Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

I would like to show the contrast/differences between the Accurascale WCRC Mark 2B coaches and the Bachmann 39-354 MK2 coach, I was hoping both brands would go together in a rake but as you can see from the photo's the colour and the font branding applied are pretty different and basically don't match especially the colour for both body and roofs, in regards to the WCRC lettering the Accurascale font is visibly larger with more depth.

I had a browse on Flickr for photo's of the WCRC coaches and IMO Accurascale have captured the livery colour better where the Bachmann one appears to be a much darker chocolatey maroon if that's the best way to describe it.

I shall leave this here for everyone to discuss/debate but unfortunately I'm looking at selling on my Bachmann coach & cancel my pre-orders for the other Bachmann WCRC coaches due this year because of the glaring differences and when it comes to detail & lighting I will stick with Accurascale MK2's as they have gone up a couple of levels with these beauties.

Anyway, these are just my observations and if these differences are prototypically normal then yeah I'll stick with the Bachmann one and my pre-orders but atm I'm not convinced.

20240305_142604.jpg

20240305_142925.jpg

20240305_151506.jpg

20240305_172738.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I’ll just paste some flickr links here in response to the post above…

45596. Woodhouse Mill.

Southbound Express

45699(45627) | Green Gates

Roof colour has always been subjective, it always varies from vehicle to vehicle unless they were all painted at the same time. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

I would like to show the contrast/differences between the Accurascale WCRC Mark 2B coaches and the Bachmann 39-354 MK2 coach, I was hoping both brands would go together in a rake but as you can see from the photo's the colour and the font branding applied are pretty different and basically don't match especially the colour for both body and roofs, in regards to the WCRC lettering the Accurascale font is visibly larger with more depth.

I had a browse on Flickr for photo's of the WCRC coaches and IMO Accurascale have captured the livery colour better where the Bachmann one appears to be a much darker chocolatey maroon if that's the best way to describe it.

I shall leave this here for everyone to discuss/debate but unfortunately I'm looking at selling on my Bachmann coach & cancel my pre-orders for the other Bachmann WCRC coaches due this year because of the glaring differences and when it comes to detail & lighting I will stick with Accurascale MK2's as they have gone up a couple of levels with these beauties.

Anyway, these are just my observations and if these differences are prototypically normal then yeah I'll stick with the Bachmann one and my pre-orders but atm I'm not convinced.

20240305_142604.jpg

20240305_142925.jpg

20240305_151506.jpg

20240305_172738.jpg

That's disheartening, the Bachmann colours look like they are the same as the loco's and the coaches have always been brighter

47760 muskam 12-09-09.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Oh poop that's a massive difference. Can see me re-spraying my Bachmann coach now and getting some railtec decals as I've just fitted lights, passengers and weathered it ready for the newbies to arrive. Never even thought to check Bachmann had got the blooming colour right 🫣

Edited by Markn
  • Like 1

Personally, I think one can get a little too caught up on every coach must be the same colour. In reality they all weather differently and coaches get moved around. What I see in the pictures above are different shades of maroon within the sets as well as differences in the roofs. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

I agree to a certain extent, and actually quite like subtle differences, especially on the roofs, but looking at the post above of the two models, it makes it look like Bachmann have just stuck a wcrc logo on the side of a BR Maroon MK2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Markn said:

I agree to a certain extent, and actually quite like subtle differences, especially on the roofs, but looking at the post above of the two models, it makes it look like Bachmann have just stuck a wcrc logo on the side of a BR Maroon MK2.

Yes agree, the roof colour shade difference isn't as bad but the body colours for me are quite stark and gets worse the more I look at it.

Only got the Accurascale coaches today and only have that 1 Bachmann WCRC coach but when you look at them together in person not only the colour difference is prominent but also the 'West Coast Railways' lettering difference as in size is quite obvious which isn't picked out that well in the photo I posted above, hopefully this photo is better for comparison...Accurascale Coach is on the bottom.

Top photo under natural light and the bottom photo within a photo booth.

20240305_212039.jpg

20240305_230214.jpg

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, GD said:

That's disheartening, the Bachmann colours look like they are the same as the loco's and the coaches have always been brighter

47760 muskam 12-09-09.jpg

Cancelled my Bachmann preorders due to the livery. Sprayed my own. Br maroon for the loco and Br Crimson for the coaches.

Always a good idea to check out flickr IMO

Not my photos but u can easily find them by searching by numbers 

2024-03-05_09-54-58.jpg.e462835b5311afd6d5dfa149f31a6b6e.jpg

2024-03-05_09-53-43.jpg.58d025a40f8025ccfd7bee17ced9e136.jpg

You can never really tell on photos as I always find it tricky to capture the colours on my models but on face value I'd say the prototype is different to both but is obviously quite worn. 

I wouldn't worry about roof colours as weathering will sort that. Infact I try really hard to not have identical colours or weathering on my stock as they're always subtly different.

I've spent some time pondering the roof shape between the 2a and 2b as that's the biggest difference that sticks out for me

• Agree 1

Just now, Melton Works said:

A short vid of a 47 and MK1 coaches, I resprayed BR Maroon (Loco) and BR Crimson (coaches) Bachmann coaches look more like the 47, Accurascale ones are spot on in my opinion!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Melton Works said:

A short vid of a 47 and MK1 coaches, I resprayed BR Maroon (Loco) and BR Crimson (coaches) Bachmann coaches look more like the 47, Accurascale ones are spot on in my opinion!

The thing with this livery is weather conditions really impacts how vivid it looks... and it doesn't age well!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dj_crisp said:

The thing with this livery is weather conditions really impacts how vivid it looks... and it doesn't age well!

I totally agree with your previous post, just feel Bachmann have used the "worn" livery as their version of the livery. 

4 hours ago, classy52 said:

20240305_142604.jpg

20240305_142925.jpg

20240305_151506.jpg

20240305_172738.jpg

This was always going to be a tricky subject. I always thought that Bachmann simply used BR maroon and not West Coast Maroon in their MK2A’s (the colour on their forthcoming MK1’s will be interesting when they arrive, I assume they will be the same as used on the MK2A’s from pictures they have shared), where as the Accura examples have always been lighter on the pre production samples than the Bachmann so not a surprise there.

The Accurascale shade is definitely closer to the actual real life colour in my opinion, but arguably where they retain the ‘redness’ much better than the Bachmann offering, they may be slightly too light in reality. However I will reserve my judgement for when I see these in person as the way the light hits these really does affect the appearance. The real things varied a lot anyways, weathering differently into various shades - meaning they probably would not look out of place next to each other in a rake if roofs were weathered and some grime here and there - even the logo positions and sizes do vary slightly depending on the coach. 

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

This was always going to be a tricky subject. I always thought that Bachmann simply used BR maroon and not West Coast Maroon in their MK2A’s (the colour on their forthcoming MK1’s will be interesting when they arrive, I assume they will be the same as used on the MK2A’s from pictures they have shared), where as the Accura examples have always been lighter on the pre production samples than the Bachmann so not a surprise there.

The Accurascale shade is definitely closer to the actual real life colour in my opinion, but arguably where they retain the ‘redness’ much better than the Bachmann offering, they may be slightly too light in reality. However I will reserve my judgement for when I see these in person as the way the light hits these really does affect the appearance. The real things varied a lot anyways, weathering differently into various shades - meaning they probably would not look out of place next to each other in a rake if roofs were weathered and some grime here and there - even the logo positions and sizes do vary slightly depending on the coach. 

Shows the variation of West Coast red, certainly not B R maroon and that they were not all painted the same day.

3150  20-8-2013 045.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have a set of resprayed Hornby/Bachmann Mk.1’s and some Bachmann Mk.2f’s, it’s going to be interesting to see how those I’ve already got line up to these AS Mk.2b’s and c’s. 

I have faith in both AS and the resprays, I do think the rakes aren’t supposed to quite match and that a tolerance is allowed for a) colour and b) weathering. The WCRC rakes haven’t ever really matched but seen them be in various states. And that’s from having spent some time around them, the amount of soot and dirt that comes off a Steam engine does change how a coach would look as seen in photos above. I’m still very much looking forward to getting my hands on my WCRC ones!

518C2106-3BA9-46C0-8029-9B770D0667BB.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WCML100 said:

I always thought that Bachmann simply used BR maroon and not West Coast Maroon in their MK2A’s (the colour on their forthcoming MK1’s will be interesting when they arrive, I assume they will be the same as used on the MK2A’s from pictures they have shared), where as the Accura examples have always been lighter on the pre production samples than the Bachmann so not a surprise there.

The Accurascale shade is definitely closer to the actual real life colour in my opinion

I had a look at Bachmann's website and there is no difference in colour between their BR Maroon & WCRC Maroon coaches (colour type as stated in their product descriptions) and their forthcoming MK1's will be the same colour as their WCRC MK2's and basically resembles the WCRC locomotives.

I know there are prototypical colour variations with the WCRC coaches but I've yet to see one that has the same colour as the WCRC loco or in BR Maroon thus as per post from WCML100 I have to agree that Accurascale have got it spot on and look more like the real thing and will allow you more scope when weathering and create those prototypical variations whereas the Bachmann versions are simply too dark and incorrect IMO.

This is a shame because I was hoping the Bachmann versions would closely match the Accurascale ones but if you don't weather them, then to me they are chalk & cheese when it comes to the colour and yes in the end it is all down to individual tastes.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Personally, I think one can get a little too caught up on every coach must be the same colour. In reality they all weather differently and coaches get moved around. What I see in the pictures above are different shades of maroon within the sets as well as differences in the roofs. 

Red/Maroon is notorious for fading as it ages.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, matchmaker said:

Red/Maroon is notorious for fading as it ages.

By the time the summers over and they have been out running on the garden railways the sun will have bleached them to perfection,hang them on the washing line until September,they too have a lifetime warranty and it covers weathered items :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

My personal opinion is you can mix Bachmann and Accurascale coaches. The west coast railway logo may give it away, the differences in colour I do not see as a problem. Don't put your noses too close to your layouts and you may not notice... 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

My personal opinion is you can mix Bachmann and Accurascale coaches. The west coast railway logo may give it away, the differences in colour I do not see as a problem. Don't put your noses too close to your layouts and you may not notice... 😄

At least it seems that the NSE coaches are a good match 👍

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

At a typical exhibition you're viewing from at least 3 feet away.

1 hour ago, Melton Works said:

At least it seems that the NSE coaches are a good match 👍

Yeah.... just don't put a ruler along those stripes.

20240306_133114.jpg.107064e8e934a641a868762650a4600d.jpg

All of mine have a bend.... Maybe it's prototypical 😀

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So my three NSE Mk2Bs were delivered to my neighbour this morning ready for me to pick up at 3 o'clock.

Along with the blue and grey ones I ordered I'd just like to give a huge thank you to Accurasale for making these available and I can barely express how happy I am with all the coaches.

Long may this quality of coach continue.

BTW any bend on my NSE stock is negligable:

Mk2BAccurascale.jpg.1a3e55b3f63765560aff97c28e42195f.jpg

• Like 13