Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

I have to wonder if that class would have faded into obscurity entirely were it not for Awdry- I certainly have an affection for the type based off the stories.

Years ago I remember a writer of railway mag articles commenting on the irony that, to many foreign fans of the Thomas stories that he'd met, BoCo represented to them the absaloute modernity of British diesel locomotives thanks to the books/tv series :)

Well, there was the Hornby Dublo model that Awdry took the idea of Boco from....

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1952/hornby_dublo_oo_class_28?instock=true&onorder=true&soldout=true

Virtually everything that was in The Railway Series was taken from models he had.

I was never into TTTE and even I knew what a CoBo or Class 28 was!

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sounds interesting - have you been in one?

No - but persons who have been, have stated the fact, and study of the drawings confirms this.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was the only BR loco with outward opening doors - there was no room to open inwards and there was a large casing in the middle of the cab covering the mechanical radiator fan drive.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Ben B said:

I have to wonder if that class would have faded into obscurity entirely were it not for Awdry- I certainly have an affection for the type based off the stories.

Years ago I remember a writer of railway mag articles commenting on the irony that, to many foreign fans of the Thomas stories that he'd met, BoCo represented to them the absaloute modernity of British diesel locomotives thanks to the books/tv series :)

Quite a few years ago I heard about an interesting conversation regarding 5705 and a visit from a rep from the company who had the rights to TTTE at the time. 
TTTE rep: I can see why they only built 20 of them, they are rather ugly aren’t they?

28 bloke: Erm there’s a few other reasons… 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2024 at 08:04, big jim said:

that line is now a foot and cycle path into Glasgow, had a look on my strava and I rode it back in 2022 all the way from arrochar and tarbet on the west highland line, 40 miles (and it rained all day!) 

here’s a screenshot of part of the map the top yellow arrow is where the first pic is and the bottom one the 2nd pic, a bit further along the old trackbed there are quite a few of the famous Glasgow pigeon lofts 

IMG_5507.jpeg.161780787f2e500d6b46660f256b444a.jpeg

in fact I’ve just realised this pic is the bridge the 08 is passing over looking in the opposite direction to the old picture 

A5DCC8FB-B625-4B12-95A2-ADB4EF95D355-73941-00001BF754F498A6.jpeg.99558bb3e12a5c609490a69f0bf0a49e.jpeg

F you are interested in this line check out this guys photo montages on You Tube

https://youtu.be/FCoo1E0PLEE?si=4TdqZfvd-5FunM-w

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/03/2024 at 20:27, MattR said:

The long barrow crossing over all that complex trackwork is very inspiring! Make me want to try my hand at something like that on my layout (there's not nearly that much track, though).

Damn! I forgot to email Peco on 1st April, to ask when their new Streamline Mixed Gauge track is being released.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, lmsforever said:

What has repled the crossing and has the litter gone ?

A very expensive new footbridge, I like it but it’s not universally popular here. Almost every building in that photo has gone, a new station/bus station and platform appeared and most of the town centre rebuilt.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Notice by this time (after 1982?)

a) Red indicator lights finally allowed to be used instead of an oil lamp on DMUs

b) Two red lights used. Initially, only a Royal Train was authorised to use two tail lamps but the cl.27 Edin-Glas push-pulls (and later cl.47+DBSO sets) also used two 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Terminal Decline At Bridport

This image was taken on Agfa CT18 film on 1 April 1975 and shows a single-unit railcar (Class 121, I believe) awaiting a morning departure back to the mainline, stopping at delightfully named stations such as Toller.

• Like 14