Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m running mine on DC (Guagemaster) and the synchronisation is very good there is a satisfying brake release squeal just before the injectors hiss and the chuff starts. The inertia is impressive but so far I haven’t been able to trigger the braking sounds. Overall it’s so good I might not bother to move to DCC.

Not being funny, but are you saying the Decoder/Sound works on DC? Blimey if that's the case and I am thinking I have missed some progression in sound provision?

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Of course it does . BTW have sent you pm 

Blimey, I had no idea that could work. Has it always been that way, or am I so out of touch I'm in a parallel Universe?

Thanks for the PM; have looked.

Phil 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Can you toot the whistle(s) or turn on the blower (for instance)?

Can't do anything that requires activating a function.

Running sounds and random functions will work on DC but not activated functions.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Can you toot the whistle(s) or turn on the blower (for instance)?

No . Just the forward & reverse motion ,injector & the odd squeal .Depends on the individual sound file .Very basic,But it does work. One of the best,now no longer used sadly,was Hornby’s Loksound system. Has to use more juice. But you can have lots of fun once you master the contro steps .Recommend the use of 21st C controller like Gaugemaster 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Can't do anything that requires activating a function.

Running sounds and random functions will work on DC but not activated functions.

25 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No . Just the forward & reverse motion ,injector & the odd squeal .Depends on the individual sound file .Very basic,But it does work. One of the best,now no longer used sadly,was Hornby’s Loksound system. Has to use more juice. But you can have lots of fun once you master the contro steps .Recommend the use of 21st C controller like Gaugemaster 

Yep, just wanting that to be made clear, thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Mine suddenly decided to activate coal shovelling and simultaneously the firebox lit up. Completely random on DC but entertaining!!

And that’s the fun of it. Trick is to be gentle on the controller & let things happen. Obviously not for the purist & I don’t make any claims for the serious operator.I get fun .Which is fine for me that’s all 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey, I had no idea that could work. Has it always been that way, or am I so out of touch I'm in a parallel Universe?

Thanks for the PM; have looked.

Phil 

Certainly works on Bachmann models with V4 chips, @Silver Sidelines provided some commentary on this a few years ago as I recall. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And that’s the fun of it. Trick is to be gentle on the controller & let things happen. Obviously not for the purist & I don’t make any claims for the serious operator.I get fun .Which is fine for me that’s all 

It works for me too - tapping at buttons is a distraction from watching this loco move majestically - but I had to get my track really clean so there was no stuttering.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm dim and don't want to sound rude, but why have you got a sound fitted loco at quite an expense, but on a DC Layout?

Be gentle as my remaining Brain Cell is fading rapidly.

Phil

For just the ( occasional ) extravagance & that extra bit of fun without the necessity of installing even more  expensive new electronic equipment. I am no tech wizard.. and as we all do I enjoy running my trains. Well it works for me anyway.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm dim and don't want to sound rude, but why have you got a sound fitted loco at quite an expense, but on a DC Layout?

Phil

Phil

Well, at my time of life I figured I wouldn’t be buying any more locomotives of this quality given the long gestation time - and having read that they were DC compatible (but with basic sound ) I thought this might be a good investment in case I was tempted by DCC in the future!  I used to use the Q Kits sound controllers in the 1990s but was never happy with the sound quality.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For just the ( occasional ) extravagance & that extra bit of fun without the necessity of installing even more  expensive new electronic equipment. I am no tech wizard.. and as we all do I enjoy running my trains. Well it works for me anyway.

Oh I see Ian. That's really something I'd have never thought about..but I've been Using for around 12 years now.

Sounds like fun.

I'm hoping that, because I don't really use sound on my present layout, that DC loco's will have the ability to run on DCC by some sort of mini Decoder that doesn't cost £20+. 

You are using the DC Function on the Loco Chip I suppose? If so how can you access that without a DCC Controller/Handset? 

P

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Well, at my time of life I figured I wouldn’t be buying any more locomotives of this quality given the long gestation time - and having read that they were DC compatible (but with basic sound ) I thought this might be a good investment in case I was tempted by DCC in the future!  I used to use the Q Kits sound controllers in the 1990s but was never happy with the sound quality.

That will teach me to read stuff ref the DC Compatible, presumably not requiring the selection of the DC Functionon the Loco chip, from a DCC  Handset?

I still learn stuff every day. Anything teccy and to do with trickery and I am terrified I'm going to destroy an expensive thing by ignorance. I killed a DCC 5Amp Booster that way; expensive mistake that was.

Have fun LS, that's what it's all about.

P

• Friendly/supportive 3

24 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Because with the right controller (anything quality, not the wave modulated trainset rubbish, or anything else old and wavy), a full-fat DCC sound chip works rather well and is good fun, and if driven correctly can give an impressive array of sounds (including shovelling of coal, brake squealing, cylinder drain cocks, ambient hissing, etc (I say this as having had a lot of experience with a pair of Hornby Britannias factory-fitted Loksound V4s which had a lot of playtime on DC before I got my DCC controller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh I see Ian. That's really something I'd have never thought about..but I've been Using for around 12 years now.

Sounds like fun.

I'm hoping that, because I don't really use sound on my present layout, that DC loco's will have the ability to run on DCC by some sort of mini Decoder that doesn't cost £20+. 

You are using the DC Function on the Loco Chip I suppose? If so how can you access that without a DCC Controller/Handset? 

P

If you consider that now and indeed the last couple of years Bachmann have manufactured sound models to be compatible with dc running and publicise the fact,albeit with limited capabilities,you get the picture. I have zero knowledge of how this operates. But it does. Now Accurascale,without actually publicising or maybe without even the actual knowledge or experience of it are perhaps unwittingly offering a similar capability. The electronics I cannot explain.If it works then that’s fine for me.As I have said,I have a nearly new Gaugemaster Combi . In your case,it will depend upon the suitability of your controller and is age & electronics

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

If you consider that now and indeed the last couple of years Bachmann have manufactured sound models to be compatible with dc running and publicise the fact,albeit with limited capabilities,you get the picture. I have zero knowledge of how this operates. But it does. Now Accurascale,without actually publicising or maybe without even the actual knowledge or experience of it are perhaps unwittingly offering a similar capability. The electronics I cannot explain.If it works then that’s fine for me.As I have said,I have a nearly new Gaugemaster Combi . In your case,it will depend upon the suitability of your controller and is age & electronics

All of our DCC sound models run well on analogue, it’s something we’ve confirmed since our very first deltic. The Decoder once sufficient voltage is applied can simply realize it’s on DC and provides a ‘simulation’ mode 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well clearly I've also been living under a stone, because I had no idea that DCC-chipped models would move on DC, never mind sound-equipped ones doing their thing on that front, too. Every day's a school day!

Great photos, all - keep them coming!

cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

18 hours ago, Sam*45110*SVR said:

My DC Bradley Manor has arrived today in a nice lined green box. Will add pictures shortly.

Edit: pics added

20230816_132935.jpg

20230816_133115.jpg

20230816_133134.jpg

So how come yours has arrived , mine isn't due to be dispatched till Monday, its confusing that there Is such a delay in sending the products out when there are only 350 of them ? 

20 minutes ago, Lord Cooper said:

So how come yours has arrived , mine isn't due to be dispatched till Monday, its confusing that there Is such a delay in sending the products out when there are only 350 of them ? 

1. Maybe they have told you Monday as a worst case scenario?

2. Maybe they only have one person packing and dispatching? 
3. Maybe they are packing and sending in relation to when they received the order? (Mine arrived yesterday but I ordered on the day they were announced).

4. All above could be incorrect but keep complaining on a forum isn’t going to speed up delivery to you.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

1. Maybe they have told you Monday as a worst case scenario?

2. Maybe they only have one person packing and dispatching? 
3. Maybe they are packing and sending in relation to when they received the order? (Mine arrived yesterday but I ordered on the day they were announced).

4. All above could be incorrect but keep complaining on a forum isn’t going to speed up delivery to you.

5. So they don't have to answer emails/calls asking "Where's mine?"

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2