RMweb

Famous People in Odd Places

A couple of years back, I spotted him in the M&S food hall at Merry Hill. If we could compare dates, we'd know whether he was going up or down in the world!

Must've been around 1994-1995, certainly after the broadcast of the 1st series of "The Smell of Reeves & Mortimer" as I was out shopping with Mum at the time and made the inevitable Cup-A-Soup comment to her.

David

Jim Prior on a New Street to Euston express in 1978. We talked quite a bit about the parlous state of the railways (!) Plus ca change.....

Pete Waterman… at a model railway exhibition!!! ;)

Clint Boon (Inspiral Carpets) in the canteen at Rochdale Art College… well, he was on my course!

Jenny Agutter giving me a nice little wave and a smile as I let her into a traffic queue.

Ian Botham getting very irate on a Surbiton fuel station forecourt. For some reason he wasn't any fuel from his pump,

so he slammed the hose to the ground and screeched off, big time, in his Ford Granada estate! What a nice chap!

A spectacularly drunk Gerard Houllier in the Beehive pub on Paradise Street in Liverpool a few years back. I was on my office Christmas "do", and he had evidently been out on the Liverpool backroom staff do. He was dancing dementedly around at the back of the pub, arms flailing about. Sammy Lee and Ron Yeats came in and (literally) hauled him out of the pub, but a few minutes later he reappeared, closely followed by Sammy and Ron, who hauled him back out again!

Jim

Dave Hill out of Slade in the branch of Sainsbury's in Wolverhampton city centre. Reeves & Mortimer fans may be disappointed to discover that no Cup-A-Soups seemed to have been purchased on that occasion.

Was Dave Hill wearing his glittery Slade stage gear? I'd like to think that he would. Same with Roy Wood of Wizzard.

Was Dave Hill wearing his glittery Slade stage gear? I'd like to think that he would.

Sadly not. If he had been, it would've been a moment worthy of Vic and Bob's sketches. :)

Edit: Not only were there no Cup-A-Soups being bought, but no Fray Bentos tinned pies either;

:)

David

• RMweb Premium

Arthur Brown (from the Crazy World of...) on the steps outside Brighton Aquarium!

Jenny Agutter at Kingscote (Bluebell).

Richard Dimbleby (father of those two boys) on a bog cart just outside east Croydon.

Francis Rossi (from Status Quo) in the hall at a school I taught at (mending a snare drum).

The presenters from Playschool, circa 1982, in the hall in another school I taught at!

Danny Blanchflower (the original football one) on the school field of another school I sort of taught at but mainly did woodwork and games!

Jack Ashley (MP) on the school field of another school in which I spent most of my time not teaching.

The Small Faces, The Searchers, Amen Corner, Marmalade, Adge Cutler & The Wurzels and various other layabouts whilst working on Summer Balls at St Luke's College.

Her Majesty QEII at Epsom Playhouse!!

Surgar at Epsom Racecourse (Horsetan eat your saddle!!!) and no I didn't abduct the beast!

John Renborn and Davy Graham at Exeter Uni.

Corporal Jone's (Clive Dunn) wife at the Kingston Crown Court jury room!

Cliff Richard in a church Hall in Purly!

The new Director of the NRM on Donny Station about two weeks ago!

That's enough for now.

36E

James Bolam at Avebury Visitors center - way back in the 70's - so was a question of us going its him out of the likely lads!

Mark King of Level 42 in Antwerp

Nigel Havers at the Farm Shop on the A4 near Hungerford - we had gone for a ride out int he morgan and someone in the shop assumed as a film star he must be the one with the sports car and lingered by our car hoping to catch him - they were a bit off when we got into it

Lunch with Enoch Powell just 8 of us but as this was at a party conference I guess fails the odd places test

Being stalked by Colin Charvis (Wales Rugby) - we saw him one week in a nightclub in Swansea only to find our selves sat behind home 2 weeks later on an Easy Jet flight back from Barcelona - mind you we didn't challenge him !

Sat in front of Rod Stewart watching Brian Conley in Jolson when it first opened in London - was the night they did "This is Your Life" for Brian Conley and when Rod saw the camera crews he left

A friend though topped all these with his tales

Skiing in the USA and Donald Sutherland in the lift - holding the door open for him and Midge Ure buying him a birthday drink at the bar

On one sunday of our far to frequent sleeper bashing weekends during 99'-00', I woke at bristol to see Richard Wilson of 'one foot in the grave fame' sat opposite me. Rubbing my eyes and sitting up, I must of said something to offend him, as he promptly got up and left. Now I wonder what that could be....

In my defense, there had been consumption of Barny's "Home Brew", and I had not been home in about 3 days...

Regards

Matt

May I add myself to the Dave Hill from SLADE camp, please? In summer 2007 on a mid-morning Wolverhampton - Euston, he was off to a black-tie award do on behalf of the group.

On another Euston - New St Pendo in 2008, Jo Whyley who detrained at MK.

On a Glasgow - Euston MkIII set I was joined by Melvin Bragg in the non-smoking part of BFO 17173 who said 'do you mind if I join you, only the wife's having a smoke: horrible habit!' He did share a bottle of wine with me though - I was on a pass, so made the origin of the vino clear to the TM wink.gif

And then there are the legions of punk luminaries:

Paul Cook having a pint in O'Neills, Euston Road, watching a Crystal Palace game.

Giving Captain Sensible a lift across Edinburgh and winding him up about his fondness for Class 50s.

Giving a random EXPLOITED bassist a lift to the dentist, whilst driving across Edinburgh, earlier the same day!

Asking a taxi driver if he knew the words to 'Ever Fallen In Love' by BUZZCOCKS, because we had Pete Shelley in the cab with us, he did - and we had a karaoke driving through Camden!

• RMweb Premium

I woke at bristol to see Richard Wilson of 'one foot in the grave fame' sat opposite me. Rubbing my eyes and sitting up, I must of said something to offend him, as he promptly got up and left. Now I wonder what that could be....

You're lucky he didn't do this

• RMweb Gold

Melvin Bragg, having breakfast on his own next to our table at a hotel in Edinburgh.

Michael Elphick, coming out the bogs at an Italian restaurant as I was going in the other way.

Suggs from Madness, in the street. (In That London, though, so probably doesn't count)

Given a lift to a member of The Fall - but there probably aren't many people who haven't done

that, given that 56% of the UK population has been in The Fall as of the most recent census.

James Bolam at Avebury Visitors center - way back in the 70's - so was a question of us going its him out of the likely lads!

Mark King of Level 42 in Antwerp

I saw James Bolam too… looking a bit dishevelled and inconspicuous on a platform at Highbury & Islington tube station.

I also saw Level 42's keyboard player, Mike Lindup. We sat at the table next to his in some gastropub in Willesden.

He was with a loud, name-dropping friend and a lady (who could have been his wife) with a vey charming little girl who

kept coming over to chat… but Mike didn't look too impressed… snotty!

Back in 1993, I also had close contact (literally) with F1 drivers, Michael Schumacher, Damon Hill, Rubens Barrichello,

Riccardo Patrese (big time model railway fan), Derek Warwick and Andrea de Cesaris (or de Crasheris as he was known)…

playinig footie at Monza, Italy.

Before the match we were practising and warming up. Someone took a corner and the ball came to me, standing on the

edge of the area and I volleyed it beautifully! Goal-bound, it would have given the keeper no chance but for slamming

into the back of Andrea's head! To say he was pee'd off is an understatement. I've never hear an Italian swear so profoundly

well in English! Very funny though!

During the game I was left in no doubt whatsoever as to Schumy's, er, shall we say 'wnning' mentality!

Rod Stewart & Bruce Dickinson at consecutive IMREXs in the 1980s.

Trevor McDonut, the News at 10 bloke, on the Northern Line sometime in the 1990s when I was working in London.

My (then) wife & I went to see Diesel Park West at The Borderline in London sometime in the 1980s. As we came out this chap said "Good weren't they?" We agreed and as he walked away I realised it was Eric Clapton.

Lemmy in the Duke Of Clarence pub near the Hammersmith Odeon but, as it was rumoured he owned pub anyway, maybe not that odd.

steve

Barbara Windsor walking in Regent' Park lst year. I smiled at her and she smiled back.

David McCallun at the height of his fame, in a stamp shop in the Strand. He collects, or did at the time, British

Mediteranean stamps.

Annette Crosbie in a garden centre, Waterperry. Several times in fact. We sat there saying to each other ' I don't believe it'.

Never met Slade but SWMBO has had a few beers courtesy of Noddy on a flight.

Bernard

Pete Waterman walking into the gents at the NEC saying "cor they are doing good business in here today"

More recently Lewis Hamiltons brother Nick just after I had got off Oblivion with the missus at Alton Towers in May. As I am not the best with rollercoasters I was not in a fit state to say hello

As a freelancer I was frequently asked to work in various offices around London. A mate who I hadn't seen for ages booked me for

a week and on turning up on the first morning he hurriedly greeted me, saying "Grab a cuppa and just make yourself comfortable,

I need to have quick a meeting with our new MD, Jon King."

I was wearing a Gang of Four badge and I joked, pointing at it saying, "What, the lead singer from my favourite post-punk band?"

My mate just looked puzzled and left. Half an hour later I felt someone fumbling with my jacket on the back of my chair… I turned

and it was indeed Jon King from the Gang of Four sneaking a peak at my badge! He seemed genuinely moved to see it and to know

that I was still a fan, as the GoF hadn't performed in ages! We had a good chat and a bit of a laugh from time to time during the week

I was there!

Was Dave Hill wearing his glittery Slade stage gear? I'd like to think that he would. Same with Roy Wood of Wizzard.

Roy Wood lives very near here, and I'm sorry to disappoint, but he tends not to wear the glittery stuff. He is, though, very recognisable, as he still wears the little round dark glasses.

Round these parts, most "celebs" are of the footballing variety. Graham Taylor can often be seen walking his dogs locally, and I nearly bumped into Paul Merson (not Merton...) in Sainsburys last year. Mind you, I bumped into a fellow RMwebber at the same Sainsburys a few weeks back, so you get all sorts...

The late Brian Glover pulling up on the verge outside my house in Cambridge to ask directions...

Ian Lavender used to come into the Ironmongery at Ridgeon's in Cambridge when I worked there.

Travelling from Warrington to Euston, Christopher Timothy came and sat next to me and asked me to help him with his crossword. I sat opposite the late Nigel Hawthorne on a train from London back to Ely one night.

As a student working in Selfridges, London, saw Moira Stuart, John Shrapnel and Roger Moore (who I didn't recognise until someone else snatched his credit card from me at the till and said "I thought it was him").

Another James Bolam sighting which I'd forgotten about till the above posts appeared... saw him and Rodney Bewes laughing their heads off whilst well lubricated, attempting to walk in a straight line down King Street in Hammersmith back in 1984. I've read recently that they didn't see eye to eye after The Likely Lads had finished but it was definitely them!

Nidge wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Another James Bolam sighting which I'd forgotten about till the above posts appeared... saw him and Rodney Bewes laughing their heads off whilst well lubricated, attempting to walk in a straight line down King Street in Hammersmith back in 1984. I've read recently that they didn't see eye to eye after The Likely Lads had finished but it was definitely them!

Nidge wink.gif

As Rodney Bewes lives in our neck of the woods it is not unusual to see him - usually on the train and p*ssed as it happens.

Being a track (the kind you run races on, that is) nut, it would have to be former world mile record holder Derek Ibbotson. My teenaged daughter was puzzled when I mentioned this, though - "But you've met Billy Connolly!" "Ach, but you show me a Scot wha Hasnae met Billy Connolly!"

Archived