Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

On 18/03/2024 at 10:22, franciswilliamwebb said:

The Government's 'Kids for Coal' trade-in scheme exceeded even the most optimistic forecasts.

Was that before or after they introduced the Chimney Sweeps scheme?

• Funny 2

12 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Caption contest time....

Baron St Works 2022 by cw_315

D5705 & 68031

"Which of us d'you reckon will have the shorter working life?"

• Funny 5

In a tense contest today, a panel of expert judges attempted to decide which of the finalists would take home the coveted crown as “Britain’s Ugliest Diesel Locomotive”.

So close was the ballot that the chairman, Sir Vernon Windbag-Aesthete,  was forced to use his casting vote, declaring: “My decision is that that thing on the right, whatever is, is the winner, because whoever designed it clearly made a stupendous effort to achieve extreme unpleasantness, right down to the clever way in which the livery is used to emphasise its worst features, which is a stroke of genius. It almost hurts to look at it, which is perhaps the highest accolade that I can bestow.

The runner-up is undoubtedly a very strong contender indeed, but doesn’t quite reach the heights, because it conveys a slight impression that it’s ugliness is more the result of omission, that the designer simply couldn’t be bothered to make it beautiful, than of deliberate design decisions, although I do appreciate that stupefying dullness is a worthy quality in itself.”.

The winning locomotive will now go on to compete against machines from all over Europe, including the renowned former Eastern Bloc classes that have made such a strong showing in previous years.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

68s ugly?  😲

Someone needs to go to Specsavers. Probably the finest looking engines built since the end of steam.

Sorry, that broken nose reminds me of a bottom-of-the-bill boxer!

CJI.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

68s ugly? 

Is that what it is. I’ve seen them about on the railway, I think even ridden behind (or in front) of them on Chiltern, but wasn’t even moved to google them.

Edited by Nearholmer

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

68s ugly?  😲

Someone needs to go to Specsavers. Probably the finest looking engines built since the end of steam.

Best sounding loco since the class 56.

Rob

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

In a tense contest today, a panel of expert judges attempted to decide which of the finalists would take home the coveted crown as “Britain’s Ugliest Diesel Locomotive”.

And the nominations are ....

LMS / Fell experimental Diesel Loco 10100 .

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

And the nominations are ....

LMS / Fell experimental Diesel Loco 10100 .

Now that is no-compromise, utiltarian, raw brute power - and you needed to be a contortionist to get into the driver's seat!

CJI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I have the vague memory I might have posted this before, but I think it's worth a second look.

D5717 Derby 8/7/60 MM 244

‘FFS Boco, when I said follow Oliver everywhere he goes I didn’t mean it literally’ said the Fat controller.

In all seriousness whereabouts is that? A very interesting photo. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

‘FFS Boco, when I said follow Oliver everywhere he goes I didn’t mean it literally’ said the Fat controller.

click on the photo and it takes you to Flickr with a caption (it’s derby)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Three views on the former Caledonian system that duplicated the North Brirish line between Glasgow and Dumbarton

Meadowside Granary, built between 1911 and 1967 and said to be the largest brick-built structure in Europe.

GO1049 08 on trip near Meadowside Granary ca 1980-85

Scotstoun West, with Albion lorry factory beyond

GO0898 Kingsway Glasgow Partick Central to Yoker Yard mt oil tanks Jan 1978

that line is now a foot and cycle path into Glasgow, had a look on my strava and I rode it back in 2022 all the way from arrochar and tarbet on the west highland line, 40 miles (and it rained all day!) 

here’s a screenshot of part of the map the top yellow arrow is where the first pic is and the bottom one the 2nd pic, a bit further along the old trackbed there are quite a few of the famous Glasgow pigeon lofts 

IMG_5507.jpeg.161780787f2e500d6b46660f256b444a.jpeg

in fact I’ve just realised this pic is the bridge the 08 is passing over looking in the opposite direction to the old picture 

A5DCC8FB-B625-4B12-95A2-ADB4EF95D355-73941-00001BF754F498A6.jpeg.99558bb3e12a5c609490a69f0bf0a49e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

I have to wonder if that class would have faded into obscurity entirely were it not for Awdry- I certainly have an affection for the type based off the stories.

Years ago I remember a writer of railway mag articles commenting on the irony that, to many foreign fans of the Thomas stories that he'd met, BoCo represented to them the absaloute modernity of British diesel locomotives thanks to the books/tv series :)

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 20:33, cctransuk said:

Now that is no-compromise, utiltarian, raw brute power - and you needed to be a contortionist to get into the driver's seat!

Sounds interesting - have you been in one?