Callow Lane - ex-Midland freight-only line in South Gloucestershire

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tim, I had found similar photos of Winchcombe on line and they were very helpful.

I've since added some lead flashing around the base of the chimney on the model, forgot to put it on prior to taking photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tim V said:

Coincidentally, I've just scanned this picture of Winchcombe from 2002, followed by the same place pre-preservation in 1980.

616178506_Winchcombe9-1-2002OM159S-(1).jpg.32f8b80740e2aef6512e528c51220519.jpg

I see the preservationists didn't understand the function of the buildings they're preserving!

Nice shin-banging guard rail. I'm pleased to see that this is an example where the bullhead rail is laid sideways - other examples I've seen it's vertical, which would make forming the bend much harder...  (Got to make one for the club layout...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I see the preservationists didn't understand the function of the buildings they're preserving!

Nice shin-banging guard rail. I'm pleased to see that this is an example where the bullhead rail is laid sideways - other examples I've seen it's vertical, which would make forming the bend much harder...  (Got to make one for the club layout...)

It's not too hard to bend rail in the vertical. This started off as a big ugly piece of Peco code 100, I filed it into bullhead before putting the short end in the vice and cold bending. I was expecting to have to heat it, but it's not necessary. It should be easier with a length of scale bullhead.

IMG_20211213_184506.jpg.2057b858541c875562b5ac4734e121de.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oooh........There's nice, izzenit, look ewe. 

R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm liking the way you bed in your buildings. There are too many examples of beautifully made buildings just plonked onto the ground cover leaving a gap and totally spoiling the whole effort.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking at the photos, I'm of course impressed by the standard of this layout as of all your modelling, @Captain Kernow. My only niggle, as an out and out Midland nerd, is that I don't think I see anything that establishes it as a specifically Midland location - or am I missing something?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, there are more details to be added, such as signals and a Midland yard crane. The other scenic board will have more Midland details, including signal box.

Will look forward to that!

• Like 2

I don't know how I missed this thread. Excellent stuff, Tim!

Would it be possible to re-post some of the earlier photos lost in the RMweb outage- in particular the location map -  please? I walked along the trackbed of the line near Westerleigh North earlier this year. A really interesting area, still with railway usage to the oil terminal, including a MR milepost showing the miles from Derby.

P1330788 (2).JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Would it be possible to re-post some of the earlier photos lost in the RMweb outage- in particular the location map -  please?

Hi Peter,

I've posted some photos and the location map, on the first page of the thread, but unfortunately I don't have time right now to go through the rest of the thread to reinstate the other photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2