Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

15 minutes ago, Wayne 56089 said:

Anyone been to Model rail Scotland today manage to find anything out?

IMG_2848.jpeg.542ddd1eb0c86f408328600eac680542.jpeg

Good to hear that a second run is planned but I did have to run after my wallet after reading that!! 

FB_IMG_1708718228569.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings NBL - with reference to your post on Wednesday, it looks like I'm vying for the title of the upgraded idiot !

The attached shows the main problem with my 56023. As you can see from the image the bogies had spread on both inner ends. On first opening the box, I noticed that both bogies had their outer ends facing outwards, due I suspect to the fact that the cradle securing screws were loose, with one close to coming adrift. I didn't notice the bogie spread issues at first, but on putting the loco on to the track, it moved a short distance, the motor over revving with a gear miss-meshing sound, and then derailed. It was then that I discovered the bogie spread issues and that both bogie securing clips were loose. Attempting to recentre the axles back into the bearings and press the rear of the bogies back together with the loco sitting in the cradle as per the photo didn't work, not helped by the pick ups also having bent.

I appreciate that I could have returned it, and have nothing but praise for Alex for his comms and feedback, but I decided not to wait however long while it went back by post to the supplier, then from them to Cavalex for repair, and so on, and so ended up removing the bogies, cleaned and degreased the gearing, lubricated very sparingly with some high quality light machine oil, and rebuilt the bogies, resoldering the wiring in the process - call it a Nigel Burkin F Exam if you will. It also gave me the chance to see just how superbly these have been designed.

023 now is now the best runner of the lot.

problem.jpg

40 minutes ago, tlm said:

Greetings NBL - with reference to your post on Wednesday, it looks like I'm vying for the title of the upgraded idiot !

The attached shows the main problem with my 56023. As you can see from the image the bogies had spread on both inner ends. On first opening the box, I noticed that both bogies had their outer ends facing outwards, due I suspect to the fact that the cradle securing screws were loose, with one close to coming adrift. I didn't notice the bogie spread issues at first, but on putting the loco on to the track, it moved a short distance, the motor over revving with a gear miss-meshing sound, and then derailed. It was then that I discovered the bogie spread issues and that both bogie securing clips were loose. Attempting to recentre the axles back into the bearings and press the rear of the bogies back together with the loco sitting in the cradle as per the photo didn't work, not helped by the pick ups also having bent.

I appreciate that I could have returned it, and have nothing but praise for Alex for his comms and feedback, but I decided not to wait however long while it went back by post to the supplier, then from them to Cavalex for repair, and so on, and so ended up removing the bogies, cleaned and degreased the gearing, lubricated very sparingly with some high quality light machine oil, and rebuilt the bogies, resoldering the wiring in the process - call it a Nigel Burkin F Exam if you will. It also gave me the chance to see just how superbly these have been designed.

023 now is now the best runner of the lot.

problem.jpg

Excellent. Sounds like you did a great job there!!! Far from an idiot.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

Great to see 302 in colas livery announced!

Any ideas on when the next full batch will

be announced? 

Next month or so all being well - we’re happy to accept suggestions in the meantime though! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Southwich said:

Next month or so all being well - we’re happy to accept suggestions in the meantime though! 

Kind regards,

Will

Well you spoke Will so…

The particular Colas variant I would want is 051 Survival with the “Romanian” style cab front, and then one of the UKRL Railfreight Grey ones (with the UKRL badging).

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo

9 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

An ex-works 1980's large logo, 084 to 115, take your pick. Also 036 in large logo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Well you spoke Will so…

The particular Colas variant I would want is 051 Survival with the “Romanian” style cab front, and then one of the UKRL Railfreight Grey ones (with the UKRL badging).

I think a UKRL one in grey (probably 56104 as 081/098 have been done as GBRf locos) would be very nice! I’d also like to throw a DCR green one (56303) or 56103 in unbranded Fertis livery into the ring…      a Fastline 56301 would be good but I think this is a no go due to the cabs.

Of course, I’m a modern image but I’ve been told by friends they would like Dutch or Transrail livery’s if you model further back in time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

Said it already but no harmbin saying again :

56 036 BR LL

56 040 'Oystermouth' BR Blue

56 135 As built Railfreight Grey

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Southwich said:

we’re happy to accept suggestions in the meantime though! 

Well since you ask...

...Please shrink it to a sensible scale 😉 then:

A long lived Colas machine (maybe 094 or 087) since they cover most of the 2010s as well as 2020s up to date modellers. Also there's renumbering potential if you pick the right loco. 

56091 or 103 in debranded white livery as used by DCR.

Jo

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

@RBE

56001 'Whatley' in BR Construction Sector (Pristine)

Preferably as a general release and if I say 'Please', could you make it happen?

(Subliminal messaging in the colours lol)

• Like 4

Very happy about 56302! Will go beautifully with 56049 double heading the logs 🪵 Immediately placed an order 😎 Thank you to Cavalex models and Rainbow Railways for making this happen.

59 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

@RBE

56001 'Whatley' in BR Construction Sector (Pristine)

Preferably as a general release and if I say 'Please', could you make it happen?

(Subliminal messaging in the colours lol)

This is guaranteed as I'm remembering 023 to 001.

I'll ask for 036 in large logo

046 in Dutch 

043 in blue

038 in metals 

034 original freight 

If all these are done I'll have to sell a kidney 

15 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Don't think I ever knew of that one!

Turns out Hornby did it (R2235G) as 'Ellington Colliery', but due an overhaul I am sure and presenting in an orange box!!

Oh yeah, I never knew that. Just the forty year old tooling and not DCC.

Lots of mentions for 56036 in large logo (was it the first or was that 047?). How about it in trainload petroleum?

56001 in Construction

56014 with unmatched cabs in Blue

56024 in Original Railfreight (last Romanian in that livery)

56036 in Large Logo

56048 in Dutch

56075 in unbranded tripe grey

56076 in Blue (Blyth Power)

56135 in Original Railfreight as built

Edited by Gtucker72

Having purchased a few of these fantastic locos I’d really love to see more Romanian BR Blue examples along with any Blyth Cambois / Gateshead outbased locos. Wouldn’t it be great to see 56076 Blyth Power or any BR Blue or large logo examples. I just remember the good old days of driving up the A1 with my brother in my first car and the awe of excitement as we got to the depots in the North East, gone but never forgotten. Can’t wait for the second run. You really have delivered the ultimate Class 56 and it can only get better. 

Edited by amarr40
Correction
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

Any of the Fastline Trio and 56311- would

always see them for crew changes at Rugby. 
I remember being called out one evening to a rail head defect, reported by station staff. Got to site and immediately obvious, the last train had gunned it and wheel spun, 4x grooves followed by 6x grooves. Turned out it was 56311 running with a traction motor isolated. Had to be stopped in Northampton for its wheels to be assessed. Got a nice easy O/T shift out of it to replace the rail. 

Any of these below would be good, as you can tell I like the early privatisation era. 

56003 Loadhaul
56004 Blue

56011EWS

56057 EW&S

56099 T Rail

56109 Unbranded Loadhaul

56111 Loadhaul

56115 EWS

56123 T Rail

56135 Unbranded Railfrieght