Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 31A said:

I think that was the one I went to, too!

If you saw Gordon hauling 15 coaches (six blue LMR ones and nine blue/grey BR ones) then yes, it probably was!

Edited by St Enodoc
15 not 14

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Maths has clearly changed since I were a lad!

14 = six plus nine?

CJI.

Have a gold star! Original post edited. Pretty sure it was 6 + 9 but after 54 years, who knows? Six Bells Junction https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/690705bp.html doesn't show the train details, only the locos.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

Not rails but many stone block 'sleepers' on Kepwick railway in North Yorkshire a couple of years ago. The railway linked a quarry high on the moors with kilns near what is now the A19. The railway was 4ft6  gauge and horse worked except the self acting incline upto the quarry 

20210727_122104_04.jpg

Edited by russ p
Spelling
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ben B said:

Abandoned rails in the... woods?

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_01.jpg.8e9e3f27754322e064f8d75967a36a3f.jpg

With my family living on Anglesey, at the tail end of the summer we met up with them for a walk along the Dingle nature reserve at Llangefni.  The car park is right next to the old station building, and spotting a gap in the fence, I walked up onto the track.  Normally, I wouldn't walk on a railway, but knowing  there haven't been trains since the 1990's (and with a bridge demolished by a lorry and not replaced by anybody else) it's unlikely there will be another train any time soon... I felt safe enough for a wander.  Remains of the platform at Llangefni above.

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_03.JPG.5985e5482e341ada83ef157f75d3e658.JPG

Bridge at the entrance to the Dingle.

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_04.jpg.b26bd081d0fa9d7e8dd4a4e78f6a7cb3.jpg

And the reason the bridge is very heavily fenced off, the deck is rotten through.

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_05.jpg.1c59f4bc831624487a2d13fa599dfa1c.jpg

A little further in to the reserve, another gap in the fence showed where people have been getting access.  I thought I would, too, being as lots of people were walking their dogs along the line.

For those who might not know about it; The Anglesey Central Railway from Gaerwen to Amlwch was closed to passengers in the 1960's, but the line was retained to serve a chemical works at Amlwch (and, briefly, an oil installation).  When the chemical works switched to road transport in the early 1990's, the line was mothballed.  British Rail looked at reintroducing passenger services, but the run-up to Privatisation complicated matters.  Then a preservation group wanted it, and the negotiations again came perilously close when, again, the privatisation of rail infrastructure got in the way.  Council/Government authority has been flip-flopping between supporting re-opening as a mainline, re-opening as a preserved line, ripping up the tracks so Sustrans can lay a cycle path, or a combination of the 3.  In the meantime, bridges rust (or in one case, get knocked-down a by lorry collision), sleepers rot, and tracks disappear in undergrowth...  except that the preservation group are going to great lengths to keep the tracks cleared and looking like a railway line.

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_07.JPG.ea247ddd827ba20a8dfde44583a79e6b.JPG

Here's something unusual; the lubricator left bolted to the tracks.  Can't recall seeing one of these left in-situ on an abandoned line before.

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_08.JPG.c35b0c12be50374be1c6bed8fc846da9.JPG

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_09.jpg.7fb3e9038e316ce079246f7e8d246198.jpg

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_10.JPG.4f62fd2b0d5fa536ad345b886650f440.JPG

Another bridge; not fenced off this time, but I wasn't about to dare cross it, just in case the deck was as rotten as the one near Llangefni station.

BenBucki_LlangefniRailway_Aug2023_12.JPG.8c25ebafbf13e1f02f98f97e595d0f08.JPG

Honestly, I've seen more overgrown lines on the continent that are still active; there's something really pretty about this line cutting through the woods.  It makes me a bit angry that it's sat there unused, and that the Welsh Assembly Government turned-down re-opening it in the transport review earlier this year (according to a chap I spoke to, in favour of the 'rip it up and tarmac it as a cycle path' option).  Apparently though the preservation group have agreed a 100 year lease on the trackbed; who knows, maybe one day it'll reopen.  Until then, it'll stay looking pretty if slightly melancholy.

The next time I go back to see my parents I'm going to explore the stretch in Amlwch, with the overgrown level crossings on the old light-railway stretch which served the chemical works.

I like that line - I have family living on Anglesey so have explored it a bit over the years. The Dingle section is particularly scenic - it would be great to actually ride a train on it. Maybe one day…

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of sections of Aberdeen tram track that still remain 65 years after the systems closure - both being on the former Sea Beach route.

Part of the route leading to the seafront.   I believe the section used to be longer but a lot was lost when the buildings in the background were constructed......

23-2413.JPG.7100d7b985827724b8b82c53aaeb1c83.JPG

In a somewhat worse state, you can just make out the terminal tracks and a bit of a point down by the Beach Ballroom.......

23-2414.JPG.621785c785c4d706296a0d344778bdca.JPG

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just seen this one in the Disused Stations group on Facebook. Llangeinor on the Tondu to Blaengarw line. Picture from November 2022, but looking back at older images it's obviously got a lot more overgrown in recent years. Theoretically only 'out of use'!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pVCyZWDbCXmSN6dn8

image.png.bb6e14284d8de07656bf0cad1d39ac67.png

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Here's another, Richmond Walk in Plymouth, the remains of the Stonehouse branch. Slightly confusing due to the shadows from boat masts, but definitely rails in the road. There's a very substantial wall across the route to the left side of the road now!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Cr1a85APQRrBUNkf8

image.png.7ce0608d12c2e78d5d6d6a9c45a8ff73.png

image.png.7d8d7d92f22a55ce80b7e7315bca1277.png

Edited by Ramblin Rich
images
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2023 at 20:45, Cowley 47521 said:

Great photos. It’s a bit more overgrown now but a few years ago I did trundle along it in the van one day.

Looks like I wasn’t the only one either…

Last time I passed there was a very large log/tree trunk across the siding to discourage drivers.  The line was concreted to allow tractors to pull or push wagons along it.

You may be interested to know that the mill has been completely removed, the river reinstated and the area undergone an award-winning "Regeneration". 

Some interesting articles HERE  including an aerial film of the location.  Looks like a lot of the internal rail sidings are still there.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/10/2023 at 18:08, Johann Marsbar said:

A couple of sections of Aberdeen tram track that still remain 65 years after the systems closure - both being on the former Sea Beach route.

Part of the route leading to the seafront.   I believe the section used to be longer but a lot was lost when the buildings in the background were constructed......

That's correct - the route continued beyond the building and passed a former tram shed, which is still there today.  This was also the spot where Aberdeen's tram fleet was brought and set alight in May 1958 when the service was ended.  😥

Flickr pic by Raiding The Parks:

Burning of the trams - Aberdeen City UK - May 1958

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Spotted on Otley Road in Leeds yesterday.. newxgas mains being fitted and.. 

IMG-20240209-WA0002.jpeg.2de36540ba9e0775862f4e8bfaae3f10.jpeg

Some tram tracks now visible..

Baz

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 33C said:

Amazing. Any history about their use?

There are similar rails at Bude - which were used for bringing sea sand off the beach, for use inland as soil improver.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 33C said:

Almost archaeological! They are buried deep.

A lot of the tram lines in Leeds are still in situ.. it shows how much carp has been chucked on the roads since the late 1950s...  

Highway engineers generally unaware of them (some aren't aware of what they are mistaking them for "road strengtheners"). Scrape off the debris.. get the trams back from Crich.. add a big battery.. ooh err..  our tram system returns!

Baz

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3