Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

5 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Bachmann modelled D5182 with a water tank........maybe should have stuck with D7581 as shown in the catalogue (D5255 arrived numbered D7502 as well!)

They're a lot better this past few years but the whilst earlier generations of post-2000 Bachmann diesels may have been a big improvement on the Ringfield era, they were pretty bad at actually selecting the accurate examples for their tooling. The Class 42 Warship was a case in point, their tooling was correct for a score or so of the class yet they had the unerring ability to issue versions numbered outside that range. 

On 13/10/2023 at 07:56, stovepipe said:

Not so, D5181 was also plain GFYE in April 1968.

Class 25 Nos 5159 & 5181 Derby Works April 1968

I would take issue about the lack of air brake hinges on 25032. It clearly had the hinges on the one side affected.

25032 at Toton

The dual braked class 25s with the bodyside air intakes only had them hinged on one side. This was because maintenance staff couldnt crawl down the one side of the engine room to change the filter packs. They were therefore modified to unlatch and swing out so the filters could be changed outside the loco - but only on the side where the additional air gubbins was installed.

EDIT

On the image posted tbere is a long brass "piano" hinge vertically fitted on the left side of each bodyside grille.  On the right hand side are two horizontal metal straps which allow the filter boxes to be latched closed.

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/10/2023 at 19:47, andyman7 said:

They're a lot better this past few years but the whilst earlier generations of post-2000 Bachmann diesels may have been a big improvement on the Ringfield era, they were pretty bad at actually selecting the accurate examples for their tooling. The Class 42 Warship was a case in point, their tooling was correct for a score or so of the class yet they had the unerring ability to issue versions numbered outside that range. 

That's right about the Class 42, quick mental scan.......D800/1/4/6/8/9/12/67/70 were wrong, D816/7/8/20/7/9/31/32 were right (actually with the tooling based on D818 with its unique Spanner Mark III train heating boiler roof detail only D818 was truly correct, but we'll ignore that along with D832's NBL-style raised roof fan grilles!) 

Three of the first four Peak releases had numerous errors, including widespread air tank confusion - D163 is so wrong all over that I've given up on the prospect of putting mine right and just last week got hold of a blue D186 (to model D151 the first Peak into Cornwall) instead - FAR less work! Same with Class 08s although I think having only two bonnet sections (hinged type with one vacuum exhauster and flush type with two) was always going to be a bit limiting - yes they could have made selections to match but the earliest examples were hinged type with two exhausters and cutting out all the black ones would have been a shame......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/10/2023 at 13:53, Matt said:

Anyone waiting on details on SLWs website to order the original body 25 - it’s up there now. Order duly placed :-)

Thanks for that Matt.

Been on the website and SLW are offering D5225 in GSYP and 25042 in BFYE. 

Two nice choices and those who will be familiar with the class on the Crewe-Cardiffs will remember stalwart 25042. As a vacuum only loco it also did a lot of ballast / engineers trips, parcels etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Nice to see the addition of 25043 in green Perfect companion for 25260.

You'll be wanting 25259 and/or 25319 in early blue (4 cabside arrows) to go with those then😉! Maybe 25217 with block serif numbers too, although this Scottish loco moved directly to Laira in late 1975 so maybe not.......

One of my favoured modelling eras due to the variety on offer. I was lineside more often in the early 1970s than at any other time in my life, so witnessed the arrival of TOPS renumbering. Just wish I'd taken more photos with a better quality camera.......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

You'll be wanting 25259 and/or 25319 in early blue (4 cabside arrows) to go with those then😉! Maybe 25217 with block serif numbers too, although this Scottish loco moved directly to Laira in late 1975 so maybe not.......

One of my favoured modelling eras due to the variety on offer. I was lineside more often in the early 1970s than at any other time in my life, so witnessed the arrival of TOPS renumbering. Just wish I'd taken more photos with a better quality camera.......

Thanks but they frequented my local line on diverted freight trains between Toton -STJ in this livery during 1974 & 1975 . Found memories .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a Carlisle person who remembers the sunset of the class, spotting around Carlisle and Kingmoor and having a liking for BR trains of the 80's I am very, very tempted by the Kingmoor twin set.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2023 at 13:06, jjb1970 said:

As a Carlisle person who remembers the sunset of the class, spotting around Carlisle and Kingmoor and having a liking for BR trains of the 80's I am very, very tempted by the Kingmoor twin set.

I’m tempted by this already, but because of price… saving £50 over the two, and it gets 25904.

however ive already got 25912 on order and three 25324’s as the plan was to renumber two as 25/9’s!

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m tempted by this already, but because of price… saving £50 over the two, and it gets 25904.

however ive already got 25912 on order and three 25324’s as the plan was to renumber two as 25/9’s!

25901 and 25909 by any chance 

• Funny 1

A clean sweep of all three available trophies at the Spalding exhibition this weekend underscores the hard work that goes into keeping Mostyn current...including the SLW contribution. The vice chair of south holland district council will be featuring the layout in an article in a local newspaper...

BeRTIe

IMG_6652.jpeg

IMG_6649.jpeg

IMG_6661.jpeg

IMG_6650.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4

3 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

https://railexclusive.com/shop/

Interesting  development , crew fitting service ? 

I emailed them in January this year about these. They said  they were out of stock at the time & usually use these from the following sets, dependent on the era, made by Preiser.  Jennie said if I find a
ready supply of them myself, please do share my source! I replied that it may be worth contacting Modelu who do Accurascale  crews to see if they could do a deal with them! 

image.png

image.png

Edited by mkrob
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had this from SLW on 31/10/23   We’re expecting the delivery with the 25324 BR blue model very soon now, customs clearance allowing, then it’s onto the QC checks hopefully after that we’ll be able to start looking at getting them out to customers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 17/11/2023 at 10:53, Davidjsmith said:

Had this from SLW on 31/10/23   We’re expecting the delivery with the 25324 BR blue model very soon now, customs clearance allowing, then it’s onto the QC checks hopefully after that we’ll be able to start looking at getting them out to customers.

Hopefully arriving with D7599 , after all they were announced at the same time. 

• RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2023 at 10:53, Davidjsmith said:

What form did you get this in, please? Was this an email to all customers, or something SLW said when you enquired. I'm asking because I've never had any communication from them about my order, though they do occasionally send me newsletters referring to me as a "customer". I'm wondering if I did actually order one of the original batch of class 25/3s as I can't find anything in my email inbox. What kind of communication did other people get? - order confirmation? Did they charge a deposit? Thanks.  

EDIT: I've actually found a receipt from Rail Exclusives from March 2021 (and nothing since then!). But it's not clear if payment was taken then, or I'll be charged once the model is in stock - does anyone know? If the latter, I notice the price has gone up by £25, so the next question is: is the pre-order price going to be honoured? My card at the time, like most people's I imagine, has expired - has anyone been contacted for new card details?  

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

I remember phoning Phil  and placing an order for 25324 when it was first announced. He took my credit card details but no deposit. 

I did not receive an order confirmation by e-mail but subsequently have received updates/newsletters by e-mail.

• Thanks 1