Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Interesting set of wagons, but they could probably do with considerable weathering, as they probably wouldn’t be that clean had they survived to 1953 😉

Surely those liveries  in the film would have been freshly painted in 1953 for the firms in question (had the fictional railway also been running fictional goods trains), the names on the private owners wagons being characters in the film.

The wagons seem expensive for what they are, but I think they will go down extremely well with collectors, and I would not be suprised if the resale ebay prices go quite a bit higher.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

26 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

And The inscription, Empty to Margate,

On the Pearce and Crump scrap carriers open wagon!

I was going to resist, as not relevant to the film - but no longer.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 18:52, Pteremy said:

I was going to resist, as not relevant to the film - but no longer.....

Same here! Genius :D

edit: just took me ages to work out where I had pre-ordered from so putting it here for future reference - Rails of Sheffield.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Didnt dan have a teapot or kettle ?

😃

Well we had to leave something for the modeller....

Also remember that the coach is completely refitted in the hours before the inspection. Most of the inside furniture changes, the bed is gone, the sofa appears, even the lace curtains get swapped for the flower pattern ones!

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

And did his stovepipe chimney inside line up with the crooked chimney on the roof?

(It may well be that it didn't!)

Haha nope - this is the challenge of trying to make 3D sense of something that never actually existed, just like the interior of the buffet car vs the exterior.
The interior shots of Dans House from the soundstage shoot have the stove much further back to allow room for the cast to sit and stand (the camera in the interior shots is often looking through the invisible fourth wall).

When the coach is being used for the exterior shots, you can see there's barely anything inside.

I think they may even have moved the central roof panel to the back of the coach for the interior shoot.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Haha nope - this is the challenge of trying to make 3D sense of something that never actually existed, just like the interior of the buffet car vs the exterior.
The interior shots of Dans House from the soundstage shoot have the stove much further back to allow room for the cast to sit and stand (the camera in the interior shots is often looking through the invisible fourth wall).

When the coach is being used for the exterior shots, you can see there's barely anything inside.

I rather thought that might be the case!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, VIA185 said:

There's a good shot of Midford signal box through the window when Mr. Blakeworth and the barmaid are trying to avoid the Inspector looking out. Was that back projection, I wonder? (CJL)

Yes that's right, I am guessing they shot the plates for the back projection off one of the conflats they hired, which would mean all the coach interiors were shot later.

Even the museum interior where the hearing is held, with the replica 'Thunderbolt' was shot on a soundstage!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Yes that's right, I am guessing they shot the plates for the back projection off one of the conflats they hired, which would mean all the coach interiors were shot later.

Even the museum interior where the hearing is held, with the replica 'Thunderbolt' was shot on a soundstage!

There's a great photo by the legendary Ivo Peters, of a camera mounted on the front platform of the Loriot, presumably for filming the cab scenes. Maybe you should have a version with cameras on, for those who want to model the filming rather than the film?! (CJL)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sort of related, my book on the making of the film is now at the printers, with lots of pictures that relate to these wonderful forthcoming models.

There is a lot of text too, I have drawn a little bit on your interview with Bert and Glyn a little bit Chris, I am so glad that you took the trouble to go and interview them all those years ago.

Here's a preview of the introduction by way of the proof.

IMG_5178.jpg.5b8aff7130849db02a8276dcf0c3e8b4.jpg

If you pm me your home address I will be very happy to send you a copy of the book when I have it, it is just a few weeks away now.

Going back to Dan, Hugh Griffith was apparently a drinking buddy of Dylan Thomas, I guess they might have drunk some tea......

And I can report that the sun has just broken through here in Titfieldshire, here is a view looking down towards Mallingford Junction.

IMG_5188.jpg.fe5e9d82d8668314dcc1a7d369ee85e3.jpg

Mr Valentine is just about to leave his house....

Very Best Wishes

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
to address a dress
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's almost summer, the countryside is verdant and the weather we've had recently has been very 1952-like...

While I have been outside enjoying the greenery and the sunshine I have been reading @Not Jeremy's wonderful new book.

So, I'm feeling fully immersed in the Technicolor world of Titfield at the moment and I'm ready for these lovely models! (But I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.)

Well done @rapidoandy and team and good luck with production!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks fantastic !

Colour representation is always difficult, especially when viewed on a tablet, but to my eyes the buffer beam, frames etc. looked  more of an orangey red in the film.

I don’t know what others think?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1