Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Callow Lane - ex-Midland freight-only line in South Gloucestershire

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking at the photos, I'm of course impressed by the standard of this layout as of all your modelling, @Captain Kernow. My only niggle, as an out and out Midland nerd, is that I don't think I see anything that establishes it as a specifically Midland location - or am I missing something?

There are now one or two clues in the photos that I've re-posted on page 1 of this thread!

• Like 3

Really excellent modelling Captain, the style of the buildings reminds me of exploring the remains of Coalville Town when I was a kid. We were about twelve and trying to figure out how we could uproot a Midland Railway gas lamp post!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Due to the various low relief buildings that I have deliberately placed along the back edge of the layout, the actual backscene will probably be some photos of distant buildings glued to a sky backscene and the whole lot possibly laminated with a matt finish (if my local copy shop can do this). This is a trial montage, which I was quite pleased with:

20211122_155916.jpg.88d7e2fe55c188032747d4c30ce0fc60.jpg

Not only is that a nice composition but you appear to have achieved a good match with colour and tone, minimising the step between stronger foreground colours and paler background ones. 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Been doing some small layout details, seen here hanging up ready for spraying with primer:

I think this is my favourite bit - sets the scene and brings everything to life....

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Bath Road's D6347 has arrived at Callow Lane with some ballast hoppers and is proceeding to indulge in a spot of shunting:

20221202_163430_bw.jpg.8f71dd1fefa6992e0890c5a9bde30c05.jpg

What's the heritage of that diseasel thingy, is it Dapol jobby or something else?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

More views of the Class 22 and ballast hoppers:

My favourite diseasel (why I asked of the provenance earlier).  I have the Dapol version and the retooled one on order from Kernow.  It all stems from a photo of one coming off the Bodmin line at Bodmin Road, with a crew that would have looked equally at home on a kettle.

Fantastic work Sir, and always an inspiration 👍 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2022 at 14:25, Captain Kernow said:

My Silver Fox Class 22 pre-dates the Dapol release, although I later bought one for Callow Lane in BR blue, seen here on the layout prior to much of the recent scenic work being done:

20210727_113121.jpg.7c59b51e62c790ec78060c66a93e2194.jpg

They're a favourite of mine as well!

Lovely stuff, Tim. It has a very natural look. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...