Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Those A/S Class 37 lights are just as they should be in my opinion. They were not lit up like Christmas Trees. 

Roy

We had this discussion in the Bachmann 37 thread, I have two both with Domino head code boxes in which the lighting is 'spot' on! The cab lighting on the 37/3 is quite a bit brighter than the 37/0 and I prefer the latter but neither are in your face. I vaguely seem to remember being able to dim lighting within reason by changing some CV settings, but I haven't messed around with CVs for ages. In the thread we also discussed painting the LEDs with clear orange paint to reduce brightness / change the colour. A bit like some car indicator light bulbs!

Incidentally I went for the Bachmann instead of the A/S as I just wanted a plain old BR Blue which A/S didn't do plus I was picking up SFXs for less than the A/S Sound versions and a 37 as isn't a must have for me but I'm still delighted with them. I only really like the 37 in BR Blue and think LL livery really doesn't suit them. The Class 56 on the other hand is perfect for the LL livery. 

Getting jealous as well. I have two on order from Collets so hopefully Leigh can get them out to customers early next week.

I am wobbling though. Is two enough having seen the fantastic images?!?

Does anyone know when 074 lost its beacon and gained the NRN aerial? It seems to still have the beacon in late 1988. I run 87 - 89, so any help would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

These do look (and sound) very nice; I could be tempted.  Is there an ETA on the drop in P4 wheels?

They’re in stock with retailers already Mark!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IRC said:

Getting jealous as well. I have two on order from Collets so hopefully Leigh can get them out to customers early next week.

Does anyone know when 074 lost its beacon and gained the NRN aerial? It seems to still have the beacon in late 1988. I run 87 - 89, so any help would be appreciated.

One of these? Now that would be something!

This is a great picture of it. A lot of horsepower in that yard.

0052 56074 Kellingley Colliery Knottingley

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, IRC said:

Seems to have received an aerial by January '89

56074 "Kellingley Colliery" on Arpley Stabling Point

But had the beacon in November '88

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Seems to have received an aerial by January '89

56074 "Kellingley Colliery" on Arpley Stabling Point

But had the beacon in November '88

Yes, it was that image at Gloucester that I saw as well. We’ll assume December 88 then!

Might have to go for 077 in Railfreight Grey then. That suits all of my period.

• RMweb Gold

The models seemed to be labelled Series 1 and Series 2 on the respective boxes. 

Perhaps Cavalex will clarify the differences as I was pleasantly surprised by the removable roof panel on 56055 compared to the images originally published. 

IMG_1668.jpeg.5d758c39885c8bb38ee477b12cf350bb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

Perhaps Cavalex will clarify the differences as I was pleasantly surprised by the removable roof panel on 56055 compared to the images originally published. 

I believe it is as on their website. Series 1 Romanian, Series 2 Romanian design, Doncaster built etc. see https://www.cavalexmodels.com/cavalex-class-56

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Southwich said:

They’re in stock with retailers already Mark!

Kind regards,

Will

Cheers Will.  I found the wheels on the Rails website, but it wouldn't allow me to add them to basket.  I've gone ahead and ordered a loco and emailed to ask if they can add wheels to the order.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Really tempted now the more I Look at the pictures! did any grids make it onto the GWR branches in the 1980s? im guessing they were only on the mainline on the mendip traffic mostly?

NL

In the mid 80s, the miner's strike resulted in class 56s (and 58s) appearing on a variety of freight due to the decrease in coal traffic.  That could provide the excuse that you're looking for...

33 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

What surprised you about the panel?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RBE said:

What surprised you about the panel?

The panel looked pre-modification in the basic images used by retailers on their websites. Obviously they were not photos of productions samples they were just basic images. 

That's a positive as far as I was concerned. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Really tempted now the more I Look at the pictures! did any grids make it onto the GWR branches in the 1980s? im guessing they were only on the mainline on the mendip traffic mostly?

NL

Does the Colnbrook branch count?!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wayne 56089 said:

Nice, they took payment for my 3 on Wednesday and I haven’t heard a thing since!

Ditto - I ordered a pair on Tuesday from a big retailer and they were dispatched today (so the e-mail says...)...

Having seen the photos on Wednesday I placed another order but no sign of that order being dispatched yet.

I expect they are inundated with order dispatches, so happy to wait a while.

Have to admit, if they had arrived sooner, the shop may have got richer, quicker!!!