RMweb

Famous People in Odd Places

Timothy West on a pelican crossing in Leeds - wish I'd had the presence of mind to say "by the 'eck - it's Bradley Hardaker!". Still one of my favourite ever TV series (Brass, for those who are mystified).

Various folk on Leeds - London trains in my taxpayer-funded first class travelling days, such as David Dimbleby, Richard Whiteley, the first chief executive of the Halifax Bank (can't remember his name, but he was a double for our next door but one neighbour), and my boss and I sharing a restaurant car table with the Utah Saints (both of them). Oh, and Phil Hammond (Private Eye's MD) on a Bristol train.

Roy Wood lives very near here, and I'm sorry to disappoint, but he tends not to wear the glittery stuff. He is, though, very recognisable, as he still wears the little round dark glasses.

Round these parts, most "celebs" are of the footballing variety. Graham Taylor can often be seen walking his dogs locally, and I nearly bumped into Paul Merson (not Merton...) in Sainsburys last year. Mind you, I bumped into a fellow RMwebber at the same Sainsburys a few weeks back, so you get all sorts...

I keep bumping into a fellow RMWebber, not F1 racer Mark Webber, outside Hobbyrail. Wonder if it's the same face tongue.gif

A rather dazed Paul Merson asked me for directions outside The Cup in Sutton a few years back - he was looking for his apartment practically next door, so possibly this was in his difficult period. A decidedly chipper Roy Wood joined our Sunday quiz team for a couple of rounds some years ago at The Crown in Four Oaks, he wasn't as good at pop music as you might expect, but I bought him an ale anyway.

Tony Christie is frequently to be seen in Lichfield. He used to arrive at the pub in an unmissable car with very obvious licence plate; a minder then driving it home with TC following later, in an anonymous saloon. Last sighting was the week Amaretto or whatever it's called, had just gone back to Number One.

As my learned colleague alludes, this is footballing turf. I have no interest in WAGs per se (t'other half might have something to say about it), but when I do the school runs, there's always two or three of their interchangeable number in evidence.

Returning to the pub theme, a refreshed Hannah Waterman bought about six of us at the bar a drink in the pub by Kings Cross' suburban platforms one otherwise unremarkable evening peak in summer 2007.

At uni, a guy with whom I shared a house made a big pan of scouse one Saturday night and Lembit Opik came round for dinner.

• RMweb Premium

Way back in the 70's , Patrick Moore , star gazer , in the public bar of the Queens Hotel in Burnham on Sea , some years later in Weston Super Mare , Barbara Mullen , Dr Finleys casebook , in the Stage Door cafe near the Playhouse Theatre , another time , Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee in an amusement arcade also in Weston .

Best one for me being a motorsport fan , Paddy Hopkirk in the Special Tuning area at the BMC factory in Abingdon , I was complimented on my choice of rally jacket , guess who's brand it was . biggrin.gif Got his autograph too .

It's often pubs isn't it?

Dennis Waterman in the one on Marylebone station in the mid 1980s when I there for Class 20 Society committee meeting. (Didn't speak, he looked a bit miserable.)

(The late) David Byron, ex-lead singer of Uriah Heep in the Red Lion just outside Maidenhead. He lookd surprised when I greeted him and asked how I knew it was him. Must have been in 1983.

steve

• RMweb Gold

The late Ian Carmicheal wandering through the yard at work then heading into the office. He was friends with my former boss.

The guy who plays Marlon Dingle in Emmerdale in my grandparents front room, he was staying in a cottage on the estate.

Richard O'Brian on the concourse at Waterloo (he is tiny !)

Melinda Messenger in Marlborough high street (think she's a local though and also very tiny)

and David Emery (now there was a proper athlete) also on the same morning in Marlborough.

Was at a school ball in Devon recently and Simon Weston was there - didn't talk to him though - what can you possibly say to a guy that's been through what he has without it seeming patronising and nothing he hasn't heard before ?

When I was a kid stayed at grans and we went for a walk from Seacroft to Roundhay park en route stopped and chatted to Jimmy Saville. He lives by the park and was out running. Have met him again but that was when he was one of the guests of honour for the opening of the Engine House along with Sir William McAlpine. Would have ben nice that day if I could have had my Bentley, Sir Jims R-R and Sir Williams Bentley together but I just had mine and Sir Jim's together for the shot.

Sir Jim wasn't going to go for a ride but I suggested that it would be a good idea. I'm probably on many of the photos of him waving off the train as I was guard. He was busy talking to everyone and is the only person that I have not asked to stop smoking on the train.

An ex girlfriend became a WAG for one of the famous Leeds & England players and as her parents live on my street they used to frequently be there. Many of the Leeds footballers live near me and I have often been out walking or cycling and passed the time of day with them. Other not so famous people that live on the same street are Rugby League players with either Leeds, Castleford or Wakefield.

I drink in the same pub as the Pigeon Detectives - they famously used to mouth off at the celebs turning on the light in the village as 3rd rate celebs. They got asked to do it and turned it down as they expect to get similar treatment!

Chris Moyles allegedly also now lives in the village but not seen him yet.

• RMweb Gold

Everywhere has its local celeb, I'm sure. The delicious Virginia McKenna seen pushing her trolley up the car-park at Dorking Sainsbury's, and Michael Buerk walking on Box Hill are two from a year or two back. Working on or near the railway in London, quite common to see the rich and famous out and about, too. John Prescott, Maureen Lippman and husband come readily to mind, while thirty plus year ago, I used to sell Peter Sissons a ticket to London, from Longfield, Kent. Norman Wisdom at an M6 services, looking frail but still stoic with the pestering admirers.

Not as out-of-place as some on this thread, but at least I have a legit picture! Taken Monday afternoon, with the cathedral of Le Mans in the background

Former Government Minister Lord Paul Drayson, the only driver of the 168 at this year's Le Mans 24 hour race with only one eye.

post-4295-12760711507_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

"Ach, but you show me a Scot wha Hasnae met Billy Connolly!"

I did frequently in the 1970s when I was active on the Scottish folk scene - also Barbara Dickson. Mr Connolly and a certain Mr Rafferty made up the Humblebums, and I actually often did floor spots at their gigs. I often had a drink with them, but unforunately, I have now lost the photos.

After they broke up, I watched the first performance of Stealer's Wheel with Billy, and afterwards said "well, that's Gerry sorted, what are you planning to do now?" and his answer was that he hoped to go into comedy as that had always been something he was good at.

I also bumped into Gerry Rafferty in a London pub frequented by musicians one night and he bought me a pint - then told me he had just finished recording what he hoped would be his pension, a track called Baker Street.

• RMweb Premium

[

I also bumped into Gerry Rafferty in a London pub frequented by musicians one night and he bought me a pint - then told me he had just finished recording what he hoped would be his pension, a track called Baker Street.

Now THAT IS a proper celeb. I can remember the first time I heard that superb sax intro as I walked into Rushden Town F. C's bar (after a game I hasten to add) when I actually played football! Happy days! :D

36E

...and David Emery (now there was a proper athlete) also on the same morning in Marlborough.

David Emery? Er... probably not Dick Emery; You must mean David 'emery - I mean David Hemery. I did see David Hemery on Princes Street while the 1970 Commonwealth Games were on in Edinburgh, and overheard an elderly lady nearby comment to her friend: "Oh look, David Hemery! A nice young man, that!" But, as Jim Alder (1966 Commonwealth Marathon gold medallist, who gave me a lift from just outside Edinburgh down to Morpeth in my hitchhiking days) said: "Well, I've tried and tried but I can't find anything you wouldn't like about Hemery!"

I'm still none the wiser...but I do know who Timothy West is. :blink:

steve

1980s p*ss take on Grim Up North dramas, featuring the rich Hardaker family, who owned the mine, mill and munitions works, and the poor Fairchild family, workers in the above. "Red" Agnes Fairchild was famously the custodian of Keir Hardie's cap.....

There is a link to model railways - the setting was the town of Utterly, which was to be the name of John Emerson's follow-up to Hayley Mills, before he went with Gifford Street.

Bit of a cheat this but, in my time in Ticket Offices I have served amongst others...

Damon Albarn and his dad - Nice bloke

George Melly

Michael Foot (and his dog - Hellfire bloke)

Andrew Sachs

Rose-Marie Ford (Generation Game/Come Dancing)

Anneka Rice

Malcolm Mclaren :angry:

Jeff Banks (Don't get me started on him... suffice to say that family and some friends have boycotted his products ever since)

Barry McGuigan (sp?)

Jenny Agutter (Odd Experience - kept thinking about the shower scene in American Werewolf in London :lol::blink::blink:)

Sadly didn't get to serve Andy Fletcher from Depeche Mode but had to do a double take as I walked past the window he was stood at.

Outside of the work environment:

George Melly - Saw him sat on Pl.5 at Reading, and having served him before I went up for a chat. It went somethng like this:

"Mr Melly?"

"Ahhh my dear boy, have a seat..."

We had a chat about were he was playing at the time. Great bloke.

Last year saw James May driving through Hammersmith but as I had enjoyed a number of "Leisure Units" the best I could slur was "Bloody Hell, it's James May".

I look back on that moment and cringe. :lol:

Johnny Ball driving a 5" gauge loco on the social club track at Wylfa nuclear power station about 10 years ago.......photos to prove it if I can find it!

David Beckham (with Brooklyn) at the Trafford Centre in 2002.....not that unusual I supposewink.gif

BL

Just remembered that I was on a train from Leeds to K+ some time ago and (King?) Arthur (Scargill) walked past my table.

Not met the guy but whenever I have been to India the locals mistake the way I talk for Geoffrey Boycot - well he lives about 6 miles from me!

David Emery (now there was a proper athlete).

I thought he was awful - but I still liked him.

Sorry, someone's already done the Emery/Hemery joke...

A decidedly chipper Roy Wood joined our Sunday quiz team for a couple of rounds some years ago at The Crown in Four Oaks, he wasn't as good at pop music as you might expect, but I bought him an ale anyway.

That was often the best place to spot him - was this before or after they completely ruined renovated the place?

• RMweb Gold

Claire Rayner and Barry Norman at my University (UEA, Norwich), both parent of students in my year. I seem to remember that Claire Rayner used to send very tasty cakes to her son (who was in the room next door to me).

The most unexpected was at Dinas on the Welsh Highland Railway in September 2000. I was sitting in the old WHR carriage 23 waiting for the evening members train to depart when Frank Thornton (Captain Peacock in Are You Being Served / Truly in Last of the Summer Wine) got into the same compartment.

Martin

I once bumped into Steve Backley (spear-thrower) - almost literally - in a sports centre doorway at Loughborough University. Not that surprising, I guess, as we were both students there at the same time (me doing a "proper" subject, of course, and him doing a degree in pointy stick-chucking).

Oooh, I just remembered I followed Tiff Needell once who was test driving some big blue sports car with the camera hanging out the back of the Range Rover in front of him. Never did see it on TG (for that's what he was presenting at the time), although I suspect the footage was rendered useless by some moron driving in the background continually pointing at both Needell and the camera car to an oblivious 'who? what?' girlfriend in his passenger seat...

• RMweb Premium

Oooh, I just remembered I followed Tiff Needell once who was test driving some big blue sports car with the camera hanging out the back of the Range Rover in front of him. Never did see it on TG (for that's what he was presenting at the time), although I suspect the footage was rendered useless by some moron driving in the background continually pointing at both Needell and the camera car to an oblivious 'who? what?' girlfriend in his passenger seat...

I saw him as well when I lived in Norfolk in a cottage that was once owned by the late Colin Chapman (Lotus Cars) and the Top Gear team were filming one of the new Lotus cars on the road past our house - which also had another celebrity connection - when Colin Chapman owned it, he lent it to his mate, Dennis Waterman, who used it as a bolt hole while he was having him (later) much publicised affair with Rula Lenska.

Liz Bonnin from Bang goes the theory, in the subway a Bristol Temple Meads last night. By the look on her face, she must have stepped in something nastyohmy.gif

Not an unusual place to see them, but back in 1985 a group of us went into the restaurant in the paddock behind the old pits at Le Mans. We were sta down at the end of a long table and just as our meal arrived in came the works Porsche team, drivers, mechanics and managers and sat next to us. I was rather flattered to be sat next to Jacky Ickx with Derek Bell opposite, together with Jochen Mass and Hans Stuck. We ended up chatting to them for a couple of hours. A realy nice bunch of people with absolutely no egos. In the end we forgot to ask for autographs, but they did share there wine with us and bought us a few beers. I should add the none of the drivers had any alcohol that night.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure how I forgot the best of the lot.

I was at the press preview of RailFest at the NRM (was it 2004?) having lunch in the Peter Allen building when David Shepherd sat down at my little table. Now that's a real famous person in my book!

He was having a good moan about the NRM team that had unloaded 'Black Prince' and managed to break the glass in one of the tender spectacle plates. He was seriously miffed and threatening to go take a screwdriver to 'Evening Star' in the Great Hall to go get a replacement! Top bloke and a nice chap to talk to.

Archived