Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Still not as popular as the Posh People can Burn Pensioners  (and people that look  like Harry) Scheme.

medical.jpg.20bc88426c11e6c4bc4a5db59876c107.jpg

Just to be clear, my "like" is for the photo, not the comment about 'burning pensioners' - now that I am one! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iands said:

Just to be clear, my "like" is for the photo, not the comment about 'burning pensioners' - now that I am one! 

I burnt out long ago.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/07/2022 at 16:33, keefer said:

Interesting loads for your low-loaders! Just shows how large wagons actually are, i think you lose the idea of scale when they're in a train.

49757668768_d7b68c2d40_b.jpgJuly 1998 Burntisland by Ian Addison Collection, on Flickr

Hello All, what I think is bizarre is that railway wagons are transported on low loader semi trailers, when they should be running on the rails, Regards Tumut

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

On 15/07/2022 at 04:40, stewartingram said:

In US terms it is a slug. That's where all the power is coming from.

Hello All, a Brake tender is filled with scrap metal, and its dead weight is intended to assist with the lightweight (compared to a steam loco) diesel to assist with braking, whereas a slug retains its former locomotive traction motors, which are powered by the attached hauling locomotive  to assist with low speed haulage, regards Tumut

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Steam Museum, English Heritage or Historic England?

Historic England. Sadly the interior of the old drawing offices was more or less gutted when BR closed-up shop. But a few reminders remain. For instance, any fixture or fitting that could be at risk of being stolen back-in-the-day is still stamped 'GWR'. Everything from the door handles to the underside of the toilet seats (reference photo for the latter definitely not attached!).

Edited by Forward!
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tumut said:

Hello All, what I think is bizarre is that railway wagons are transported on low loader semi trailers, when they should be running on the rails, Regards Tumut

These were wagons involved in a derailment on the Scottish ECML, so clearing & repairing the line would be the first priority. Also probably unfit for removal by rail, certainly not without full inspection & repair.

Ooops  56067 and its derailed train

© Ian Addison on Flickr

Edited by keefer
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

14 hours ago, keefer said:

These were wagons involved in a derailment on the Scottish ECML, so clearing & repairing the line would be the first priority. Also probably unfit for removal by rail, certainly not without full inspection & repair.

Ooops  56067 and its derailed train

© Ian Addison on Flickr

If my history is correct this was virtually same site as a fatal accident involving NBR Atlantic on an express working. 

It resulted in extensive coal rails on some the locomotive tenders.

IMG_4550.jpeg

IMG_4551.jpeg

Edited by DOCJACOB
Extra information
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 15/03/2024 at 23:21, Steven B said:

Leaky steam heating pipes always add to the atmosphere. The mixed passenger/freight train could also qualify this image for a prototype for everything. Nice short train and perfectly modellable too!

40340668764_ef46ab40d9_z.jpg

Steam train by Jjm2009, on Flickr

Steven B

Hello All, hmmm, flammable oil tanker next to a passenger coach without a barrier wagon ! And empty Petrol wagons are far more dangerous than full ones due to flammable gas remnant in the tank, or is this part of a shunting move ? regards, Tumut.

17 hours ago, Tumut said:

Dft answer to WCML freight path congestion?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tumut said:

Hello All, hmmm, flammable oil tanker next to a passenger coach without a barrier wagon ! And empty Petrol wagons are far more dangerous than full ones due to flammable gas remnant in the tank, or is this part of a shunting move ? regards, Tumut.

If you search the forum for mixed highland oil, you'll find some references to these trains, which were a feature of the West Highland Line. They apparently conveyed diesel which is presumably why there are two colours of tank wagon in that photo.  A further search will uncover info on Class A and Class B tanks, liveries and the carriage of diesel.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tumut said:

Not long ago a four car EMU went past my house on low loaders!

I assume they were off to Allerton.

Jason