Bachmann Spring 2021 - New tooling Class 20/0

AY Mod

• 1 month later...

My only gripe around the 20/0 is the factory speaker, otherwise absolutely fantastic model. The number and arrows position isn't exactly a bog standard placement, but I'll get around to that at some point.

Switching out the speaker is easy enough, 4 screws out (two ends, and two on one side) and loose off the remaining two to get at the screws holding in the speaker. Then its a simple task of soldering on one or two (in parallel) 8ohm 20x20x7 megabass minis which fit a treat, one where the factory speaker mounts and the second foam taped in just behind the decoder and before the pickup/motor plugs. My pair are both done with twins in parallel and on half volume the two of them will literally rattle your teeth out! Naturally they're turned down somewhat to a sensible volume, but the sound project really comes to life with a speaker upgrade.

992282184_Breakdowntrain(2).jpg.9d51c36b73960e302fcf45b3a4e2f7a8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ref 20055, for the sake of renumbering I am correct in saying this loco has the small cabside windows and not the larger Scottish versions ??

Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction as to where I can find out what the numbering sequence of the small and large window versions were.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RBC said:

Ref 20055, for the sake of renumbering I am correct in saying this loco has the small cabside windows and not the larger Scottish versions ??

Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction as to where I can find out what the numbering sequence of the small and large window versions were.

Thanks

Do you mean the size of the font ?

Opinion has it that Bachmanns BR TOPS white number font is a little over sized compared to others ( and 3rd party transfer suppliers).

its somewhere in between standard sized, and Scottish standard sized TOPS numbering.

note the “37284” in regular Bachmann tops white number font, compared with Replica, Railtec and Pressfix, also note “45046” compared against a Scottish TOPS “9”

401ABD96-57B0-45AA-BDAB-C56C2FAB40D6.jpeg.5e49597ea6245a044cecfcd8e507ac4e.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

Thanks for that but I've maybe not it made it clear.

Looking to see what Class 20 locos had the larger style 'Scottish' cabside windows.

Have trawled the internet to find if their is a numbering sequence differentiating between the small and large window versions.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, RBC said:

Looking to see what Class 20 locos had the larger style 'Scottish' cabside windows.

Have trawled the internet to find if their is a numbering sequence differentiating between the small and large window versions.

Thanks

D8028-34/70-127 (20028>20034/20070>20127) had the deeper windows

Thanks

9 minutes ago, RBC said:

Thanks

As I mentioned above , the deeper window ones were the large window Scottish ones , all the ones I mentioned had tablet catcher recesses + large windows from new

As I live and breathe R&Ding the recreation of the smallest markings on a daily basis, this is a topic close to my heart! This photo on Flickr (not mine) might help illustrate the difference both in the two styles of cl20 cab window arrangements and, conveniently, the difference in numeral sizes too. Recreating all the differences in number sizes, spacing and styles so that your models look like the real things really is as fun as it sounds.

RS4306 20065 , 20114 CREWE SAT 16.09.1989

• Like 9

On 05/02/2022 at 14:33, railtec-models said:

As I live and breathe R&Ding the recreation of the smallest markings on a daily basis, this is a topic close to my heart! This photo on Flickr (not mine) might help illustrate the difference both in the two styles of cl20 cab window arrangements and, conveniently, the difference in numeral sizes too. Recreating all the differences in number sizes, spacing and styles so that your models look like the real things really is as fun as it sounds.

RS4306 20065 , 20114 CREWE SAT 16.09.1989

I know it's early days but have Bachmann indicated if they will be producing the Blue version with Scottish style windows ??

Sounds straightforward since it would only be the cab to design and clip onto the existing body.

Railfreight version with discs ??

Thanks

Edited by RBC

8 hours ago, RBC said:

I know it's early days but have Bachmann indicated if they will be producing the Blue version with Scottish style windows ??

Sounds straightforward since it would only be the cab to design and clip onto the existing body.

Thanks

I expect they will do, they produced it before on the previous tooling so I'd be surprised if they didn't take it into account with the current model. Of course with Bachmann we're only seeing new models in the quarterly announcements a short time before they arrive

9 hours ago, RBC said:

Thanks

It was mentioned when these were announced that they had tooled up for producing the Scottish variants in due course 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RBC said:

Thought I seen a thread on this subject but I can't find it therefore apologies.

Has anyone tried to put a driver into the cab ?

If so are the principles the same as removing the old tooling cab ?

Thanks

Yes, I followed this video

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How are the new tooling Bachmann sound files rated? Compared to other sources for example. I know that the 'old' class 20 factory sound was poor but assuming new one is an improved SWD version.

Are the 20/0 and 20/3 sound versions significantly different. Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

On 05/03/2022 at 07:59, zr2498 said:

How are the new tooling Bachmann sound files rated? Compared to other sources for example. I know that the 'old' class 20 factory sound was poor but assuming new one is an improved SWD version.

Are the 20/0 and 20/3 sound versions significantly different. Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Ive had the harry needle 20/3 and both the blue and green 20/0 sound fitted versions. The sound files are the same. Not sure what sound file they use but there on a zimo decoder so unlikley to be SWD. 

Its a better than some of the earlier soundfiles. I do find the horns a bit of a dissapointment tho. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Decided to pull the trigger on a green version now prices have settled a bit, but just wondering if anyone knows what connections/pads on the motherboard for fitting a stay alive?

I usually just solder it to the decoder but wondered if anyone knows attachments on the main board.

Edited by boxbrownie

• 9 months later...
On 05/03/2022 at 07:59, zr2498 said:

No such thing as a good class 20 sound file in my opinion haha.

all of them are flawed somehow

40 minutes ago, richierich said:

Asking for a friend, has anyone experience in converting this new 2021 tooled class 20 to P4?

I converted my Railfreight one a while ago. I can't remember all the details, but it was pretty straightforward using 14mm Black Beetle wheels and transfering the Bachmann gears to the axles.

I don't think any filing was needed to fit the wheels between the frames but could be wrong. The recent Bachmann 47 needed the brake rigging thinning down ever so slightly; the class 20 may have been the same. I'd take a photo, but my 20 is boxed up at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Liam

Edit - If using Black Beetles, make sure you get the ones which are insulated on both wheels. The new model has a diecast gear tower and will short out if the axle is live.

Edited by Pillar