The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

One of the problems is that what is actually being tracked and traced is the location of your phone, not you!  One of our secretaries was tracked and traced after playing football, turned out that her jumper (with phone) had been left next to someone else's jumper (with phone) - the two of them had not come into contact at all! 

Son in law we think was the same, bluetooth link with the family next door. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Fenman said:

But unless you want hard borders around those areas with zero cases, pretty quickly they’re going to be as infected as everywhere else?

Paul

We are a dark coloured area, probably due to the two prisons. Even with a hard border (The prison walls) COVID got in, has apparently run rampant and staff have to go in out. Staff and inmates alike have a high % of cases it is being reported.

Italy is getting a further wave; however much we want this lockdown to end and get back to normal it can't be rushed as if it is the last year of precautions will have been wasted as we have to restart the same cycle.

Made the mistake yesterday afternoon of nipping out to pick-up my scrip as the kids piled off the school bus. Group of at least 10, no masks, no social distancing and it isn't just the kids! 

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

From Monday, French pharmacies can inject people in the approved groups. Collecting my meds from the pharmacie today, I asked Stephanie  - Docteur en Pharmacie - if she would be providing the service. Yes, she will, but she has been told her first delivery of vaccine might, at best, be mid-April. Odd, that, because French GPs are up in arms as they had an initial delivery of vaccine, but are unable to order more because it is diverted to the pharmacies.....

Meanwhile in the UK a girl is slain and a serving police officer is charged. But his employer, the Met Police Commissioner, Ms Dick, says Covid issues prohibit the vigil ladies wanted to hold on Clapham Common. The murdered girl was white, middle class, intelligent. Had she been ethnic, I wonder if the response by the Met would have dared be the same? Anyway, the vigil seems to have happened, and no less than the Duchess of Cambridge attended to place a wreath. A strange world. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

From Monday, French pharmacies can inject people in the approved groups. Collecting my meds from the pharmacie today, I asked Stephanie  - Docteur en Pharmacie - if she would be providing the service. Yes, she will, but she has been told her first delivery of vaccine might, at best, be mid-April. Odd, that, because French GPs are up in arms as they had an initial delivery of vaccine, but are unable to order more because it is diverted to the pharmacies.....

Meanwhile in the UK a girl is slain and a serving police officer is charged. But his employer, the Met Police Commissioner, Ms Dick, says Covid issues prohibit the vigil ladies wanted to hold on Clapham Common. The murdered girl was white, middle class, intelligent. Had she been ethnic, I wonder if the response by the Met would have dared be the same? Anyway, the vigil seems to have happened, and no less than the Duchess of Cambridge attended to place a wreath. A strange world. 

That is far better news for you than before, and you must be very relieved to be getting it. Strange that the French are distributing it in single doses, where as in the UK The vials hold 14 doses ?

I guess the Metropolitan Police have to be neutral, they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. Should not matter what colour you are, the law is the same for all. I expect especially in South London those wanting to partake in the vigil would come from the whole of society anyway.

I don't know how much you have seen reported, but I think there may be more to this case, as its reported he was being investigated for exposing himself a few days earlier. And in fact was in one of the elite policing groups. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I guess the Metropolitan Police have to be neutral, they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. Should not matter what colour you are, the law is the same for all. I expect especially in South London those wanting to partake in the vigil would come from the whole of society anyway.

I don't know how much you have seen reported, but I think there may be more to this case, as its reported he was being investigated for exposing himself a few days earlier. And in fact was in one of the elite policing groups. 

On 11/03/2021 at 12:32, hayfield said:

Lets get back to covid related items please

Could we get back to Covid-related discussions...?

Paul

• Funny 1

The lead doctor in charge of our medical centres vaccination process, gave an update today on the villages Covid 19 volunteer face book page.

Double the vaccine supply started this weekend, and its available to the over 55's now plus anyone who has missed out in the earlier groups

I think as a village we may be behind other areas as the population of the locality is of older age groups, still looks like the country is well on the way in offering the over 50's a jab before Easter, especially if vaccine  availability has been increased

• Like 1

Politicians who dithered and hesitated on implementing stringent measures such as lockdowns for fear of upsetting the electorate and risking political suicide should look at the results of yesterdays  State election in Western Australia.

That state implemented vey stringent lockdowns on top of the national one, basically cutting itself off from all other states. all travel into and out of WA was curtailed. Even once covid was down to just the occasional case in an individual state they still stayed shut for longer than the rest of us and are very quick to do snap lockdowns on states who report a single case.

As a result of this, the sitting government was swept back into power with a double digit swing and almost 60% of the primary vote, winning 53 of the 59 lower house seats, even the opposition leader was unseated, and that party now has only one seat left in the Perth area.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

This morning news that a quarantine worker here who recently received their first dose of the pfizer shot has tested positive for the virus.

Shows that until both doses are rolled out things shouldn't be considered back to normal..

Up until then we'd gone 55 days with no cases.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

This morning news that a quarantine worker here who recently received their first dose of the pfizer shot has tested positive for the virus.

Shows that until both doses are rolled out things shouldn't be considered back to normal..

The vaccines don't stop you getting the virus, they stop you getting very ill that's how I see it.

• Agree 9

8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The vaccines don't stop you getting the virus, they stop you getting very ill that's how I see it.

It's not clear yet when he or her  got their shot, i assume it's not instant immunity either.

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Premium

It's noticeable my vaccination centre didn't open at all this week, it's normally been open 5 days a week just closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

It's not clear yet when he or her  got their shot, i assume it's not instant immunity either.

I believe a good couple of weeks before the vaccine reaches efficiency. And, as said, no vaccine is claimed to be 100%, and that isn't actually necessary. Reducing symptoms to those of a heavy cold - or minor flu at the very worst - ensures that hospital treatment will not be necessary, and survival is virtually certain. You don't say whether the worker has symptoms, merely that they tested positive. 

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe a good couple of weeks before the vaccine reaches efficiency. And, as said, no vaccine is claimed to be 100%, and that isn't actually necessary. Reducing symptoms to those of a heavy cold - or minor flu at the very worst - ensures that hospital treatment will not be necessary, and survival is virtually certain. You don't say whether the worker has symptoms, merely that they tested positive. 

When I had my shot 2 weeks ago, I was told it would be 2-3 weeks before maximum immunity would be achieved.  Also told that it doesn't stop you getting it so precautions have to be maintained to minimize transmission.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Before registering in our health centre to have the Jab the doctor was explaining to everyone what to expect protection wise after the Jab

From memory its very little if any protection within the first week after the jab, building up to the maximum protection a single jab gives over the next 2 weeks.

Again from memory and please correct me after 3 weeks most will have sufficient immunity to protect us from a serious infection needing hospitalisation. However I believe its been found the effects of the vaccine increases after 3 weeks  and the delaying of the 2nd dose increases immunity. Even after the second jab some may still become infected, its not 100% effective. But in analysing the "in use" data its seems to be more effective than initially anticipated

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

It's noticeable my vaccination centre didn't open at all this week, it's normally been open 5 days a week just closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I think there has been a slight decline in amounts of vaccine available over the past 2 or 3 weeks, a week to 10 days ago our lead doctor at the health centre stated vaccine availability will be greatly increased, it was confirmed Friday/Saturday double the amount of Vaccines have now started to arrive. I get the impression that the vaccine is made in batches of millions of doses at a time, then over time is bottled and distributed. 

Today someone from the ONS stated that there are extremely high level of antibodies in the over 80's and very high levels of antibodies in the over 70's from recent blood tests, which shows the vaccine roll out is working. Also high rates of antibodies in younger people showing perhaps the virus has been very active in this group .

4 minutes ago, Hobby said:

As we have given more doses of the AZ vaccine than the rest of Europe put together and have suffered no excess blood clot related deaths I do wonder what the EU countries are doing that seems to cause them?

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n699

The BBC are reporting Ireland are thinking of suspending the AZ vaccine pending new information late last night from Norway, it may of course be an issue with a specific batch of the vaccine, rather than the vaccine as a whole.

Given the fact that now we must have administered 20m odd doses of Oxford / AZ vaccines, we must have the best data available on it in real time like Israel has with the Pfizer. 

Reading a few European articles Ireland seem a bit out on a limb with their vaccine regime, they were reported to have received limited doses, they have been asking their European partners for spare unused doses, and seemingly expected the UK to help out a bit ? . 

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The BBC are reporting Ireland are thinking of suspending the AZ vaccine pending new information late last night from Norway, it may of course be an issue with a specific batch of the vaccine, rather than the vaccine as a whole.

Latest news suggest Ireland have stopped the AZ vaccine, meanwhile the WHO says there is no evidence linking blodclots to AZ vaccinations and countries should not be refusing  it.

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

You don't say whether the worker has symptoms, merely that they tested positive

Didn't have any symptoms, received his vaccine 10 days ago, 2nd March, worked his last shift on 6th March. Positive result on 11th March prior to working another shift, so presumably got it sometime between the jab and the 6th since he could only have caught it at work.

51 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Latest news suggest Ireland have stopped the AZ vaccine, meanwhile the WHO says there is no evidence linking blodclots to AZ vaccinations and countries should not be refusing  it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/14/ireland-suspends-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-over-blood-clot-concerns?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

This latest information about potential blood clotting problems, although it's

possibly only a coincidence, is something I have to be concerned about.

I'm booked for my jab on Friday, and as it's a local centre, it'll be the Oxford AZ,

trouble is I have Factor 5 Leiden, so I could be at greater risk of blood clots.

Think I'd better pop down and have a word first.

• Friendly/supportive 2