Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

I have also posted this in the Scottish Region photos thread, that was because I was hoping to see some suggestions about the reasoning behind the composition.

I'm posting it here as well because it fits the thread criteria and because I think it is interesting.

A DBSO seemingly acting as a BSO in an Edinburgh-Inverness train being hauled by a 47/7:

RAIL - DIESEL - CLASS 47 - 47704 HEADING AN EDINBURGH TO INVERNESS SERVICE - PERTH - 010886 - WB

(Copyright Walter Burt flickr)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That is a gem of a picture montyburns56.

I am pretty sure that the van is an ex CR Dia 101. Build dates vary from 1912 to 1920. The lower section  of the end doors folds down for loading of motor cars or similar from an end dock. 

Full details pp 205-206 of "Caledonian railway wagons " by Mike Williams. 

Note also the crossover is sitting on its original interleaved sleepers. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I though it was interesting that there are two switches immediately either side of the turntable, which could have been avoided if individual wagons were being moved by horse or manpower - the tracks could just have converged on the turntable instead. Their presence here suggests that trains of wagons were shunted over the turntable and probably locos too. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

The colours in that pic are great. On the LHS it's whites and greys (inc the wagons) while from the centre to the RHS it's brown/green/blue.

And a bright orange Luton van with a Bowie 'flash' that just seems rather random!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Littlebury 1986 by Bill Atkinson

19861023 Scan1596 53369+53367 Littlebury

Now that is interesting for showing an all blue unit in 1986 and with a tail load!

Also interesting as I was under the impression that 'lightweight' units could not haul tail loads - were the Cravens units not classified as such?

19 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

It is one of those isn’t it? Although it sort of looks like it’s still got seats in it.

I think you are correct, the leading car certainly still has seats. The photo is dated 23/10/86 and railcar says the two cars in the picture weren't converted until November, so perhaps they are pre-conversion in Bill Atkinson's shot?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Units were sometimes used for parcels, staff were supposed to put them on the floor (or possibly turn the seat base over).

I suppose if the unit was earmarked for parcels use but just hasn't been converted yet, then it wouldn't really matter anyway.

Edited by keefer

8 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I think you are correct, the leading car certainly still has seats. The photo is dated 23/10/86 and railcar says the two cars in the picture weren't converted until November, so perhaps they are pre-conversion in Bill Atkinson's shot?

That’s a good call Hexagon.

• Thanks 1