Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

001 was sans high intensity headlight whilst 625 was with - depending what OP was after. 625 also used the better class 47 tooling without exaggerated rivets.  The heavy weathering might not be to everyone’s taste and the large unusually positioned nameplate makes renumbering a little more complex. Oddly they didn’t sell well with KMRC discounting them to shift - I picked up 2 cheaply and added a spare body picked up at a show for £10.  Renumbering and naming is in my Round Tuit pile….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I agree it will come out eventually, but we have already had two plain BR blue versions with dominoes - 47012 and 47435 - so I would expect Bachmann to prioritise other liveries we haven’t already seen on the new tooling. Also, a plated with headlight BR blue version was one of the last from the previous tooling - a weathered 47625 as a Kernow MRC limited edition - which is pretty good if you can’t wait. I expect you could find one second hand. Or the body only is available from Bachmann spares if you have a chassis to fit it to.

I hope it wont be eventually, thats one thing that frustrates me with the models picked for production - the everyday that there was hundreds of getting overlooked for random niche or celebrity liveries.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

13 hours ago, Matt said:

001 was sans high intensity headlight whilst 625 was with - depending what OP was after. 625 also used the better class 47 tooling without exaggerated rivets.  The heavy weathering might not be to everyone’s taste and the large unusually positioned nameplate makes renumbering a little more complex. Oddly they didn’t sell well with KMRC discounting them to shift - I picked up 2 cheaply and added a spare body picked up at a show for £10.  Renumbering and naming is in my Round Tuit pile….

Those have been my thoughts exactly, If nothing is anounced over the next year. I will get two 625 bodies get them resprayed (I dont have the kit or room to do it) and then get numbering and weathering,

My other option is to buy a few 47012 and then fit plated headcodes from Shawplan. But would need to match the yellow.

We shall see!

(The high intensity light I can take or leave as I model 1980 -1985, so some had them some didn´t. Given the choice I would take one with out the light, but beggars cant be choosers)

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

17 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Does anyone know if Bachmann will bring out a plated headcode version in rail blue, the everyday loco of the early to mid 80s. Are there any anouncements due?

Or if there is a kit, shawplan or similar, to change the domino headcodes 47012?

Thanks

Class 47 in the snow at Doncaster

Photo Awwalker - Flickr

Hi, a complicated way for the headcodes is to buy a cheap 47004 and cut out the headcodes and file them into shape then pop out the glass panels and stick the replacents in with blacktack.

And if you want working headlights as well use the 47004 chassis. 

I have a few 47s with this mod using Hornby class 31 headlights with the glazing from the 47004 lights or even cut out the 47004 headlight and modify.

Its best to first drill small holes around the headcodes so they dont crack when cutting out and you can just carefully file down. The colour is a perfect match as well.20240322_100141.jpg.889f83a0761a7bbaf3692ad2d3d6beb1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shawplan Ref. 47-06 for the marker light surrounds. Useful for modifying the Vitrains headlight surround which is a bit odd.

Rail-tec transfers Ref. 9960 3D domino headcode dots. Ideal for replacing the oversized ones on the old Bachmann 47, useful if you need to alter the position of the dots (e.g. 47546), useful if you've lost one or both of the Vitrains 47 headcode domino inserts.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, GordonC said:

I hope it wont be eventually, thats one thing that frustrates me with the models picked for production - the everyday that there was hundreds of getting overlooked for random niche or celebrity liveries.

'Normal' versions of Railfreight and Railfreight Red Stripe would be most welcome. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GordonC said:

Strong agree. I've returned to British Outline modelling after 20-odd years on the US Outline 'darkside'. Modelling 70/80s standard blue and yellow is harder than it should be, with the seeming obsession for celebrity locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2024 at 20:24, alastairb said:

Strong agree. I've returned to British Outline modelling after 20-odd years on the US Outline 'darkside'. 

Snap!😃

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Picked this (below pics) Kernow exclusive 47 up at Ally Pally from Kernow stand. Lovely model, added the bits and put goalpost couplings on and a bit of weathering, but snowploughs too big so have to find some from somewhere.

However being a DC only modeler it was a bit disappointing it did not have cab lighting like previous Bachy’s. Lesson learned never assume. Unfortunately it was only after chatting to Bachmann near the end of the day they said they no longer do this on DC only models.

Their reason was, it was too complicated, and when I pressed that Cavelex could do it, they gave a politicians answer, “well as I said it’s too complicated”, me- “but as I said Cav can, why can’t Bach,” Bach “well as I just said before….” etc etc.

They sounded just like AS when I asked if the 31, and next batch of 37’s would have DC cab lighting, almost word for word. Cancelled my AS pre-orders on this basis.

Just got As crew to fit but could not undo screws

(cab lights for my dusk mode lights) EDIT Tues 2,bought at bargain £167

PXL_20240401_170536028.jpg

PXL_20240401_170723940.jpg

Edited by IOW O2
additional info, correction
  • Like 5

Sorry to hijack the thread, but quick question. I'm thinking of buying some Bachmann 47s (the newer model), but I'm unfamiliar with plux22 decoder. Is it possible to fit a different decoder to a dcc ready example, say a standard 21 pin decoder? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never come across a plux22, and have no desire to fit one for features such as working fan that doesn't bother me. Thanks. 

54 minutes ago, 125_driver said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but quick question. I'm thinking of buying some Bachmann 47s (the newer model), but I'm unfamiliar with plux22 decoder. Is it possible to fit a different decoder to a dcc ready example, say a standard 21 pin decoder? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never come across a plux22, and have no desire to fit one for features such as working fan that doesn't bother me. Thanks. 

You won’t be able to put a 21 pin decoder in as it will need a 22 pin connection. However it’s plug and play just like the 21 pin ones, open the model up plug in the Plux22 chip (you will need to buy a plux22 chip) and then it should have programming instructions with it. If you’re looking for more customisation by using a lokprogrammer or individually altering the CV’s on a programming track.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

However being a DC only modeler it was a bit disappointing it did not have cab lighting like previous Bachy’s. Lesson learned never assume. Unfortunately it was only after chatting to Bachmann near the end of the day they said they no longer do this on DC only models.

At first I thought this was a bit weird but indeed, the lighting is there but can only be accessed via a DCC chip. I agree the older models had switches for it:

LIGHTING:

Directional lighting, switchable on/off at either end on DCC or Analogue control

Cab lighting, assigned to two DCC functions for separate switching of each

Separately switched Engine Room lighting

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Picked this (below pics) Kernow exclusive 47 up at Ally Pally from Kernow stand. Lovely model, added the bits and put goalpost couplings on and a bit of weathering, but snowploughs too big so have to find some from somewhere.

Their reason was, it was too complicated, and when I pressed that Cavelex could do it, they gave a politicians answer, “well as I said it’s too complicated”, me- “but as I said Cav can, why can’t Bach,” Bach “well as I just said before….” etc etc.

They sounded just like AS when I asked if the 31, and next batch of 37’s would have DC cab lighting, almost word for word. Cancelled my AS pre-orders on this basis.

(cab lights for my dusk mode lights)

I’m confused. You moaned to Bachmann the 47 didn’t have DC cab lights, then cancelled your AS orders cos they said the 31 and 37 would ?

Why not stick with AS for the new models ?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Just to show you can't please everyone, I actively remove cab lighting from all of my locos once they go 'through the works' - taking the circuit board right out to prevent anyone running them with the cab interior light on - just as the amount of times I've been operating the Club layout at shows and you come back from lunch break to find your mates have lit up the fleet like a Christmas tree! 😄

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m confused. You moaned to Bachmann the 47 didn’t have DC cab lights, then cancelled your AS orders cos they said the 31 and 37 would ?

Why not stick with AS for the new models ?

Simple, and it's not so much a moan just a comment, I did not realise this had changed with Bachmann, and really bought for the price, no point getting the 31 & 37 for my dusk use without this.  I will look into more in the future. Cav 56 fits in as they have this feature and so will the their 60.  Not sure why AS say its complicated both makers AS and Cav used ESU I believe for the PCB.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Just to show you can't please everyone, .......

That is very true, I just assumed since it's been around so long it would be standard.  Maybe it could rewired.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably cab lights on DC will remain on while the loco is moving and off when stationary i.e. totally the opposite of prototypical practice.  I suspect IOW O2 you would be very much in the minority of wanting this "feature". 

What on earth were Bachmann thinking when they introduced this option 😏

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Just to show you can't please everyone, I actively remove cab lighting from all of my locos once they go 'through the works' - taking the circuit board right out to prevent anyone running them with the cab interior light on - just as the amount of times I've been operating the Club layout at shows and you come back from lunch break to find your mates have lit up the fleet like a Christmas tree! 😄

Yes we do the same but it is a mixed blessing as lights can be a useful indicator to rookie drivers that they have selected the right loco! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, James Makin said:

you come back from lunch break to find your mates have lit up the fleet like a Christmas tree! 😄

The drivers have put the cab lights on so they can look for the switch that turns the rear lights off👍

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

(cab lights for my dusk mode lights) EDIT Tues 2,bought at bargain £!^&

Complicated doesn't mean the same as impossible! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Don’t think I’ve seen SF grey roof 47s with ploughs. Presumably too warm in East Anglia to bother with them.

13 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

The drivers have put the cab lights on so they can look for the switch that turns the rear lights off👍

Once whilst in charge of a 33 on a Sheerness - Temple Mills scrap train in the dead of night stood at North Pole Junction had my mate brush the cab light switch on whilst standing up from the 2ndman's seat to get out to use the SPT - the resultant blinding flash after being in the relative pitch dark was almost painful .......... 😲

• Like 2