LMS 'Ferro-Concrete' Coaling Towers and Ash Plants

stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone have any information on which LMS depots received these large concrete structures, like the last remaining examples at Carnforth?

I think they were often referred to as 'Cenotaphs' by the engine men, and were constructed from the 1930s, possibly with some government funding assistance during economic hard times.

It's a bit out of my normal era/area, so any pointers to books or magazine articles would also be helpful too. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Would anyone have any information on which LMS depots received these large concrete structures, like the last remaining examples at Carnforth?

I think they were often referred to as 'Cenotaphs' by the engine men, and were constructed from the 1930s, possibly with some government funding assistance during economic hard times.

It's a bit out of my normal era/area, so any pointers to books or magazine articles would also be helpful too. Thanks.

Rugby for a start, I believe.

Details will be in the LMS Engine Shed books. You should be able to pick the books up for less than a tenner each if you keep watching Amazon and eBay. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bookseries/B0116RQOQ4/ref=dp_st_0906867029

I don't think there was that many of them built before the scheme was stopped due to the war to be honest. Post War ones tended to be the hopper type I think.

Speke's probably a good example. Still had it's LNWR type until 1955 when it received a hopper. I take it that is an ash tower though.

http://www.8dassociation.btck.co.uk/SpekeJunctionLocomotiveShed8C

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a copy of a booklet produced by the Railway Gazette, in 1937, called "London Midland & Scottish Railway, Reorganisation of the Motive Power Department". I won't scan it in & reproduce here, as I am wary of copyright issues, but p9 has a photo of the coaling stage at Rugby, & a list of the following installations & suppliers:-

COALING PLANTS:-

Henry Lees & Co. Ltd: 29 installations at

• Leeds (Farnley)
  • Longsight,
  • Patricroft
  • Buxton
  • Stoke
  • Devons Road
  • Nuneaton
  • Saltley
  • Carlisle (Kingmoor)
  • Derby
  • Peterborough
  • Inverness
  • Carstairs
  • Corkerhill
  • Lower Darwen
  • Bank Hall
  • Lostock Hall
  • Agecroft
  • Aintree
  • Perth
  • Goole
  • RoseGrove
  • Bolton (presumably Plodder Lane?)
  • Bedford
  • Accrington
  • Stafford
  • Mold Junction
  • Camden
  • Huddersfield

Mitchell Engineering Ltd: 9 installations at

• Aston
  • Monument Lane
  • Rugby
  • Newton Heath
  • Holyhead
  • Tilbury
  • Low Moor
  • Hasland
  • Preston

R. Dempster & Sons Ltd: 3 installations at

• Sheffield (Grimesthorpe)
  • Nottingham
  • Leeds (Holbeck)

Babcock & Wilcox Ltd: 1 installation at Springs Branch

Wantage Engineering Co. Ltd: 1 installation at Walsall

Wellam Smith Owen Engineering Corpration Ltd: 1 installation at Bescot

Mayor & Coulson Ltd: 1 installation at Stranraer

Royce Ltd: 1 installation (coal crane) at Lancaster

ASH PLANTS

R. Dempster & Sons Ltd: 13 installations at

• Rugby
  • Monument Lane
  • Edge Hill
  • Leeds (Farnley)
  • Springs Branch
  • Devons Road
  • Newton Heath
  • Bank Hall
  • Lostock Hall
  • Accrington
  • Bedford
  • Preston
  • Nuneaton

Henry Lees & Co. Ltd: 10 installations at

• Buxton
  • Longsight
  • Corkerhill
  • Agecroft
  • Lower Darwen
  • Rose Grove
  • Bolton (presumably Plodder Lane?)
  • Camden
  • Huddersfield
  • Stafford

Babcock & Wilcox Ltd: 14 installations at

• Stoke
  • Derby
  • Leeds
  • Peterborough
  • Saltley
  • Sheffield (Grimesthorpe)
  • Inverness
  • Carstairs
  • Carlisle (Kingmoor)
  • Perth
  • Mold Junction
  • Aintree
  • Goole
  • Low Moor

M.B. Wild & Co. Ltd: 4 installations at

• Patricroft
  • Bescot
  • Wallsall
  • Nottingham

Mitchell Engineering Ltd: 1 installation at

• Aston

Link to the above in Excel spreadsheet form:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K2ePqqoDViwU8n7w0rdlxxs-GVM3CWM-/view?usp=sharing

If you can find a copy of the book on ebay or elsewhere, it's an interesting read, if you're into that sort of thing. There are diagrams & drawings of coaling plants & ash plants, though not of each type, and some photos as well, plus a map showing main & "garage" depots throughout the LMS system, and shedcodes. There's also a map showing plans of the modernised depots at Camden, Longsight & Derby.

Edited by rodent279
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

NB. This

Mayor & Coulson Ltd: 1 installation at Stranraer

was one of the steel hopper plants as per the Ratio kit and as shown above at Speke. These are much smaller than the concrete ones but the Ratio kit has vital parts, especially the control gates for the discharge, missing so needs quite a bit of work.

• Agree 1

Carnforth coaling tower is a grade II listed building , I think for historical reasons rather than for its architectural beauty.

Last time I was there though it was considered unsafe - concrete cancer.

Built I believe by Spencer & Co of Melksham, and reputedly the prototype for models by Superquick & Scenecraft.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

On 27/03/2021 at 14:57, rodent279 said:

I have a copy of a booklet produced by the Railway Gazette, in 1937, called "London Midland & Scottish Railway, Reorganisation of the Motive Power Department". I won't scan it in & reproduce here, as I am wary of copyright issues, but p9 has a photo of the coaling stage at Rugby, & a list of the following installations & suppliers:-

COALING PLANTS:-

Henry Lees & Co. Ltd: 29 installations at

• Leeds (Farnley)
  • Longsight,
  • Patricroft
  • Buxton
  • Stoke
  • Devons Road
  • Nuneaton
  • Saltley
  • Carlisle (Kingmoor)
  • Derby
  • Peterborough
  • Inverness
  • Carstairs
  • Corkerhill
  • Lower Darwen
  • Bank Hall
  • Lostock Hall
  • Agecroft
  • Aintree
  • Perth
  • Goole
  • RoseGrove
  • Bolton (presumably Plodder Lane)

The ferro-concrete coaling tower (and ash plant) was at Bolton Crescent Rd. MPD which was the larger, ex L&Y shed.  It can be seen in the background of the first photo below.  Plodder Lane, the ex LNW shed had a 2 road brick coaling stage with water tank above dating from c.1890. Aintree's coaling plant can be seen behind the WD in the second photo.  Hope this is of interest.

Ray.

Fairbairn Tank Bolton MPD 1958.jpg

CJW1-20 Aintree MPD 5.64.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

The ferro-concrete coaling tower (and ash plant) was at Bolton Crescent Rd. MPD which was the larger, ex L&Y shed.  It can be seen in the background of the first photo below.  Plodder Lane, the ex LNW shed had a 2 road brick coaling stage with water tank above dating from c.1890. Aintree's coaling plant can be seen behind the WD in the second photo.  Hope this is of interest.

Ray.

Fairbairn Tank Bolton MPD 1958.jpg

CJW1-20 Aintree MPD 5.64.jpg

Thanks. I was assuming Plodder Lane, as my dad was shift foreman there in the early 1950's. Unfortunately he's not around to ask anymore.

My uncle's Dad 'Gus' Mercer was a driver at Plodder Lane right up to closure and moved over to Crescent Rd. to work out the last couple of years up to retirement.  I believe my first footplate experience was at Plodder Lane aged about 3.  All I remember was peering into the raging inferno of a 4F firebox and from then on I was hooked!

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 15:09, Grovenor said:

NB. This

was one of the steel hopper plants as per the Ratio kit and as shown above at Speke. These are much smaller than the concrete ones but the Ratio kit has vital parts, especially the control gates for the discharge, missing so needs quite a bit of work.

Don't know how many others of this type existed but Oban and Wick both had them.

• RMweb Gold

The Railway Gazette booklet was published in 1937, so any built after then will not have been captured. In the two years up to WW2, I guess another handful could easily have been built, and I think the LMS/BR restarted installation after the war.

• RMweb Gold

. There are diagrams & drawings of coaling plants & ash plants, though not of each type, and some photos as well

@M Lane Have you seen this thread?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Somewhere in the hoards of railway mags modelling mags someone did a scale drawing of one LMS type 2 ? and printed lots of photographs etc etc. I know cause I started to make one using the drawing, then got involved in something else, and never finished it properly.

20210330_185753.jpg.f5cb897f4e6aef413932bd17cd9d66b3.jpg

I don't know if the scale drawing is accurate but do know slight differences within each type, couple of pathe films on utube show correct coal loading lots of water to keep down coal dust.  With the LNER one of the on shed books mentions that railway companies received government grants, or loans in 1930's in order to reduce labour costs.  Anyone got any pictures of one been built ? assume lots of shuttering, scaffolding etc

On 27/03/2021 at 17:36, Michael Hodgson said:

Carnforth coaling tower is a grade II listed building , I think for historical reasons rather than for its architectural beauty.

Last time I was there though it was considered unsafe - concrete cancer.

Built I believe by Spencer & Co of Melksham, and reputedly the prototype for models by Superquick & Scenecraft.

I'm pretty sure the most Northern control cabin has collaped in it's own space, btween stock. such a shame.