Callow Lane - ex-Midland freight-only line in South Gloucestershire

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking at the photos, I'm of course impressed by the standard of this layout as of all your modelling, @Captain Kernow. My only niggle, as an out and out Midland nerd, is that I don't think I see anything that establishes it as a specifically Midland location - or am I missing something?

There are now one or two clues in the photos that I've re-posted on page 1 of this thread!

• Like 3

Really excellent modelling Captain, the style of the buildings reminds me of exploring the remains of Coalville Town when I was a kid. We were about twelve and trying to figure out how we could uproot a Midland Railway gas lamp post!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Due to the various low relief buildings that I have deliberately placed along the back edge of the layout, the actual backscene will probably be some photos of distant buildings glued to a sky backscene and the whole lot possibly laminated with a matt finish (if my local copy shop can do this). This is a trial montage, which I was quite pleased with:

20211122_155916.jpg.88d7e2fe55c188032747d4c30ce0fc60.jpg

Not only is that a nice composition but you appear to have achieved a good match with colour and tone, minimising the step between stronger foreground colours and paler background ones. 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Been doing some small layout details, seen here hanging up ready for spraying with primer:

I think this is my favourite bit - sets the scene and brings everything to life....

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Bath Road's D6347 has arrived at Callow Lane with some ballast hoppers and is proceeding to indulge in a spot of shunting:

20221202_163430_bw.jpg.8f71dd1fefa6992e0890c5a9bde30c05.jpg

What's the heritage of that diseasel thingy, is it Dapol jobby or something else?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

More views of the Class 22 and ballast hoppers:

My favourite diseasel (why I asked of the provenance earlier).  I have the Dapol version and the retooled one on order from Kernow.  It all stems from a photo of one coming off the Bodmin line at Bodmin Road, with a crew that would have looked equally at home on a kettle.

Fantastic work Sir, and always an inspiration 👍 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2022 at 14:25, Captain Kernow said:

My Silver Fox Class 22 pre-dates the Dapol release, although I later bought one for Callow Lane in BR blue, seen here on the layout prior to much of the recent scenic work being done:

20210727_113121.jpg.7c59b51e62c790ec78060c66a93e2194.jpg

They're a favourite of mine as well!

Lovely stuff, Tim. It has a very natural look. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...