Callow Lane - ex-Midland freight-only line in South Gloucestershire

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

I apologise unreservedly about the Cameo photograph and wish to make amends with a pre-1897 photograph of your home town (?) railway station.

1597725885_BathSpaPre1897.jpg.9e56d86086d5bb41e512fb8da91f9fa9.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
Hymeks
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I apologise unreservedly about the Cameo photograph and wish to make amends with a pre-1897 photograph of your home town (?) railway station.

That's exactly what I wanted to make before the 7mm bug bit me. Lovely detailed scene worth modelling.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Yes, Mr Dubya, correct location.

But you'd never know that this was Bath Spa, looking at this very interesting photo (wot I've never seen before, guv'nor). It all looks rather Grim and Up North from this angle.

• Agree 4

23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, Mr Dubya, correct location.

But you'd never know that this was Bath Spa, looking at this very interesting photo (wot I've never seen before, guv'nor). It all looks rather Grim and Up North from this angle.

Looks quite t'southern and t'affluent to me tha' knows.

There is something about the space and lack of smoke that means it cannot be a Northern city or large town.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I'd like to register a complaint. The excessive distraction caused by that photograph and my need to acknowledge it, caused a distraction which led to my rice pudding catching on the bottom of the pan.

Luckily the generous application of blackberry splodge has somewhat ameliorated the ensuing ghastliness.

Please be more careful next time... 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

10 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Actually, I'd like to register a complaint. The excessive distraction caused by that photograph and my need to acknowledge it, caused a distraction which led to my rice pudding catching on the bottom of the pan.

Luckily the generous application of blackberry splodge has somewhat ameliorated the ensuing ghastliness.

Please be more careful next time... 

So what you're trying to say in layman's terms....you nearly Bu@@ered up your food !

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Quite alright Tim, it was a great picture.

I have that last picture, but very nice too see it again though.

Funnily enough, the "Lark Ascending" was on the radiogram earlier, which reminded me of a weekend during which I waited a very long time for CK. As ever, not content with the "standard fare" that us plebs had gone for, he had ordered something challenging in a take-away in Folkestone in 1999, the "Lark Ascending" being listened to in full on the van radio while he was specifying kebabs or whatever.

What has this got to do with anything I hear you ask? Well, it's a culinary connection, having consumed whatever he'd got them to concoct (and it wasn't rice pudding) CK thereafter came down with some dreadful ague which involved groaning, a lack of breakfast, an inability to run any trains and finally (very unwisely we all felt) giving himself up to the tender mercies of the St John Ambulance.

What larks.

He recovered in time to go home, but only after we had operated all his ruddy trains, including packing them all away and dismantling and readying for transit the fabled "Engine Wood".

He was at least good enough to acknowledge that we had managed to pack it up very well, which was nice of him....

We had a jolly run home thereafter though, calling in at the KESR and stopping in Winchester where CK performed his other trick of "proxy retail therapy" in persuading me to buy one of those new fangled and highly priced Lima railcars!

Happy daze...

Edited by Not Jeremy
further germaine details
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Funnily enough, the "Lark Ascending" was on the radiogram earlier, which reminded me of a weekend during which I waited a very long time for CK. As ever, not content with the "standard fare" that us plebs had gone for, he had ordered something challenging in a take-away in Folkestone in 1999, the "Lark Ascending" being listened to in full on the van radio

Oddly enough, I was also listening to that fantastic piece of music the other night and it usually brings me back to 'that weekend', if for no other reason that it seemed to be that Not Jeremy was undergoing a 'journey of musical discovery', with which I was very happy to assist and participate.

while he was specifying kebabs or whatever.

What has this got to do with anything I hear you ask? Well, it's a culinary connection, having consumed whatever he'd got them to concoct (and it wasn't rice pudding) CK thereafter came down with some dreadful ague which involved groaning, a lack of breakfast, an inability to run any trains and finally (very unwisely we all felt) giving himself up to the tender mercies of the St John Ambulance.

He recovered in time to go home, but only after we had operated all his ruddy trains, including packing them all away and dismantling and readying for transit the fabled "Engine Wood".

Indeed. The less said about that weekend, the better. I should have just gone back to the B&B and gone back to bed. Older and wiser now, I would hope!

dismantling and readying for transit the fabled "Engine Wood".

He was at least good enough to acknowledge that we had managed to pack it up very well, which was nice of him....

I will admit to having been most pleasantly surprised by this. This had nothing to do with any perceived lack of expertise or care on the part of Not Jeremy and Doug, plus Doug's son, who constituted the brave operating team that weekend, but because I incorporate stupidly fragile details on layouts in positions that could easily cause damage, if care is not taken, including (and mostly) by myself. I'm still doing it, although I try to protect the layouts better now.

So yes, full marks to all of them. I was very grateful.

What larks.

Happy daze...

Well, we all have our own take on these things!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Captain Kernow changed the title to Callow Lane - ex-Midland lines in South Gloucestershire
On 28/10/2021 at 19:48, Not Jeremy said:

Wow!

It took me a while to see where that was - helluva mill!

Do you mean it's gone?

Oh yes, it isn't here in my picture of 1978!

Bathampton toll Bridge 1 June 1978 128-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

29 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Yes, his gas powered jacuzzi.  

I have found by eating a large tin of baked beans and sitting in a hot bath you get a similar result .

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, bgman said:

I have found by eating a large tin of baked beans and sitting in a hot bath you get a similar result .

Would these help increase the 'power' output of said device?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1