was a Triang black Princess. No valve gear , too short etc but I thought it was wonderful.

..... I struggle see without my specs .

Still have my Princess love it and still run it now and then on original motor.  Even with readers can't see detail at 20in running distance.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Were 7802's smokebox straps and darts painted or polished?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/e2064e2e1

That doesn't look to me like white paint but be aware that some sheds used 'aluminium colour' paint and not white.   The smokebox door handles were either castings or forgings (I'm not sure which but in this context it makes little difference) and would have been very difficult to get up to a polished finish).

BTW the smokebox dart was inside the smokebox and was the item which when turned through 90 degrees by the inner handle held the smokebox door closed.  the outer handle screwed up to hold it all fully secured and keep the smokebox airtight.  Thus the handle nearest the door would point directly downwards showing that the dart was properly engaged.  The outer handle would end up at whatever angle it got to when fully tightened.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

42 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW the smokebox dart was inside the smokebox and was the item which when turned through 90 degrees by the inner handle held the smokebox door closed.  the outer handle screwed up to hold it all fully secured and keep the smokebox airtight.  Thus the handle nearest the door would point directly downwards showing that the dart was properly engaged.  The outer handle would end up at whatever angle it got to when fully tightened.

Terminology for a glorified nut and bolt!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

That doesn't look to me like white paint but be aware that some sheds used 'aluminium colour' paint and not white.   The smokebox door handles were either castings or forgings (I'm not sure which but in this context it makes little difference) and would have been very difficult to get up to a polished finish).

The most celebrated of the genre being The Landore Castles’ buffers ,the brainchild of Shedmaster Roy White.A morale booster if there ever was. ……as you know.

On 14/01/2022 at 00:20, Accurascale Fran said:

Black Beauty - More Manors Revealed

Accurascale-Manor-7814-01.jpg.ebe141497207841df6f8b6b00f6480c3.jpg

Hi everyone,

Today, we can show you 7814 'Fringford Manor' and 7824 'Iford Manor' in BR plain black livery, as well as 7810 'Draycott Manor' in BR lined green with small early BR crest.

Once again, these were produced with our first decorated samples before Christmas, so our tweaks we wish to make have not been done so on these samples. We are also thinking of making 7814 and 7824 a bit more black, using a slightly darker shade, but let us know your thoughts on that too!

Check them out below!

Accurascale-Manor-7814-06.jpg.f478ff2650837584e4503958aab61857.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7814-09.jpg.d20a30b075bfbee9a1fb65f224aad79e.jpg

Now onto Iford Manor, but first, note the two different chimneys and smokeboxes between our two plain black Manors, demonstrating the pre and post 1952 redraughting.

Accurascale-Manor-Line-Up-Early-BR-01.jpg.8ac01bcc2034906bbc313481a0155ac2.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7824-05.jpg.f82ca80157b1882f4a325d1a20668c82.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7824-01.jpg.b9b10c152591fb5c67f4898806aeb6a9.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7824-08.jpg.f4f7acd428b463fa1e54a2a5157a1c38.jpg

In the coming weeks we will be showing you our custom DCC sound project, demonstrating the excellent running characteristics and realistic sound, recorded from real Manors that were working hard! Make sure you keep an eye out for that.

In the meantime, order your Manor today via your local stockist or our website. Since we have previewed our recent decorated samples we have seen a surge in pre-orders, and with production slot already confirmed there are only a finite amount we can continue to offer for sale. We would like to extend a big and sincere thank you to everyone who has helped us with this project on here and who has placed an order so far! 

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class

Cheers!

Fran 

I can see an order for a second black one coming now Fran. when will we see the lined black ones so I can choose one of each with the most differences, if that makes sense

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mark Hamlin said:

I can see an order for a second black one coming now Fran. when will we see the lined black ones so I can choose one of each with the most differences, if that makes sense

Hi Mark,

We should have pictures of the lined sample next month (post CNY)

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Tony Sheffield of Rail-Online is of the opinion that 7802's smokebox handles and hinges are painted with silver paint.

This is an interesting debate.  My father was at Aberystwyth at the time the Manor's were being painted and knew Danny Rowlands well.  He said that two Manors (7802 and 7803) would receive their white paint each day - one would haul the CCE and the other would be the spare loco just in case the CCE loco was failed.  If not required, the spare loco then took the first stopping train after the CCE had left. This loco was usually not quite as clean as the CCE loco although still in excellent condition.  Looking at my father's own photos, the paint definately looked white and that was certainly his recollection. 

However ... !!  The photo of 7802 provided by Miss Prism does suggest that silver paint was used.  I have also seen a colour version of the same photo and I would say with much more certainty that silver paint was used in that photo.  So it looks like both white and silver paint were used.  The photo was taken in 1959, which was a couple of years before my father's time.  So did they start off using silver paint before switching to white paint in the early '60's or did they just use whatever paint was available?   Someone may be able to answer that one.

Whilst I like the painted version in real life, I won't be embellishing my DCC sound fitted version of 7802 when it arrives.  It will remain in pristine condition without any additional painting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Looking at all this shed code information is very interesting. I have ordered a sound fitted Erlestoke Manor being the right livery/crest for my layout era and it was also one of the few Manors that spent some time shedded at Newton Abbot and Laira. As I was brought up in Exeter I will change the shed code to 83D (Laira at time) - if I can find one! The pictures of the Accurascale 7812 shows a 89A shed code.

As an aside, when I was about 12, I shamelessly nicked a shed plate off a loco in Exeter St Davids shed which now adorns the beam over the door of my garage here in France. I can admit this now as I believe  Brexit means that no European arrest warrants can be issued by the UK and maybe the statute of limitations has run out! ^_^

IMG_1199.jpeg.abf7033a046d6c2f473ccdab6f490960.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, JST said:

Looking at all this shed code information is very interesting. I have ordered a sound fitted Erlestoke Manor being the right livery/crest for my layout era and it was also one of the few Manors that spent some time shedded at Newton Abbot and Laira. As I was brought up in Exeter I will change the shed code to 83D (Laira at time) - if I can find one! The pictures of the Accurascale 7812 shows a 89A shed code.

As an aside, when I was about 12, I shamelessly nicked a shed plate off a loco in Exeter St Davids shed which now adorns the beam over the door of my garage here in France. I can admit this now as I believe  Brexit means that no European arrest warrants can be issued by the UK and maybe the statute of limitations has run out! ^_^

I've got 7812 with sound on order too. If you are going to change the shedplate to Laira will you need to remove the electrification flashes as well ?

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2022 at 18:34, Fredo said:

Hi, I think 7802 was allocated to Machynlleth between 1958 and 1960 does anyone know if this was correct and if so what shedplate it would have carried as I thin’ Machynlleth only became 6F later. Thanks Fred 

According to BR Database:

7802 first arrived at MCH (BR 89C) in 1946 from Oswestry, staying there until 17/11/62 when it went to Tyseley (84E) moved back to MCH 12/10/63 (by which time that had become 6F) and it's last depot was Shrewsbury (6D) from 6/02/65 from where it was withdrawn on  6/11/65 ending up at Woodham's yard.

Edited by melmerby