RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

1 minute ago, RBE said:

Hi Nick, no the none sound fitted locos do not have a speaker pre installed. The speaker and chip are part of the extra price paid for the sound version. The fans do operate yes however we are currently in contact with ESU as to whether they should operate on DC.

Well will keep you updated when we know more. 

If you ordered a sound version then Rails should be able to swap the loco for the one that you ordered!

Thanks for your very speedy reply! Rails were not very helpful at all this week. I felt like I’d been told off by the Headmistress in one of their emails!  I was a bit peeved to say the least, as had preordered a sound fitted model two and a half years ago, but my credit card had changed in that time and in the week that they took to contact me after the 56’s were released, they had kindly sold my sound fitted version to someone else and are now showing they’ve sold out! I’ll order the Class 60 elsewhere! 😆

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi everyone, what a busy week!

This is the DCC Sound stock we have:

018 EWS x 4

019 RF Red stripe x 7

046 Construction x 3

055 LoadHaul x 4

097 Metals x 6

Railtour pair x 1 (only 3 DCC Ready)

We have all DCC ready numbers in stock currently (and there are plans for sound chips, so that might be a good route to the sold out sound ones!)

So here's the rub - we're travelling next week and after tonight we're not able to ship until next Saturday (10th)*. It's lousy timing but we thought it's better to be upfront rather than hastily arrange an attempt at normal service. And given how hectic this week has been that's a big ask - we've shipped over 300 grids so far! 

We're checking email/messages for support/delivery queries/returns, and we have people in place to help with things going wrong, but we don't want to commit to shipping next week. 

We also, frustratingly, have a small number of orders that were dropped off with DPD on Wednesday night that haven't updated tracking. We're assured that they are on the move, and things should resolve themselves shortly. Next on the list is to message the affected orders with an update but I wanted to be transparent here. In the future we're going to look at alternative shipping options also.

Lastly thank you for the kind words on here, we appreciate people ordering with us.

*we're going to call last orders at midnight, so anything ordered tonight will get to DPD tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I've several of the Hornby 'super detail' locomotives, and have encountered various 'issues'.  One even kept shedding / breaking wires at nearly every solder point and needed virtually all resoldering.

Light contacts are one known problem, but can either be 'realigned' or simply replaced by 'hard wiring' or sockets.

I love the fans working and haven't encountered the 'poor running problems' some complain about, so where possible, mine have the fans working.

I also like the opening doors - permits additional 'yard options / poses'.

Having said all of that, the CavAlex 56 is just in another league - super smooth and a very strong performer and that detailing is as all have said, fantastic - I'm loving the 'see through roof vents' as well.  With all of those superb details, nothing has fallen off, and handling is not considered 'an option' but something which can be done with confidence.

Removal / replacement of the body is also just so easy as well.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, uk_pm said:

On the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words (and I cannot add more superlatives than have been used already), I leave this here.  56 120 sits in the centre road at Doncaster, fresh from a proving run across the Pennines 

IMG_1145.jpeg

Awaiting a return to Crewe?

😉

1 hour ago, nickb4141 said:

Thanks for your very speedy reply! Rails were not very helpful at all this week. I felt like I’d been told off by the Headmistress in one of their emails!  I was a bit peeved to say the least, as had preordered a sound fitted model two and a half years ago, but my credit card had changed in that time and in the week that they took to contact me after the 56’s were released, they had kindly sold my sound fitted version to someone else and are now showing they’ve sold out! I’ll order the Class 60 elsewhere! 😆

I pre-ordered mine about the same time and I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed out after waiting two and a half years. What I didn't like about pre-ordering with Rails was the lack of communication when pre-orders are arriving / arrived. I waited two years for the Bachy 47 and then one day I just had an email to say that payment had been taken and it was on its way, luckily I was in that day and my card hadn't changed which is a good possibly after two years. My experience with other retailers is that they give you a courtesy call to confirm the details and then to sort out payment and delivery. I know some retailers complain about being messed about with pre-orders but I thought Rails took a deposit? Do you lose the deposit if they cannot supply what you've pre-ordered and decline their 'alternative'? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

We have all DCC ready numbers in stock currently (and there are plans for sound chips, so that might be a good route to the sold out sound ones!)

That's great to hear as I have waited too long to order a second sound version. Can I assume that the ESU speaker will also be available at the same time?

8 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I pre-ordered mine about the same time and I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed out after waiting two and a half years. What I didn't like about pre-ordering with Rails was the lack of communication when pre-orders are arriving / arrived. I waited two years for the Bachy 47 and then one day I just had an email to say that payment had been taken and it was on its way, luckily I was in that day and my card hadn't changed which is a good possibly after two years. My experience with other retailers is that they give you a courtesy call to confirm the details and then to sort out payment and delivery. I know some retailers complain about being messed about with pre-orders but I thought Rails took a deposit? Do you lose the deposit if they cannot supply what you've pre-ordered and decline their 'alternative'? 

Interesting that Rails didn't phone you. I had preordered a model a couple of years ago but in the mean time there had been fraud on the card so I had a new one. I got a phone call on a Saturday lunchtime which I was surprised about, asking what was the new card. I agree though that you don't get any notice just a mail to say it is on its way but then in my case they use DPD so you can reschedule.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 09:26, Wayne 56089 said:

Just out of curiosity has anyone received a DCC fitted version from rails yet? 

I'm still waiting for mine as well.  I pre-ordered a sound fitted 56008 mid May (different chip if I understand you correctly) . I'm from NZ so waiting for their email confirming postage costs.

On 01/02/2024 at 09:35, Carver Bridge TMD said:

No, I emailed and they said the silent fitted version they're having to fit themselves so it's taking a while

I also emailed  to check I was still on their list as Rails were advertising the Class 56's had arrived.  They replied with "... once this has been worked out we'll be able to contact you."  I think the response you got was a bit odd as a few days ago they were advertising that Sound fitted and DCC ready versions were available in store.

Anyway, crossing fingers they'll be sent through soon - they look really good. I just can't wait!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AMac said:

I'm still waiting for mine as well.  I pre-ordered a sound fitted 56008 mid May (different chip if I understand you correctly) . I'm from NZ so waiting for their email confirming postage costs.

I also emailed  to check I was still on their list as Rails were advertising the Class 56's had arrived.  They replied with "... once this has been worked out we'll be able to contact you."  I think the response you got was a bit odd as a few days ago they were advertising that Sound fitted and DCC ready versions were available in store.

Anyway, crossing fingers they'll be sent through soon - they look really good. I just can't wait!

My 56055 DCC fitted turned up today with my other 2. Haven’t had chance to run it yet as I’m in my way to work. I’m off Sunday night so will have a test session Sunday afternoon when I wake up. 

My two 56s arrived today, some 2 weeks after ordering and have to say, superb models. The ease of body removal and roof hatch access is so simple but very welcomed.

I have one query which I'm sure someone will be able to assist with. When running one of the locos at speed 1 and 2 on my Prodigy system, there is a very obvious jumping of the gears (kangaroo). Is this normal for DCC or is there potentially something else possibly wrong?

I'm new to DCC hence the question 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 37403 said:

My two 56s arrived today, some 2 weeks after ordering and have to say, superb models. The ease of body removal and roof hatch access is so simple but very welcomed.

I have one query which I'm sure someone will be able to assist with. When running one of the locos at speed 1 and 2 on my Prodigy system, there is a very obvious jumping of the gears (kangaroo). Is this normal for DCC or is there potentially something else possibly wrong?

I'm new to DCC hence the question 

Check the worm drive covers initially, see below (Page 59 for the post)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/165333-cavalex-all-new-class-56-in-oo/page/59/#comment-5414493

25 minutes ago, Chrisjh said:

Just wondering if anyone knows of any retailers who might have 56 008 BR Blue DCC sound for sale?, many thanks Chris 

Try phoning John Dutfield, he had a few sound models left when I spoke to him earlier in the week, or try Trains4U as they’ve had a few cancelled orders. Potluck at this stage.

I was lucky to be on the tour with these two so I think it’s fitting to keep the tour guidebook together with the models. Looking forward to running them this weekend, I’ve had them a few days but not had the time to get them on the layout! They certainly have a real presence about them, most impressive.

IMG_1716.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Hi Cav Alex and all other delighted 56ers :-)

I have been playing with my gorgeous 56019 resplendent with red buffers.

Like most new owners I am more than over the moon with my loco, BUT believe it or not for my measly sized railway room, as fabulous as the sound is, it’s a tad loud for me. 
I would like to turn the sound down a little. I use a 20yr old Lenz 100 and wondered if anyone could be kind enough to let me know which CV(s) to tweak to adjust it?

Many thanks in advance:-)

Richard

CV63  default = 192

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, taliesin said:

Try phoning John Dutfield, he had a few sound models left when I spoke to him earlier in the week, or try Trains4U as they’ve had a few cancelled orders. Potluck at this stage.

Many thanks thats great not sure who John Dutfield is? Best Wishes and thanks Chris 

2 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Rails sent me an email to say they couldn’t process my credit card late last Saturday, which I didn’t see until after they closed (they have my mobile number on file, but didn’t think to ring me) In the meantime, they sold out of the sound version online so I purchased a non sound version, as everywhere I looked was selling out. I sent an email reply to say what I had done and I got a reply on Monday morning to say they wouldn’t be refunding my deposit and I ‘well and truly had my legs slapped’ for doing this and as a gesture they would offer a gift card for the £30. I told them this was taking the mickey and eventually they relented and refunded the £30 deposit. They didn’t acknowledge the fact that they’d taken over a week from the 56’s arriving to contact me or the fact that they didn’t hold the version I pre-ordered. They also saw fit to sit on my order for five days before sending next day delivery, eventually arriving today. The moral of the story is Rails do what works for them, definitely not the customer! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

*we're going to call last orders at midnight, so anything ordered tonight will get to DPD tomorrow. 

Oh dear - just placed second order with you guys. Hopefully the sound decoders won't be too long.

• Friendly/supportive 1